What is the badging on your Sprinter?

What is the badging on your Sprinter?

• Total voters

Zach Woods

Howdy Folks -

What is the badging on your Sprinter? In other words, did you change the badging or leave it as was? Did you change the badging and if so, what did you change from and to?

This poll is intended to keep a running tally of what badging is most popular!

Zach

Zach Woods

Howdy -

Badging can get complex - at least in the case of some RV's:

My Airstream Sprinter Westfalia was sold with Dodge badging on the outside of the vehicle (and the usual Mercedes logos on lots of parts) but I changed it over to Mercedes as I see that as it's birthright! It is titled as a Freightliner, though (I am guessing that Westfalia started planning to sell in the US when only Freightliners were available and not Dodge's but then changed over to Dodge badging when that became an option).

To make things more complex (and much to the amusement of my wife), the vehicle has at least the following brand names on it (and this is before I re-badged it as a Mercedes!):

Airstream
Westfalia (now owned by Mercedes)
Dodge
Mercedes
Freightliner
Thor (owner of Airstream)

I am certain this list would get mighty unwieldy if I included all of the "aftermarket" parts that both Westfalia and Airstream installed when they converted the vehicle into a Mercedes James Cook (the European name for the Airstream Sprinter Westalia - although there are differences between the Euro and North American campers).

Zach

Zach Woods

It's been very interesting to follow the results of this poll.

The result that catches me the most off guard to date is the lack of Freightliners that are turning up. Where are you all?

Let us know how your Sprinter is badged!

Zach

Atlee

It's been very interesting to follow the results of this poll.

The result that catches me the most off guard to date is the lack of Freightliners that are turning up. Where are you all?

Let us know how your Sprinter is badged!

Zach
Actually that sort of surprised me too. However, I just found this site tonight. My LTV Free Spirit 210A is built on a 2003 Freightliner badged Sprinter. I like the FL badge and would not change it to MB. My van is not a "Big Boy" truck, but it certainly has the same name. :D

bobinyelm

Being too cheap to properly rebadge my "Dodge" Sprinter, I removed the Dodge hood badge as well as the logo on the left rear door in protest to DC's practice of selling MBs as other brands.

Bob

topless

Wichita, KS
My Gulfstream was badged as a Freightliner, however both black inserts with the "Freightliner" script have decided to bail. I lost the front one and purchased a replacement and caught the rear one just before it fell off. I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it sticks real well to the plastic chrome and not worth a darn to the back of the logo.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
My Gulfstream was badged as a Freightliner, however both black inserts with the "Freightliner" script have decided to bail. I lost the front one and purchased a replacement and caught the rear one just before it fell off. I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it sticks real well to the plastic chrome and not worth a darn to the back of the logo.

Go to the 2001-2006 Body Technical information. There is a DIY article there.

michigandon

Sorry guys, but I can think of a lot of things I'd rather blow Three Bills on than that grille conversion kit. I guess I'm wierd, I actually think it wears the Dodge name quite well. The placement of the star in the grille of the Euro models never looked "right" to me for some reason. :(

I do have a three-pointed star from the trunk of a 240D that I parted out earlier this year. I think I'm going to cut out a piece of sheet metal the size of a license plate, paint it white, bolt the star to it, and mount it in the front license plate holder. :cool:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
My Leisure Travel was built as a 2004 Freightliner, titled as a 2005 Leisure Travel, came up as a "Dodge Sprinter" when I gave the VIN to my insurance company so is insured as a Dodge, and wears the MB grill, etc. proudly.

I, too, was a teensy bit reluctant to spend the bucks at first, but like topless, my Freightliner oval bailed out from my front grill. I decided it was sending me a message and ordered the MB kit (it didn't take much persuasion; I'm good at rationalizing things). My DW likes it; she always wanted a Mercedes. She questioned whether it was really legitimate, so I showed her the tiny 3-pointed stars on all the door glass and windshield.

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
HI GUYS NEW TO THE BLOCK, " SO TO SPEAK''.
MY MERCEDES-BENZ sPRINTER TWO OF ARE THE GENUINE sTAR OF THE sTARS:D
DRIVE A MERCEDES AND TRUST ME YOU KNOW IT AND SO DO THOSE WHO LOOK OUT OF THE CORNER OF THOSE LITTLE EYEBALLS, ALL GREEN WITH ENVEY:lol:DOUBLE CLICK FOR FULL VIEW:thumbup:

wheelhealer

Hi guys,

It was mercedes when I picked it up from the dealer, 7 hours ago, and its still the same..............I must have opened the door to look at it 20 times in between.:eek:
MWB High roof in Brilliant Silver, lowest output engine, basic with some extras and its great to drive:thumbup: - only done 10 miles so far out of the 50 recorded.:D

good forum, back soon

frostback

junior sprinter
I just bought the Merc grille and shaved everything else. An unexpected advantage is that reaching the hood release is slightly easier through the cutout. Besides my eurocar sensibilities wouldn't tolerate a Dodge in the driveway. ;)

Zach Woods

The early "Once a Dodge, always a Dodge" lead is slipping away . . .

Looks like "Was a Dodge, now a Mercedes" is nearly neck and neck!

zigzagguzzi

05 Interstate, N. Fl.
Mine has an MB grille and badge in front, still says Dodge in back with the MB decal. Just to mess with people's heads! So how do I vote? jim

methodvan

i'm no material boy, but it seems like dodge badging on the sprinter looks counterfeit and cheap. the vehicle clearly looks like an import and not a remodeled ram van that america is use to seing clogging up the highway. the sprinter is the most un-dodge looking dodge since the ram-50 mitsu and colts of the 80's. convincing someone it's dodge is much more difficult than the opposite; convincing 'em it's mercedes.

it just looks much more organic as a mercedes than as a dodge, period. and, oddly enough for those dodge purist, the recipe for a complete conversion to mercedes specs is by esssentially changing the grill and hub caps. ouch, guess dodge didn't build too much of this baby.

this van is real odd duck here in the state and it's sales so far in the private sector have really been effected by that..

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
The old Dodge vans were so over due for a face lift that it was not even funny. The body remained mostly unchanged from 1979 through its final(ly!) production year of 04(?). I owned a few of them and they got the job done. Ford and Chevy do the same thing. Catering to tradesmen is not high on their list. Most changes are federal mandates pertaining to saftey or emmisions.

Sprinter an "odd duck"? Well is certainly looks different than anything to hit these shores but I feel that people are quite accustomed to the look now (I don't get nearly the number of crazy looks anymore:D )

As far as the grille? Well mine's a Freightliner who, like Dodge is owned by Mercedes. While I do like the Mercedes grille, I like the look of the stock grill/badging just fine and sort of think owning a "Freightliner" is cool! Not until the factory equipment is damaged or badly weathered would I spend the money. I'm not all about the "bling" and have nothing to prove to anyone!:thumbup: :smilewink:

michigandon

Not until the factory equipment is damaged or badly weathered would I spend the money. I'm not all about the "bling" and have nothing to prove to anyone!:thumbup: :smilewink:
Yah, maybe when I hit a deer (and yes, in this part of the country that IS a "when", not an "if") I'll see if I can faniggle an MB grille conversion into my comprehensive claim. :D

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Have not run into a deer as of yet, as they are up in the highlands:thinking:
But we have roo in plauge proportions .
Which is why we run Roo bars:yell:
The Kangaroo Hop, Australia.jpg

Top Bottom