Odd Starting Problem

stroud_omnibus

Every now and again my 413 doesn't start the moment the key is turned but takes a couple of seconds before the starter kicks in. Last week it didn't start at all, but I could hear the relay clicking under the seat. After several attempt it did start. I have replaced the relay today and initially all was well but both symptoms have returned.

Any ideas?

Alan

stroud_omnibus

Not as yet. It's in for a safety inspection next week, so whilst it's up in the air I shall ask them to take a look. It just seems strange that there is nothing from the starter when the problem occurs, only the relay clicking over repeatedly.

Alan

Until you narrow things down the list can be long. Can you hear the starter spin, but not engage? If that's happening it could be the Bendix or starter gear engagement mechanism. As Sikwan said, check all starter connections for corrosion/looseness. They are generally subject to outdoor conditions.

Here's a relatively easy thing to try (except that yours is still intermittent): Starter motor brushes can wear or stick. Bendix engagement mechanisms can hang up. Block the wheels. Position yourself safely under the vehicle on the starter side. While someone tries to start the engine tap on the starter with a small hammer. If the starter doesn't engage until it is tapped, it could be the brushes/Bendix. Until you look around a bit any further suggestions are premature. Hope this does some good. AP

stroud_omnibus

Hi Aqua, there's nothing at all from the starter. It's like trying to start the thing with the battery disconnected! Then all of a sudden....vrooom! Other times just the clicking of the relay for a bit then a start, sometimes nothing. Swith off....try again....it might show one or the other of the symptoms or just fire into life instantly. :idunno:

Alan

Hi Alan, that sounds pretty much identical to the problem i have.
Its been an intermittent problem, going on for 2 years or so now, only happening once every few months, so very intermittent.

Same symptoms as you, relay clicking under the seat. Only my problem took a dozen or so turns to get it started to begin with, it gradually got worse. I could be sitting there for 30mins trying to start it.
Initially thought it to be a glow plug related problem. See my post a few threads down, maybe on page 2.

Anyway, taken it to mechanics. And just while i was writing this, i got a call from him. And apparently, he said its the IGNITION.

SO, may be worth looking into that. Ill post back on here as soon as i know what kind of igniton exactly it was.
Hope you get it sorted anyway
Mark

stroud_omnibus

Hi Mark. He could mean the ignition barrel. ie: where you put the key. That went through my mind too, but for the relay to click must mean that some form of connection is being made when the key is turned. I must have started the bus up six times yesterday without any problems at all! I may take a look at the connections on the ignition just to see if there is anything obvious.

Let us know what your guy has to say too.

Alan

P.S: Checked all connections and seemed fine, unless there is a problem with the barrel. Started up twice without any problem.

Last edited:

Top Bottom