Roof Vents

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I ordered my fantastic vent from here...

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/

This was the only place that I know that will let you order with the lower profile vent cover and a un-cut plastic trim. Many options to customize your order.

I wanted the flat vent cover vs the one shaped like a dome. I didn't know what the space was between the roof and the headliner so I ordered it uncut. You can have him cut it to your specs too.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I ordered my fantastic vent from here...

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/
mee too the fantastic fans is just that-fantastic
Adhoen actually just has them drop shipped from the factory...

I had the lift motor for the dome break:

2 minutes on hold, first person is a tech.
he sent me out a new one the next day and included the entire mechanism, no questions asked, no charge

I was absolutely amazed that in 2006 someone answes the phone, no runaround, no charge and I'm sorry that shouldn't have happened...

Cheers
George

Expert Marine

Electronics
Which model did you choose. Any pics of it installed?
I was thinking a solar powered one that would run all day, and keep the inside cooler. It cooks in there!
There is a place in the roof that is circular.
What do you all recommend?

jmsokol

Just by casual viewing of the websites, the Maxx Fan seems like a better solution than a Fantastic Fan, at least for my Expeditor style Sprinter application. It appears that the Maxx Fans don't need to close to be rain-proof, and can be used both stationary and while moving. The Fantastic Fan requires cover closure via a rain sensor to avoid water coming in the opening and I'm not sure about leaving it open while moving. Also, the Maxx Fan looks like it "tucks down" when off to limit some clearance issues you might have with the Maxx Vent or Turbo Maxx product line.

However, I have only seen Fantastic Fans installed in Sprinters, at least where I've looked. So is the Fantastic Fan a better solution than a Maxx Fan or is the Maxx Fan just new to the game?

Thanks for any input.

JMS

twistyroad

The MaxxFan on an '08 144" passenger van...
history13sm.jpg

...and closed.
history14sm.jpg

But I have to admit, cutting that 14x14" hole can be pretty traumatic! :eek:
history12sm.jpg

twistyroad

I went with the LCD wall control... same functions as the wireless model, but I mounted it on the driver's B-pillar, above the shoulder harness reel... displaced the (useless) driver-side coat-hook.

jmsokol

Thanks for the Maxx Fan info. I called them yesterday and had a discussion with Dave (I think) in tech support. He verified that the Maxx Fan is usable in rain or shine while moving or stationary, and that the advanced controllers (LCD and remote) can be used to set a temperature setpoint for the fan to come on automatically when the interior gets too hot. And yes you're correct that this won't cool the van below ambient exterior temperature. But it can keep the van from turning into an oven with the internal temp climbing to 120 degrees F or more.

Ideally, I could mount a small (30 watt?) solar panel on the roof to recharge the house battery during sunny days when I'm parked in a lot for a week or more and want to limit inside temp climb. I did this before with a little solar roof mount fan on my GMC van, and while it didn't provide a lot of ventilation, it was nice climbing into the Sprinter after a week in a Texas airport parking lot and not have the interior be able to fry eggs.

If I go through with this I'll post pictures of the hole cutting procedure (yikes!!!) as well as any wiring installation.

JMS

mntlaurel45

I installed the Maxxfan on our '06 SHC.Got the one with the wireless remote.I can leave the van and set the temp so when it reaches the setting the fan goes on.Dosen't cool the van but at least keeps it the same temp as out side.We are very pleased with it.I had the roof done with a Rino type material and had the roof flange on so it is completly sealed.
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7657&d=1210355830
Can you please tell me where you connectd the fan wires for power?

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I added a Maxx-Fan vent to my 2002 140 WB sprinter.

You have to make a 14 inch square opening in the roof of the Sprinter for a power vent. I hate making holes in roofs - once you start, you are totally committed - so I made cardboard template to check everything with. Measured the roof, marked it, measured it again, then tried the template, then drilled out 3/8 inch holes at the four corners, and made the hole with a power saber saw from inside the van (very very loud). Installed insert that will support the vent - Its got weather adhesive between the plastic insert along with 16 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts holding that on to the roof. The power roof vent dropped on (4 bolts holding that onto the plastic part bolted to the roof of the van). Its in. It took about 2 1/2 hours to put the vent in and at least 3 days of agonizing about possibly screwing up the roof. The roof is fine and I continue to make progress on the Sprinter.

Attachments

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I also bought the Maxxair. Reasons: did not need to have rain sensor, looked more substantial with two support hinges instead of one. I did have a conversation with a local RV service shop and he said all fans with plastic flanges can be a problem with the plastic flange cracking. I will make a plywood frame with the same bolt hole pattern. The plywood frame will be inside under the steel roof. Instead of using the supplied SS sheet metal screws, I will use bolts and elastic stop nuts. I thought it would also be good to laser cut some 12 ga SS plates that will sit on top of the plastic flange to help distribute the load from the bolts. That should reduce the chance of the plastic cracking. I will document the installation. First I need to complete the 1 1/2" thick insulated composite floor.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Another benefit of the MaxxAir. I have a USB Network device that normally plugs into the USB port of your PC or Mac. I put a 10 foot USB cable extension that runs up into the dome of the MaxxAir, held on with a dab of Silicon glue - the Network data rate/connection is much faster (the Sprinter is a big metal rf isolation box). I don't need to worry about it getting wet up there. The USB cable comes out where we need it.

We use Sprint for our Cell Phones and wireless network access. Any other network provider with similar hardware would work as well.

nebep

We have two Maxxair's on our 04 LWB conversion...

They've been there for two big trips now and I wouldn't have any other.

We get creative regularly, especially this summer with multiple nights in Utah with no "house A/C" - We open the back fan over the bed and have the front fan set to exhaust at lowest speed.

this typically draws in a nice flow of air falling on us while we sleep - next thing is to get a mister of some sort running...This would help dramatically!!

VERY pleased with our Maxxairs - one is remote the other is manual....We have the remote one in the back and the manual one up front near the slider - I think we're gonna switch 'em...We have had nights where we've chilled a little with the front fan on and need to turn it off....So, somebody has to get up to turn off the front one....Not a big deal, but, the remote one being up front would be helpful..

did I mention I like our Maxxairs?? :D

(Watching Colorado Al's super Maxxair A/C upgrade!!)

daxxten

Been :popcorn: :drool: & :thinking: for some time now but my new Sprinter's going to be here soon :thumbup: & I've gotta get my act together!
While pricing Maxxfans I came across Model 00-070000 at http://www.adventurerv.net for $199. Has anyone done business with these folks?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Bought mine from americanrvcompany.com Model 00-06200K for $239.95. See (orton DIY-maxxair install) for installation description. What I have found out in our mild climate, I just leave it 1/2 open all the time. Rain sun parked or driving. Do not run the fan. I also have a hole in the floor so I get natural air flow from under the van and out the maxxair. I think the hole description is in (orton DIY - air vent) post.

daxxten

Thanks Dave,
Ya, I'm sure the natural draft from the hole in the floor makes a HUGE difference. :bow: I like the idea a lot but I'm gonna need to let it percolate for a while.
Holes for 2 fans and an Espar D2 was an easy decision. (not sure exactly where the D2 will be yet tho).
Lots of decisions

Top Bottom