keyless entry and slide?

BESLC

Hi Cheryl,

I am sorry to hear you had already placed your order. I held off ordering because I knew there was an issue on the door as soon as they released the U.S.order codes.

I would think under the circumstances you could cancel your order until the door issue is resolved. The other problem is if you are looking at the swivel seat option (aftermarket) for transfer, it is my understanding that the seat swivel for the 07 is not yet available.

One other thing that has yet to be resolved is the hand control issue, the 07 has a tilt telescoping steering wheel. The conversion companies I have spoken to have a concern on this issue until they see the sprinter and can make sure the controls can be installed.

I get the feeling that with DC on the auction block there is not much customer service happening, most are wondering if they will still have jobs and who they will be working for.

One last option would be for you to contact Sportsmobile, they insist they can do the door, but they farm it out to another company, who has yet to see an 07. Every time I have spoken with them I get a little different answer, but maybe they can help. And I am not sure they would do a conversion on a van they didn't sell, since that is part of their profit, selling the van.

I will continue to pursue the door issue until it is either avaialble from DC or there is a reliable aftermarket kit. I know the high end upfitters most likely will havea power door operator..when who knows.

I appreciate all of you who have jumped in on this issue. Hopefully something will come of this, especially for Cheryl who has an immediate need.

Good luck Cheryl, I will keep you posted as I obtain info..I am not giving up on a Sprinter.

Bill

Last edited:

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
i'm very touched by everyone's support ~ thank you.

i'll try to answer all questions/points raised:

Disability/Mobility:

i can transfer from my powerchair to the driver's seat. as long as i can work the levers to move the seat into a comfortable driving position, i should be ok without any driving modifications [hand-controls and/or pedal extenders]. the only accessibility equipment that i plan to add is a wheelchair lift in the sliding doorway. however, because of limited upper extremity strength, i need an electric sliding door.

2007 Sprinter

as we talked with our dodge sales rep, he indicated that keyless entry is standard. in addition to keyless entry, my new 2007 sprinter was ordered with power windows, locks and mirrors.

Support from Disability Groups

at risk of sounding negative, i don't think any organization will take this on as an issue because they usually look for large issues affecting a broader base of people. it's hard enough getting the u.s. government to support disability needs let alone private corporations.

Support from Government Officials

dc is not being un-accomodating to people with disabilities. dc is not denying access to products/services to people with disabilities. daimler-chrysler is making a business decision that affects all consumers. as for looking into the issue, they too usually look for large issues affecting a broader base of people.

My Dodge Dealer

because we would like to have a 2007 sprinter, i told our dealer that i'd look for a solution. after the easter holiday, i'll break the bad news and ask for a refund of my deposit. i hope they'll have no problem issuing a check. if my request is denied, i'll contact my brother-in-law who is the state assistant attorney general...good to have friends in high places (lol...but i wish i knew one of dr. z's friends!)

Third-Party Sources

i talked to sportsmobile and they said they don't offer the electric sliding door in their conversions. when i indicated i use a powerchair, they immediately referred me to a mobility upfitter. at this time, i know the major u.s. mobility equipment manufacturers [braun and ricoh] don't offer any solutions for the 2007 sprinter and these are the folks who supply equipment to the mobility upfitters. neither manufacturer is investing into r&d for the sprinter. plus why re-invent the wheel if dc may eventually release the electric sliding door as an option? creative controls inc. [michigan] has done a lot of the own engineering/upfitting for sprinters but i've read mixed reviews.

again, this lass [never been called that before...lol] thanks each of you for your input and support.

with kind regards,

cheryl

Last edited:

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
I have further checked into ordering a Sprinter and having it shipped from europe or doing a european delivery then shipped, becuase it is considered a commercial vehicle, I am told it is not possible.I was told this my the european delievery people from MB.
Bill
it can be imported under certain circumstances
hi bill and richard and everyone,

is the commercial designation for both the cargo and passenger sprinters?

richard, under what circumstances can it be imported?

do you think because the vehicle is for medical purposes that an exception could be considered?

if we know anyone who resides in europe or who's in the military, could they ship it to the u.s.?

thanks for the input!

cheryl

Last edited:

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
What about bringing in abc or cbs into this through your state rep. or something like that? You know DCX can use all the press on this, it might open some doors and help make this thing happen.
just a thought.
Bill
hi bill,

so dcx would welcome the press? it might help their cause? hmmmm...
would you please tell me specifically how this could benefit dcx?

thanks!

cheryl

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
Note Arne did say to me there was problem with the electronic door opener due to the weight of the door, and a fix has been made for the upgraded Sprinters for Spring, so you may still be able to get it yet,
this would be wonderful...
time will tell...

thanks richard [and arne]!

cheryl

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
cheryl,
i am not a lawyer(just a registered pharmacist),

but it seems to me if you ordered a sprinter van with certain options
then were told they were not available afterword, it seems to me that
you should not have to take delivery and get your deposit back.

i know you had your heart set on the sprinter but that seems a better option
than having a van you can't use.

i suggest you consult an attorney

gerry
hi gerry,

pharmacists are some of my favorite people!

yes, we fell in love with the sprinter last august. we envisioned using it for day-to-day driving and as a low-cost way to take long trips.

in our kitchen, we have a brand-new portable camping stove, portable table, portable ice maker to go along with our existing cots and porta-pot. we joined the "self build motor caravan club" at http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/ and i've got the interior of the sprinter all laid-out on grid paper for long-term, gradual 'home improvements.'

i'm optimistic that our full deposit will be refunded. then we'll have to decide whether to wait for the sprinter electric sliding door option/kit [and stay at home] or immediately order an accessible non-sprinter full-size van [and forego long trips]. wish i had a crystal ball...lol

thanks gerry for your support.

cheryl

Last edited:

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
Cheryl,

Fo your info, there is a power door kit available from Braun, this will work on the 2006 and earlier. There are still 2006's available in both passenger and cargo versions if you are interested. I gave serious thought to buying a 2006 due the hassel I have had finding power doors until I saw the 2007 yesterday. It is much improved in every aspect and would be worth the wait if the door issue can be resolved. I guess I am going to have to keep bugging Dodge Corporate and DC Corporate until they get it that there is a need and a market for the power door and other options on the U.S.A. Sprinter. There are over 25 options you can get in Europe you can't get here..makes no sense what so ever.

Maybe I can order a dream Sprinter with power doors and 4x4 on a 2008..will keep hoping! At this point the wait on an 2008 is only about 7 to 8 months away.

Good luch with your quest.

Bill

hi bill,

i was just reviewing past posts. we considered an older year sprinter but with my small stature, the tilt wheel in the 2007 will make driving much easier and more comfortable.

yes, 4x4 is my dream too and so is the extended length but you can't have both...lol! lol...true, what's another 7-8 months of waiting and hoping?

good luck to you too!

cheryl

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
on friday, i did a search on yahoo for email addresses containing: @daimlerchrysler.com

counting on the "6 degrees of kevin bacon" concept, i collected over 20 email addresses [located in u.s., germany, south africa and in various departments, e.g. corporate, human resources, marketing, engineering, community service, employee health, etc.] and sent out my "dear dr. dieter" letter. BUT it was like 4am after an anxious night and i didn't take the time to review/proofread my letter. i later realized that i had mistakenly edited out the zetsche instead of the dieter....ugh! plus i was impolite by not composing a little note to the email recipients asking them to please pass my letter along to dr. z. :eek: :cry: ...two very rude, stupid and probably costly oversights. i guess i can always follow-up with a polished email but i'll first see if the un-polished one meets the objective.

after the holiday, i'll let you know if this yielded any results. fingers-crossed still...

cheryl

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon
The trivia game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is based on a variation of the concept of the "small world phenomenon" and states that any actor can be linked, through their film roles to Kevin Bacon. Its name is a pun on the stage play Six Degrees of Separation.

http://smallworld.columbia.edu/

Try to connect any film actor in history to Kevin Bacon as quickly as possible and in as few links as possible:
http://oracleofbacon.org/

Last edited:

BESLC

Hi Cheryl,

Sounds like you and I have contacted every dealer and upfitter out there, regarding the power door. What is so frustrating ..is this option exists from the factory, as you well know. I guess Sprtsmobile realized the 07 is very different and spoke too soon Sportsmobile farms out the wheelchair upfits then does the modification to the Sprinter after that is done, such as camper or motorhome comversions.

I am sure getting a refund should not be a problem, especially given the circumstances. In all likely hood the vehicle is not even in production yet, so puyllling the order should be very doable.

I agree with you fully, that this is not an issue that a congressman, news or disability organization should handle. I feel our best course of action is having others let Dodge and DC know that there is a market for the Sprinter with the power door and other omitted options, After all, sales is the only thing they care about. I have run into fleet buyers and spoken to several dealers, all of which have complained about the omissions on the Spinter. The voice of the buyer is somehting they will listen too.

At this point I am putting my hopes on an 08 or a mid year model that will offer the omitted options. I too thought about considering the 06 ,until I saw an 07 side by side and had the chance to compare. There is a big difference between the 07 and 06, all postive improvements from my point of view . As for the 4x4, I have been told by Sportsmobile and several others that a 4x4 or an all wheel drive Sprinter is headed tot he U.S market....but we also heard there was a power door that would be available on the U.S model ...LOL.

Lastly on a european order, I only know what MB told me in speaking with their overseas delivery program people. If you find away to get one ordered and shipped please let me know.

Take care Cheryl, and good luck..I will keep you posted if I hear anything.

Bill

BESLC

Cheryl.

Why don't you post the email addresses you have, perhaps an email blitz to DC might make them take note. I am sure the more they hear the more they will listen.

Bill

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
Cheryl.

Why don't you post the email addresses you have, perhaps an email blitz to DC might make them take note. I am sure the more they hear the more they will listen.

Bill
hi bill,

thanks for your post...misery loves company...lol

if i don't get any response from my blitz, i'll post the email addresses. maybe we can reach dr. z by passing on the addresses to people we know who are interested in the option. i think dc is missing out on a niche market!

cheryl

BESLC

Cheryl,

There is no question that Sprinter is missing a "BIG" opprtnity to control the wheelchair market nitche for a much needed full sized van. Ford has changed the 2007 E-350 platform, as such a full floor drop is no longer an option. You can not do a conversion on an full sized GM product for similar reasons. That is unless you opt for a raised roof on either the Ford or GMC. You can no longer install a power transfer seat in an 07 Ford because of electronics,same problem on a GM. The Uplander..well so much for that idea, not even a consideration. As you know, mini vans work for a small market and have their own issues, as such those issues don't make them the best choice for a majority of users. So basically the full sized van conversion options are very very limited. Dodge and DC could capture this market if they opened their eyes.

Reality is the number of disabled people increases every year, however the options for vehicles decreases every year. The Japanese are in development of vans that target this market, the question is when do we see them here? If they see the market, where are the U.S manufactures? I am afraid, lagging well behind as usual.

Lets hope that someone sees the need and jumps in, Sprinter could ..so HELLO DC are you listening????? You have the product DC ,and the options, so make them available.

So much for my rant... I know you get it Cheryl!

Bill

Last edited:

BESLC

Hi Cheryl,

I hope you were able to cancel your order since the power side door issue doesn't seem to have an answer at this time.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything new..take care.

Bill

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
You got a Bite:clapping:
And just to let you guys in the know I'm asking specialized coach Body builders in the US as too how, to get around the problem:thinking:
Richard
Don't give up
Never say never ever.
SprinterAccessible.jpg

JCSCHELL

2021 144 High Roof 4x4
my "dear dr. dieter" letter went from the vp of pr located at headquarters in germany to the u.s. commercial sales manager in michigan.

the option will be available in 2008. we will cancel our 2007 order and wait. the dealership will refund our deposit in full.

whew...what a huge relief!

thanks everyone for riding this one out with me! here's to 2008!

cheryl

sikwan

06 Tin Can
my "dear dr. dieter" letter went from the vp of pr located at headquarters in germany to the u.s. commercial sales manager in michigan.

the option will be available in 2008. we will cancel our 2007 order and wait. the dealership will refund our deposit in full.

whew...what a huge relief!

thanks everyone for riding this one out with me! here's to 2008!
That's awesome Cheryl! :clapping:

Always best to avoid the noise and go straight to the people who make decisions. :thumbup:

Seek

BESLC

Way to go Cheryl! That is great news on both fronts, the door will be available on the 2008 and you will get your deposit back.

By chance any info on when the 2008 will be introduced and when the order codes might be available?

I too will be pounding on the order desk the moment a 2008 with power door can be ordered.

Keep in touch!

Bill

Top Bottom