View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
bobthebuilder

Default Re: changing transmission fluid and filter on 2008 3500 nc3v

I just finished my 60 K transmission service. I had read several posts before starting.
1. I removed the 4 bolts on the rear crossmember. I replaced them with 4 X M8 1.25 pitch 90 mm bolts. Placed a 4X4 block under the bolt heads and jacked up the tail shaft about 1.5 inches.
2. Drained, removed and cleaned the pan. Replaced the filter and gasket and reinstalled the pan.
3. lowered the tail shaft and reinstalled the original 4 bolts.
4. I removed the transmission cooler return line fitting with a 19 mm end wrench and removed the cooler line clamp with an 8 mm socket. These are on the right (passenger side) of the transmission. Ahead and above where the filler tube enters the transmission. The clamp holds both cooler lines in place.
5. I clamped a 3 foot piece of 9/16' I.D. tubing onto the threads of the cooler return line with a hose clamp. (1/2" might have fit also). I placed the other end of the tubing into a 5 qt oil jug, the kind that has a clear stripe on the side marker in liters and quarts.
6. Following a MB Youtube, I had only drained 4 quarts of fluid from the pan, I poured in (very slowly) 5 quarts of new fluid.
7. I had a helper start and stop the engine as 3 quarts pumped into the oil jug. I added 3 quarts and repeated twice. The final time I pumped out 3 quarts and added 2 quarts.
In total, I took out 4,3,3,and 3 for a total of 13 quarts. I put in 5,3,3 and 2. I started with 14 quarts of new fluid and ended up topping it up 1/2 quart when it was driven and warmed up. I may not have removed all of the system fluid but I know it is real close as the color now the same as fresh fluid. NOTICE: I DID NOT drain the torque converter.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobthebuilder For This Useful Post:
chrispsprint (10-19-2016), happakidd (10-20-2017), hightechcoonass (03-20-2017)