Limp mode

Alain.au

My 313CDI campervan goes to limp mode from time to time; I understand it is a computer bug, ie a sensor detecting a potential problem. Changing gear or pumping once on the accelerator solves the problem.
It started 6 month ago after one of the reverse sensors (connected to the reverse light) got crushed driving up a driveway. At the time I also changed the campervan battery (linked to solar panel, fridge etc...) and got diesel from a pump just serviced at a Shell station (possible fuel contamination?)
As the van still drive OK otherwise and Mercedes does not have an answer, I'd like to do some reading on the situation, ie location of sensors around the steering mechanism, for reversing, fuel pump etc... resetting the computer (can this be achieved by disconnecting the main battery)
Any help much appreciated, Alain

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
LIMP MODE Alain.au locked thread.

Suggest your problem was A disconnection of battery with out hooking up a memory anti-zap minder.
Either your crushed reverse light sensor {SOUNDS LIKE AN AFTER-Market job.not MB}is two wires touching together, and creating a voltage spike.
AUX Dual Battery systems:... If wired to AUX main-start battery, have you a stand-alone aux system with a microprocessor?
Richard
Thread open>

Last edited:

Alain.au

Hi Richard,
thanks again...I think you replied to my first post 6 months ago.
I started a new one this time and I am still not doing it right (re locked thread/post...sorry, I am not too good at using this site).
Today I drove to the beach and back and the van was all OK. So the problem is intermittent; it only happens on a left turn and lifting the foot from the accelerator then accelerating again fixes it. That why I am thinking about something in the tank. I can also add the following as I'd love the problem fixed...
The reverse sensor YD2300 was installed by the people who built the campervan; the wire of one of the 3 sensors was cut, ie two wires would have touched together at some point; I have now disconnected the reverse sensor unit from the reverse light. Can MB check/fix anything here?
The other battery was also installed by the people who built the campervan. It runs lights, water pump, fridge etc and is recharged by solar panel, whilst driving or when hooked to power at camping sites.
I disconnected the batteries 2 years ago when I went o'seas for 2 months; that did not seem to have created a problem at the time.
The electrical is quite involved...with Hot water system, TV, DVD player, lights etc..maybe the reason MB is not keen to get involved; last time they told me they could not find anything wrong and quoted $450 to check the fuel tank!
So far I have not contacted the people who built the campervan...maybe I should?
maybe I should pay you a visit...seriously that's on the cards!
Cheers, Alain

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Richard,
thanks again...I think you replied to my first post 6 months ago.
I started a new one this time and I am still not doing it right (re locked thread/post...sorry, I am not too good at using this site).
No problem Admin unlocked it.:thumbup:
Today I drove to the beach and back and the van was all OK. So the problem is intermittent; it only happens on a left turn and lifting the foot from the accelerator then accelerating again fixes it. That why I am thinking about something in the tank. I can also add the following as I'd love the problem fixed...
The reverse sensor YD2300 was installed by the people who built the campervan; the wire of one of the 3 sensors was cut, ie two wires would have touched together at some point; I have now disconnected the reverse sensor unit from the reverse light. Can MB check/fix anything here?
This depends on what the auto electrician spiced into????? MB won't be interested.
The other battery was also installed by the people who built the campervan. It runs lights, water pump, fridge etc and is recharged by solar panel, whilst driving or when hooked to power at camping sites.
I disconnected the batteries 2 years ago when I went o'seas for 2 months; that did not seem to have created a problem at the time.
The electrical is quite involved...with Hot water system, TV, DVD player, lights etc..maybe the reason MB is not keen to get involved; last time they told me they could not find anything wrong and quoted $450 to check the fuel tank!
So far I have not contacted the people who built the campervan...maybe I should?
maybe I should pay you a visit...seriously that's on the cards!
Cheers, Alain
Alain MB versus up-lifter:bash: The two never get along with each other.
First off What year is your Van Tin or NCV.
If your losing power on a left turn maybe wiring loom has chaffed and causing a brown out for a breif second or two?NCV did have a recall on this and sensor which caused a limp mode effect.

To me fixing your electrical issues as it's not MB I would personally do a voltage check on the lot especially with your AUX system: I do not know what you have . but it is fixable.:thumbup:

Is your solar set up BP or simular,and do you run one or two AUX batteries as the will be on your system a single battery fuel gauge or a twin fuel guage plus a voltage read-out.
I would need to know what it is connected two from cabling splicing and if it is connected to MB's rat nest or direct to your mains start battery.

Better still come on down and we can go through your set up and I could suggest as to what needs throwing out and replaced with something better plus some fail-safe dash board monitors for you to keep an eye on. I think your problems may be simply an electronic misconfiguration, and not so much MB.
I noticed you had a fuel pump replaced ,It might pay to look at your fuel filter and see if the wiring going to it is exposed there are two filter and one now being sold is an issue
such as this one.Richard
KL 195 is for the 5-inline it's offset against the KL174
If your not careful the wires can be stretched out of the loom.
NO CODES will show as a fault as it's intermittent.
DSC00165 (Custom).JPG
The 5 inline fuel line fittings must be correctly realigned or an air leak will cause a fuel fluctuation as the flute is not the same as the original KL 174
DSC00166 (Custom).JPG
It takes about three to five minutes to reroute the wiring loom to fit snugly as pic shows.
DSC00157 (Custom).JPG
Correct positioning.
DSC00160 (Custom).JPG
Clamps must be MB do not use any other type ever or look alike aftermarket crimps, as the metal is too soft.

DSC00158 (Custom).JPG
Richard

Top Bottom