Rear backup camera with Sensors.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I knew eventually I will have to install a backup camera of some sort, especially driving a large van like the Sprinter.

One member on the Yahoo list, who was in Korea at the time, mentioned a rear camera system that was well known and recommended by users in that area. The product was the PES382 by a company called Phoinix.

Their local distributor in the U.S. is West Coast Radios, however they could only sell me the fixed camera shown at their website. I wanted the camera that can swivel.

I emailed Phoinix about purchasing directly because I wanted the swivelling camera. My emails went unanswered probably because my English text was not converted correctly to Korean. They probably saw gibberish.

I didn't want to spend over $400 if I didn't get the camera I wanted, so I went searching. I somehow found my way to the PLPSMR9 by Pyle Audio. I didn't know Pyle made rear backup systems and it's been years since I played with their speakers. It looked very similar to systems I found on Ebay, but it had both the camera and the backup sensors like the PES382. The price was not bad either. I didn't want the camera that came with the system, but at least it didn't cost over $400. I could use the spare change to buy a different camera.

I went shopping on Ebay and the web and found the best price at Limited Goods. My total came out to be $245.13 new.

PLPSMR9.jpg

One thing I like about the mirror is that it looked plain and oem. It's not as fancy looking or as feature rich as the Phoinix branded one, but I do like the oem look. The kit also comes with a couple a hole saws; one for the included camera and the other for the sensors.

Seek

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Since I paid almost half of what the Phoinix system cost ($425+), I decided to find a camera better suited to what I wanted. The one I really liked was the Kenwood CCD-900. I paid $147.55 new off Ebay.

h113CCD900-f_.jpg
The miniature aluminum enclosed camera has a 120 degree viewing angle and is able to swivel downward.

IMG_0623.JPG
The camera is bolted to the plastic lens and the wire goes in between the lens and housing.

Brake light does not wash out video and camera does not obstruct brake light from afar. I decided that I wanted to mount it up high. This way I had a better perspective over how much room I had left to the edge of the step bumper.

IMG_0622.JPG
4 sensors mounted on the step bumper. You have a choice of mounting 2 or 4 sensors.

One of the biggest pain in the !@# was installing the 4 sensors on the rear step bumper. Since the gray plastic didn't actually sit flush with the actual metal step, it was a pain to adjust and have the sensors sit straight and flush. I eventually adjusted the sensors with a level and epoxied the sensors to the inside of the metal step. I used some polyurethane caulking to cover up the gaps between the gray plastic and sensor surrounds. Sometimes I wish I opted for the factory rear sensors so I didn't have to deal with this pain. Did I mention it was a pain?

I don't have a picture of it, but I installed both brains (camera and rear sensor) in the back near the rightside rear tail light behind the interior panels. The system is activated when the rear lights come on (transmission shifted to reverse). The bumper sensor wires were short, so I had no choice but to the mount it near the rear.

In conclusion:

Negatives:
- Pain in the !@# to install and adjust bumper sensors.
- No volume control for sensor beep.
- Can't really see the rear camera screen during bright sunlight. Either the camera washes out or the LCD screen is not bright enough to see during the day time.

Positives:
- Very good night vision capability.
- Very wide angle (120 degrees) view.
- Sensors tell me the distance in meters to the obstacle and from what direction.
- Kit comes with everything to install the system, including the hole saws.

One caveat is that this system CANNOT be use solely for backing up. I still have to use the mirrors to navigate rearward. I only focus on the little screen to make sure I'm not going to backup into an obstacle. It works best at night, but I'm still rather happy with it.

Seek

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I think the best way to see how it works is to watch a video. As you look at the mirror, you will eventually see a distant gauge in the screen. It'll start beeping at 1.5 meters and increase in repetition as the numbers/distance decreases.

View attachment backupcam.wmv

SimChief

Well I am the guy in Korea that bought a PES-382 here in Seoul directly from Phoinix and installed it in my California based 2004 140 low-roof passenger van. System works great: however I found the Mercedes rearview mount will not support the additional weight of the Phoinix rearview mirror with its display (there is no friction adjustment screw), I currently use rubber bands to help support the display. I am buying the 7" monitor from Phoinix and will install it on the dash when I next get back to California. I work with someone who is driving a Ford 350 extended cab with a PES-382 and 7" monitor, so I know what to expect. I'll post again after installation on how it works, my system has optional rear sensors (metric display) but I really use the different tones to gage distance. Scotty

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome Scotty:

The Pyle system or whoever makes it for them (probably some Chinese company) does not mount the mirror on the stock mirror. It has its own mount that you have to glue onto the windshield. I made my own bolt on mount so that the mirror wouldn't have to rely on the windshield glue. I didn't want to be on a roadtrip with the possiblity of my mirror ungluing itself.

Right now the thing that irks me the most is the sensitivity of the sensors. If the sensors are below a certain temperature or maybe there's condensation on them, they falsely trigger the brain to beep rapidly as if I was against the wall. Once it warms up, no problem. I'm going to have redesign this because it's annoying. :thumbdown:

The other thing is that I'm slapping myself :bash: for not including a switch to disable the sensor part. I'm going to be adding a hitch hauler and no doubt I'll be hearing the sensors beep every time I'm backing up.

Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Well I am the guy in Korea that bought a PES-382 here in Seoul directly from Phoinix and installed it in my California based 2004 140 low-roof passenger van. System works great: however I found the Mercedes rearview mount will not support the additional weight of the Phoinix rearview mirror with its display (there is no friction adjustment screw), I currently use rubber bands to help support the display. I am buying the 7" monitor from Phoinix and will install it on the dash when I next get back to California. I work with someone who is driving a Ford 350 extended cab with a PES-382 and 7" monitor, so I know what to expect. I'll post again after installation on how it works, my system has optional rear sensors (metric display) but I really use the different tones to gage distance. Scotty
Hi Scotty had the same issue as you did with the mercedes rear vision mirror except I put on bluetooth mirror car kit,on it. Yes it dropped, but the rear vision parking screen monitor is directly above it so it was lowered a fraction to support the weight, easy-fix.

acvr4

I was at a Costco wholesale club and they are selling the VR3 wireless camera systems with the color monitor for under $90. I installed one in my Vehicross and was pretty impressed. I customized the camera so I could mount it in the rear door, just like factory.
I figure with the Sprinter it would be real easy. I like the ones listed above but for price you can't go wrong.

Here is a site that lists it. http://www.gadgetshack.com/wibacaw.html

Last edited:

chaozz

I was at a Costco wholesale club and they are selling the VR3 wireless camera systems with the color monitor for under $90. I installed one in my Vehicross and was pretty impressed. I customized the camera so I could mount it in the rear door, just like factory.
I figure with the Sprinter it would be real easy. I like the ones listed above but for price you can't go wrong.
got a pic of how its in the door??

i was thinking of using like a portable DVD player with video
in
then hooking up a camera to that so i could have a screen of
7 inchs

chaozz

what i plan to do is install a indash cd/dvd player that has flip out
screen most have video in then hook the camera to that..
second option
to install the Pioneer AVICN3 indash radio with NAV
and hook it to that

Therberg

I installed this system 3 years ago
The cost was a bit on the high side at the time, but since then the prices have dropped considerabily.

It started with the back-up camera and a search for a monitor and when I found this I had to have it. I ended up with a great sound system (as opposed to the Becker Sound 30) and GPS Nav system.

After having a back-up camera I would never be with out one, it makes backing up to loading docks and into parking spaces soooooo much easier and not to mention safer making sure there are no children or pets in your blind spot when in reverse.

Tim H.

Attachments

chaozz

that pioneer unit i have found with the GPS for around 1200
i think i will do a camera that will mount into the rear bumper.

with your set up you should be able to use the Aux input
and have the camera active at anytime you like
to update the Nav if you want they said the yearly fee
is $150 bucks for the new DVD
did you change your stock speakers.If so did you find ones
that you could install with out doing any mods?

this also has Sat radio built in and you can get a traffic
watch with that for 15 a month it will see traffic ahead
and give you a differant route to go.

Last edited:

Joes05VC

'05 Vista Cruiser fun trk
:cry: Car Toys in Tigard, OR replaced my stock Becker with a Pioneer AVIC N-3 and Pioneer's wide angle back up camera that shows the rear step bumper to objects near by. They also replaced the front speakers with 4" Focal speakers ($200 for a pair) that greatly improved the sound system in the front. They added an iPod connector, a Parrot 3200 to make my Motorola Razor V3 talk through the radio, a connector to monitor the Cobra CB radio, a switch for routing video over the backup camera input so I can monitor my laptop as it is recording Sprinter behavior with the ScanEase tool while I am driving, and a 12 volt AudioVox DVD player, along with a pair of 8" JBL subwoofers and a Focal 800.1 subwoofer amp. All the stuff makes great sound but the price was higher than I expected. However, their workmanship was great.

I also added a Wilson cell phone antenna and amplifier which greatly improves EVDO data speed to my laptop, which can receive HDTV from the satellite or send images to the Samsung HDTV. The Sprinter driver's seat swivels 180 degrees to my computer work station where I can entertain myself for hours when my wife wants to sleep in on a morning while camping in my '05 Vista Cruiser G-26. I can also plug a keyboard and mouse into a USB port and sit in the rear and surf the Internet with the Samsung LCD HDTV as a monitor. That is a more comfortable position for reviewing the day's pictures and movies of what we did and where we have been. A 250GB portable HD allows for easy synch. between the laptop and my home computer network.

:thinking: I expect to spend about a year learning about how all the stuff is supposed to work and mastering the technology. The setup likes power so it draws 3.2 amps when turned on while parked and has a phantom load of .1 to .2 amps. when turned off. If I am not driving for a week or more I have to go out and flip a switch to send some of the ProSine 2K's battery charging current to the starting battery to keep it up. A Xantrex Link-10 battery monitor gage in a 4 gage overhead panel helps me monitor the condition of the Odessy AGM starting battery. The other 3 gages provide Turbo Boost, EGT, and transmission temp. information.

Last but not least will be a 5.1 sound system in the rear with HDTV. I am looking for an efficient 12 volt receiver that can handle multiple 5.1 coax and optical inputs and switch HDMI, DVI, component, SVHS, and composite video sources. I have thought about using a Yamaha receiver since I already have to make 120 volt AC for the RCA satellite receiver and 23" Samsung LCD TV. However, I think the power draw from the 210AH battery bank will be less with a 12 volt receiver versus the Yamaha. Of course an alarm system with a remote pager watches over the Sprinter; and motion detectors and video camers record rearby critters. Responsible people will respond with 9mm, 357, 12 ga. or 7.63 persuasion if someone is stupid enough to molest the Sprinter. I am a great fan of having a lot of options, and being retired gives me plenty of time for play toys.

I added 7 pictures of the gage installation on the pictures part of this forum.

Last edited:

boatmangc

I just bought the V3 system from Costco this weekend for 89.95, looks simple enough to install. It is supposed to go on the liscense plate mount but you need to hook up the camera to the backup lights so I will be attaching it to the hitch.
I'll post again after I install it.
Gary C

acvr4

I installed one of those camera setups on another of my vechicals. It seems to work great a for that price you can't go wrong. I modified the camera to make it look like a factory set up :thumbup:

I'd be interested to hear about how it works on a Sprinter, since I was thinking of getting another one for it.

chaozz

verizon just came out with Rev A its faster than the evdo.
cingular has 3g which is better than both those.
just put the rev A on my new tiny laptop
it has cingular edge built in but thats just a little faster
than dial up..pretty much worthless

stp57

Wow, $89.95 for a new VR3 is a great price! I picked up one on Ebay for $75, but most were going for over $100.
I installed my camera dead center & over the rear bumper, just under the rear doors (great view & doesn't take as much of a beating as the hitch). The plastic panel pops loose with a screwdriver & you can run the wires behind that & under the kickplate (the kickplate has tabs that pop out with a screwdriver) to the tailight. I wish I had a photo, but I recently sent my camera back for replacement because of water in the lens.
Steve

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Therberg and chaozz, you have these substitutes for your radio and I'm wondering if those screens have to be up there all the time or if there is anyway for them to disappear?

Please don't watch movies while you drive.

Top Bottom