Odd RVs in Alaska

Joes05VC

'05 Vista Cruiser fun trk
My trip to Alaska is winding down and I will be leaving Fairbanks, AK and heading back to HOT So. Calif. in a few more days. I would like to add to the pictures some I thought were interesting and could relate to our Spriter RVs.

This is my 2005 Vista Cruiser (2004 2500 SHC).

I saw this one in the RV park in Dawson City, YT and a few weeks later we were parked side by side at the Ship Creek RV park in Anchorage, AK. It is a Carthago on a T1N van, made in Germany, and brought to N.A. for touring by the Swiss owners. It looked much more practical than the Winnebago View type of conversions we see being made in the US. It would be nice if we had more choices like the Europeans do with RVs based on Sprinters, or Fiats.

This Hymer is German made on a Fiat chassis and was parked near me in the River's Edge RV park in Fairbanks, AK. It looked smaller than the Class A's we see made in the US but very comfortable and fuel efficient. It is interesting to see that a German RV builder would use an Italian vehicle. I doubt that the new Chrysler Fiat partnership would bring such smart Fiat vehicles to the US consumers.

This one was in Anchorage, AK and was getting a lot of attention by the Fred Meyer's customers and head twists by vehicles passing by on the street. The Swiss owners brought it to the N.A. for touring Canada and the US. If only the Sprinters we can buy had such go anywhere potential. I guess I have to post the final picture as a reply to this message. And, I cannot figure out how to park the picture just below the text I supply to describe it.

Fairbanks is having a heat wave with temps. above 70F and clear sunny skys.

Attachments

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Awesome pics Joe

The Hymer can be had on a Sprinter chassis as well but there's about a 10,000 Euro difference between the Benz and the Fiat...

Cheers
George

windsprinter

Whats the blue truck? I came within a whisker of buying a 1942 Powerwagon with 18,000 on the clock, original tires, in Watson Lake YT - it had come up with the US Army building the Alaska Hwy and stayed as an airport maintenance vehicle. I sure regret missing buying it by an hour or two.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
The Blue truck looks like a Saurer 2DM

Pretty similar setup to the many Unimog conversions

Saurer was a Swiss Truck manufacturer that ceased operation in the Eighties, I think it was part owned by MB...

Cheers
George

Top Bottom