New Sprinter-Wiki

sikwan

06 Tin Can
All:

It was suggested by Zach Woods, and another registered user that we set up a wiki-like FAQ where Sprinter Enthusiast can add and edit information on Sprinters. We will call this the Sprinter-Wiki. Very similar to Wikipedia.com, except that it is an encyclopedia specifically for Sprinters.

I think both the Wiki and the Forum formats will complement each other. Both are dependant on user input, where one is used for reference and the other is used for discussion. I think both will be beneficial for Sprinter users.

Right now, this is what we have...

http://sprinter-forum.com/wiki
http://sprinter-forum.com/forum

The Sprinter-Wiki has no content. That will soon change in time. Right now I'm trying to consolidate the two into one domainname. We will likely be adding the sprinter-wiki.com into the mix to avoid confusion. The forum should continue to work and not be affected. I can't guarantee that there will not be any problems, however, the change will occur near midnight PST.

Hopefully, it will be a smooth transition. Comments always welcome.

Thanks,
Seek

Zach Woods

Hey Seek -

That was fast work on setting up the Sprinter-Wiki!

Let us know when you would like us to start creating / editing entries in the Sprinter-Wiki.

Also, maybe this would be a good location to discuss what a Wiki is and how it works?

Zach

P.S. My thoughts are that you stick with Sprinter-Forum.com as the main url. The word is already out there (witness how fast membership has been growing) and it would be good to keep the momentum moving forward. Also, either a Sprinter-Wiki.com url or just Sprinter-Forum.com/Wiki would work well, I think. Both the forum and the wiki can complement and reference each other, as you suggested.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hi Zach:

Let us know when you would like us to start creating / editing entries in the Sprinter-Wiki.
We can essentially start now. Anyone at any time can add information specific to the Sprinter.

The caveat is if you write something, expect others to correct or change what you have written. Please DO NOT copy other people's work. If you do, at least refer to the original author, or at best, ask if it's okay first.

Also, maybe this would be a good location to discuss what a Wiki is and how it works?
I think the best way to learn what a wiki is is to read the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

P.S. My thoughts are that you stick with Sprinter-Forum.com as the main url. The word is already out there (witness how fast membership has been growing) and it would be good to keep the momentum moving forward. Also, either a Sprinter-Wiki.com url or just Sprinter-Forum.com/Wiki would work well, I think. Both the forum and the wiki can complement and reference each other, as you suggested.
It'll be transparent. Currently when you type sprinter-forum.com, the browser brings you to a home page where you click on a Forum link. Anyone that types in sprinter-wiki.com or sprinter-forum.com will take them to a home page where there will be links to the Forum or the Wiki. Typing sprinter-wiki.com/wiki will take them directly to the wiki site and typing sprinter-forum.com/forum will take them directly to the forum site.

Sprinter-wiki.com/forum will take them to the forum and sprinter-forum.com/wiki will take them to the wiki site. Have I confused anyone yet? :D

Anyways, everything should be transparent and both will be linked to each other.

Thanks,
Seek

sikwan

06 Tin Can
All:

Sorry for the mess up today. What I thought would take 24hrs to propagate, it only took a few, so I woke up this morning and couldn't access Sprinter-Forum.com.

I'm done with the administrative stuff, unless we have a major crash.

Thanks,
Seek

ps. You're right Zach. Don't mess with a good thing.

Top Bottom