What size is your 2001-2006 North American Sprinter

What size is your Sprinter (pre-NCV3)?

• Total voters

Zach Woods

Howdy Folks -

I wonder which size (length and height and rear axle type) Sprinter is most common?

I've set up a poll to try to find out! Please let us know what you've got.

Zach

Zach Woods

Re: What size is your Sprinter

Hello All -

I listed the size of my Sprinter (when Mercedes built it, it was a 2500 - 140 - std. roof).

It doesn't look anything like a std. roof since Westfalia got their hands on it, though!

Zach

Llarry

Llamasine driver

If anybody claims to have a 158 std roof, I'd like to see the picture! :D

Kurt Weiss

Hey LLary! The poll had me post too quick and I hit for a 3500 158 high roof. I actualy have a 2500 158 Hi roof. Do I have to convert my 2500 to a 3500 or can the poll have my answer switched and save me a lot of body work?::D

Please note there is no category for a 2500 158 HiTop, so I beg forgiveness, but will only agree to bear my portion of the blame!

Oh, and I have a HiTop with Penthouse! (for the AC)!!!

Stakddek

Zach Woods

Howdy Kurt -

As I go back and re-examine the Dodge website it looks like there is no such thing as a 2500 158 std. roof. That should have been listed as a 2500 158 high roof.

Let me see what can be done to correct the poll and then we can look at the options concerning letting you get your vote right.

Zach

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Guys:

I changed the polls to reflect what Kurt and Zach had said.

Kurt, you can keep the Sprinter the way it is now. :D

Thanks,
Seek

Zach Woods

I guess this is the poll that surprises me the least.

The results appear to follow the classic bell curve with the most votes in the center and some outliers. I wonder if this will continue as we get more people visiting the poll?

Let's try to get good representation of the vehicles out there!

Zach

mountainman

Got a nice dark blue 140" SHC 2500 last week.
Thanks for the forum to post in, a bit easier to browse than Yahoo groups.
Kudos to the mods.
:D

Zach Woods

Still no 118 high roofs . . .

Anyone out there have a 118 high roof? Maybe some day this configuration will be sought after by collectors . . .

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

I think you would need to re up-date on height and length
I managed to fit our base 2005 313 CDI MWB standard roof into the vote but could not for love nor money find the 518CDI EXL Super high roof model for the 2006 model:smilewink: Oh! dang you guys have not got this one as of yet:bounce:
Me and my Mercedes Rock on the Port Arthur run

Zach Woods

Hello Altered Sprinter -

You are right. I will look into modifying this poll to communicate that it is for the earlier of the two most recent Sprinter types.

Then it will be time to add a new poll for the new Sprinter type with all of it's many varieties!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Hello Altered Sprinter -

You are right. I will look into modifying this poll to communicate that it is for the earlier of the two most recent Sprinter types.

Then it will be time to add a new poll for the new Sprinter type with all of it's many varieties!
Hi Zack
I was just haveing a little fun with you on the size's he, he:lol:
Over the week end I'll start a new section on the new Sprinters the U.S may be getting ? spec's and engines, saftey etc, there is so much it will take a Sprinter tractor trailer to import it back to the U.S

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Zach Woods said:
Still no 118 high roofs . . .

Anyone out there have a 118 high roof? Maybe some day this configuration will be sought after by collectors . . .
Ya, right;)

Originally I wanted or at least I thought I wanted the 118 SHC due to the number of times I must parallel park, I'm glad I ended up with the 140.

I have seen a couple of the shorty high tops. Ideal for the city IMHO.

Last edited:
I

iowa

How about a short and tall? A 118-inch high-top Sprinter?

I'm a "B Wannabe". No Sprinter. Yet.

But I'm wondering if a short-bed, high-top is for me?

I live in Los Angeles. I'm within a day's drive of what seems to be some wonderful desert/mountain/ocean locations. I'd love to explore them without parking and plugging in.

So, I'm thinkng mobility.

Being in Los Angeles, however, size is a conideration.

I need, for now, to park in regular curbside parking spots. I need to park in shopping center lots where most slots are sized for "compacts."

From what I read ,the Sprinter is diesel-efficient, narrow and easily parked in the urban enviornment. It appears to be nimble and easily U-turnable.

But is it costly to maintain? Are oil changes outta sight? (I read somewhere that oil changes cost hundreds of dollars).

Are there problems with Sprinter's 2007-model availabillity that will block me from buying one?

If I bought a 2007 Sprinter, short-bed, high ceiling, could I cook in it with a Coleman camper stove in a pinch? Would a porti-potti stowed under the bed/bunk handle, er, things? No shower or big-time water storage would probably be necessary.

Should I just buy a cheaper Econoline, etc. and install a fiberglass high-top?

If I do, should it be a diesel?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
iowa
short and tall is the Go but I think the model has been deleted in the U.S for this model 2007! Maybe wrong on it though?
Mid-year release May 2007 Diesel will be available fully compliant with particulate filter and a special catalytic converter for LA
Miles per gallon expect 26 no less, auto has been replaced with a new version same MPG as with the manual version Go for the V6 if it's to be offered in LA as this engine is dynamite, the baby rocks:rad:
If you have the ultimate patience, wait for the 2008 model it will be Blutec and therefore ultra efficient in the long term performance of the vehicle.
Oil changes are now between 12 thousand and sixteen thousand miles using Mobil Delvac MX Extra raising the bar on performance further.

this oil is specifically designed for the new particulate filter system of Mercedes Benz meets all API CI-4/CH-4/CF-4/CF/SL/SJ and ACEA...
E5/E3/B4/B3/A2. emission standards for July 2006 US all 50 state compliance ratings for Euro 4 and Euro 5 .
This oil was fully imported from Mobil Germany, prior to it's official release. for the specific purpose of testing the longevity for suspension of contaminated particles within the engine oil system on the old 2005 model thirty two thousand kilometers and the lubricity is still holding (no oil changes since 500 miles), this is why Mercedes now offer the latter oil changes.
The cost for 15 micron oil filters special order as Mercedes still use an old twenty year old oil filter of 30 microns, fuel filter change over, and cabin filter plus oil change, and major service costs U.S $450.00 if done via MB service out lets, if out-sourced to a specialized qualified Diesel mechanic the cost is two hundred and twenty dollars all up, half the price as to what the dealerships charge and it is still covered by warranty this applies in Australia as it is illegal for a dealership to hold a monopoly on a franchise as to collusion to collude to fix pricing.
Two hundred and twenty bucks, under US $200 is a cheap as chips when your talking up to twenty to thirty thousand K's between oil changes. which equates to about 12 to 16 thousand miles :clapping: or 500 hundred hours of operation.

Buy a Sprinter nay color but white:rant: and you will save a fortune on fuel in the long term as they have a low end torque with high pulling power up to 30 to 35 % more fuel efficient v gas model and have the capability if maintained to do 600 h
Hundred Thousand miles prior to a engine overhaul The trick is to find a diesel mechanic who you can trust to keep your Sprinter in tip top shape

PS: if you wait for the mid year 2007 Diesel expect to pay up to eight percent more than the current RRP. as to all the extra safety features built into the Mercedes- Benz or Dodge /Freightliner Sprinter's

PSS: Fuel avoid BP for LA, as it is still running on Government exemption's at over 22PPm............................................................................
not the required 15PPm! Chevron Exon has the same issues along with Texaco etc, Shell is being piped in via Canada Alberto, it's fully compliant for 15ppm
and is rated between 300 not exceeding 500 ppm for Co emissions
Shell has brand new refineries which are already geared up for 2008 in LA for 10 ppm ratings from 2008
Richard

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
How about a short and tall?

Should I just buy a cheaper Econoline, etc. and install a fiberglass high-top?

If I do, should it be a diesel?
By the time you do that(w/a Diesel) you've spent the same (perhaps even more) money and have a lesser van!

Zach Woods

short and tall is the Go but I think the model has been deleted in the U.S for this model 2007! Maybe wrong on it though?
My understanding is that the US will receive the shortest wheelbase model for the 2007 and up vans but that the shortest 2007 and up model in all markets is now a bit longer than 118".

Also, my 140 parks nicely in both parallel and head-in (parking lot) situations. A 140 is roughly equivalent in length to a full-size American pickup (18.5'). 118 is likely even easier to park but the 140 is easy also.

Zach

Last edited:

Top Bottom