Diesel Engine Chip Tuning

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Diesel Engine Chip Tuning

[Note: to make the links below work, you should be logged into YahooSprinterVan]

Chip retuning is claimed to give better torque and mileage. Sprinter Store seems to have documented better torque, but better mileage confirmation does not seem to be as well documented - my InMotion retuning does not seem to have resulted in better mileage as an example. There are also other concerns with regard to the impact retuning could have on the engine's longevity. Read the several well informed discussions archived on Yahoo SprinterVan.

Sprinterstore
Diesel ECU Tuning Module
Rechip the Sprinter 2.7 ECM for improved performance under load conditions. Not as clear that there is a benefit under no-load conditions.
http://www.sprinterstore.com/sprinter_power_module_chip.htm

Diesel ECU Tuning Module - Van Aaken
Van Aaken model customer
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/29740

Diesel ECU chip replacement
Read this for DC's OM 647 replacement chip policy (my guess is that this policy also applies to the OM 612s).
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/30687

InMotion
InMotion. This is not a chip replacement, but a retuned OEM chip. See Yahoo SprinterVan Post 25662 for other claims. See also 27647 for a mechanical engineer's comments on the physics. Remember the adage of being an informed consumer. InMotion rarely answers email or questions. Telephone contact is almost impossible - but I have never seen a complaint of lost/no service. Several names are associated with the address, but probably one person. InMotion does not follow up on promise to give instructions on ECU removal and packaging. See DIY:Cruise Control for ECU removal. Pack in Express Mail Flat Rate envelope w/ 1 layer 3/8" bubble wrap. See Post 32605 for additional service of cloned replacement ECUs at about $200 less then DC.
http://www.inmotionusa.com/

Diesel ECU reprograming - InMotion
Discussion on governor reprograming options. Note that as of 10/2006, software for reprograming latest Sprinter (2006?) ECU chips for the governor not available.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/27947

Diesel ECU reprograming experience - Inmotion
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/25752

Diesel ECU tuning - InMotion Austria
Home site of InMotion USA. Note that this site implies a chip replacement. However, whatever the description, in the US it is a reprograming, not replacement of any component of the ECU.
http://www.tuning-chip.at/kontaktset.htm

Diesel ECU tuning - education on the physics
Explaination on how increased torque keeps RPM the same for less fuel.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/27647

Last edited:

urbanbye

I've already seen the postings on Yahoo. The story remains incomplete to me though. Why did MB de-tune the Sprinter for the US market?

It seems to me that two of the most important things in purchasing any vehicle would be power and MPG. This is especially important in the US market, where HP numbers are one of the first thing anyone looks at.

Why would MB intentionally de-tune the Sprinter for the US? The marketing departments would never have allowed this, even at the expense of reliability.

There also seems to be a consensus that the tuning kits also improve the driveability of the Sprinter. That's kind of hard to overlook.

Arthur

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I've already seen the postings on Yahoo. The story remains incomplete to me though. Why did MB de-tune the Sprinter for the US market?

Why would MB intentionally de-tune the Sprinter for the US? The marketing departments would never have allowed this, even at the expense of reliability.

There also seems to be a consensus that the tuning kits also improve the driveability of the Sprinter. That's kind of hard to overlook.

Arthur
I don't think MB is ever going to answer that question to anyone's satisfaction.

I think it's best just to do what you want to do to your Sprinter, take any risks and accept any rewards or consequences.

-Jon

Pistonbroke

I fitted a chip to my 311CDi (chassis cab with a 11ft box body) that I brought from a company in germany via eBay (there called avrieb or something similar) noticable power increase but best of all around 20% better fuel economy.
I gather one of the main reasons why US vehicles are de tuned is that Diesel is poorer quality in the US compared with UK and Europe(Cetane levels etc) and emmisions

I dont know if it makes much of a differance to emmisions but I do dsconnect it for its annual service and I have used it for around 18months
it plugs into the socket at the front of the common rail, and there original lead plugs into the chip.

regards
Jon

rpmckee

I have heard that all European diesels are detuned because of fuel Quality.

I have an 09 Sprinter that I am curious to chip.

funpilot

Any chance of getting some current feedback on doing this tuning thing on new models. I think diesel fuel is suppose to be getting better here in the US or is that just not so and if yes, does that encourage us to retune the engine? I am particularly interested in the 2013 and 2104 Sprinter model years.

Hello Friends.
I am wondering if anyone has had luck with these in line tuning chips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121107813293

I have a 10000 mile trip coming up and if this does anything it could pay for itself in that journey.

Thank you,
Nolan
I can't answer your question.

I can say that I don't see a 2.7L engine listed under Sprinter. All I saw was 2.2L and 3.0L engines. You should find 154 hp for a 2.7L 5 cylinder engine on the list.

vic

Wow Vic,
You are FAST!
I will write to them.
I am planning on doing the Green Diesel tuning in the spring once I have some new equipment.

Yesterday the shorty lost a drag race to a BMW. I hooked up good and got the hole shot on him but lit up a tire when the boost came up at the same time there was some moisture on the road. I got connected again but it was too late. I came home thinking about more fuel, more boost fresh programming and .............. .......

lindenengineering

Wow Vic,
You are FAST!
I will write to them.
I am planning on doing the Green Diesel tuning in the spring once I have some new equipment.

Yesterday the shorty lost a drag race to a BMW. I hooked up good and got the hole shot on him but lit up a tire when the boost came up at the same time there was some moisture on the road. I got connected again but it was too late. I came home thinking about more fuel, more boost fresh programming and .............. .......
Blown Engine and/ or Drive Line

I will have a box of hankies reserved for you to cry into as they rip the dollars out of your wallet to pay for the repair that will most likely come.
If you were street racing don't do it! The outcome is rarely positive!
People die as a consequence and perpetrators are sent to prison for it!
Dennis
p.s
Thinking of a late wife & child who died too young in life because of stupidity and carelessness the road!

I will write to them.
I thought that others with more knowledge would chime in by now. The units you are looking at substitute values for sensors to change operating inputs/outputs to the ECM. They are not generally well thought of in the tuning world. That said, I've not much interest in tuning so you should probably listen to others if they disagree with my above comment.

Your 2004 doesn't have the OM612 engine... BUT, even if it did the NAS aka NAFTA OM612 has an EGR. I'm next to positive that the Euro models never had that so it might affect the "tuning" you are looking into. The link that you posted seems to apply to Euro models.

OM612 is NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 5 cylinder engine.
OM647 is NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 5 cylinder engine.

They are the same block. There are big differences in ECM design and some other controls.

Some Euro info is here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/mercedes-...ference-which-model-/10000000001511966/g.html

vic

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Wow Vic,
You are FAST!
I will write to them.

That is the best tuner in the business, my 2010 will go untuned until Green Diesel makes a tune available. I have 3 of their tunes, and one vehicle even has a fuel saving TCM tune. See my Sig below.

GDE ECO Tuned 2005 Sprinter Cargo Van 140
GDE HOT Tuned 2006 Liberty CRD LTD with GDE Tuned TCM,
GDE ECO Tuned 2006 Liberty CRD Sport

I have absolutely no experience with that company, Green Diesel Engineering, or any other tune.

I looked at the link you provided. Given the price of the unit you highlighted, and based upon positive comments here about similar price range GDE Sprinter tunes, my recommendation would be to first explore the GDE options. Many people have been happy with their products and service. Why take a chance on another product?

I have no connection or interest with GDE.

:cheers: vic

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
That is the best tuner in the business, my 2010 will go untuned until Green Diesel makes a tune available. I have 3 of their tunes, and one vehicle even has a fuel saving TCM tune. See my Sig below.

GDE ECO Tuned 2005 Sprinter Cargo Van 140
GDE HOT Tuned 2006 Liberty CRD LTD with GDE Tuned TCM,
GDE ECO Tuned 2006 Liberty CRD Sport
I second that.
Ability to access the stock tune and reload yourself it is important.

Street racing a Sprinter?

RVing555

MPG Help Needed: Diesel Engine Chip Tuning

JPrueter,

I'm thinking seriously about the same product: https://www.chipexpress.com/products/4498/. I like what I see... pricey at about $505 US dollars, but I DO like what I see.

Did you buy and install their product? What did you end up going with?

My issue: I averaged 8.5 MPG in my 2014 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 (3.0 L, 188 bhp) stock, before doing any diesel engine chip tuning. We just returned from a 7,000 mile trip. With 24,000 miles on the engine I was expecting MPG somewhere in the range of 10 to 15 MPG.
Highway speeds averaged 60 to 65 MPH.

I have a Forest River Solera 24R (14 1/2 foot long), so MB Sprinter 3500 3.0L chassis. Total weight around 13,000 loaded.

I LOVE the RV but DON'T love the 8.5 average MPG.

I've read a bit about Diesel Engine Chip Tuning and see that it will help. I'd like to buy the right one for my situation.

I'm looking for help if anyone has good ideas for me.

Thanks!

Gary

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
If you are seeing only 8.5 mpg then something is wrong, and that fault will need to be corrected before you do anything else. An NCV3 Sprinter Class C RV in stock trim at 60-65 mph should yield at least 14 mpg on average, and that would be on the low side.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Well Bud, If you are getting 8-ish MPG something is way wrong.

For starters.... You say you are gross weight of 13,000 lbs. The GVWR on your Solera/Sprinter 3500 is 11,030 lbs. You are 2,000 LBS over gross vehicle weight rating. ONE TON OVER GROSS!!! Weight reduction would be a good place to start........

The vast majority of Class C, Sprinter 3500s with the V6 manage 14 - 16ish....tossing out the highs and lows. That said, a lot of the "efficiency" or "ineffeiency" is in the aerodynamics associated with forcing a 24' x 11' BARN through the air. Notably the bluff back rear end create huge aero drag. Solera is a bit different in design as the "bunk" above the cab appears to protrude farther than some others.
With that big snout punching the air and trapping air under it, I'd expect a bit less MPG than other Class Cs.

And, the square edges and flat surfaces behind the doors where the coach widens also adds air resistance. Many other coaches have faired this point or at least designed large radius corners to smooth the air flow.

Are you towing? If so...subtract another tiny bit from your MPG.

Maybe your losses are in your driving "style?" Hard accelleration. Late braking. Pushing into head and side winds, hammerin up grades and hills, not taking advantage of gravity on the downslide all eat into your MPG.

Diesels are not gas engines... The harder you step in the loud pedal the more fuel is injected into the cylinders. Use the power you need...just.

Crow' opine is that "chipping" is not your answer. It would end up being a very expensive mistake....

Top Bottom