Holy $$$$$brake Job $$$$$$

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
So, with the few ice storms a couple of weeks ago, I did NOT get to do my rear brakes before my state inspection this week. Last July, I replaced my front pads/rotors with dealer supplied parts- $140.44 for everything, not bad.

The dealer called while inspecting the truck. It needed new rear pads/rotors, which I knew going in, but they wanted $400 for parts and labor! When I asked the price for parts, the service writer said $320, and was unable to explain why the rear parts were so much more. I was figuring $250-$300 for parts and labor, but $400 seems a bit steep. Does this sound right??

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
not for single rear brakes but I think there is a big dif with dual wheels
Sound too much I'd try for another quote, and are they worn out, those dealers try and replace at the half way mark of wear Grrrr'
Richard

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
Single wheel, and they weren't just worn...they were wasted! There is no doubt that they needed to be replaced, I just wasn't expecting $320 for pads/rotors before installation.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
how many miles did you have up on the Sprinter, Hell I might have to take a mortgage out, when mine become due for replacement.
Richard

sikwan

06 Tin Can
When I asked the price for parts, the service writer said $320, and was unable to explain why the rear parts were so much more.
It may have to do with replacing the parking drum brake pads in the rear too, not that it needs replacing but it makes sense to include them altogether.

Those rear combo disc/drum are suppose to be a pain. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain when it comes time for me to do it. I probably won't replace the shoes, but inspect them. Our Sprinter is the only vehicle in our household that has rear disc brakes.

Seek

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
Lesson learned....do the brakes myself and save $200, and they won't squeel every time I use them either.

Wileycoyote

Ive done my own brakes a couple times on my 05 the rear ones cost 3 times the front ones just because they have a clip that goes inside the piston on the caliper. If my calipers took the types that didnt require the clip the cost would have been 77.00 as opposed to 177.00 I just bought new pads for the rear from a parts store and buying Raebestos pads instead of Mercedes rear pads went from 177.00 to 80.00 for the jobber parts.... DONT buy from your dealership without shopping around.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Ive done my own brakes a couple times on my 05 the rear ones cost 3 times the front ones just because they have a clip that goes inside the piston on the caliper. If my calipers took the types that didnt require the clip the cost would have been 77.00 as opposed to 177.00
I'm guessing that this clip wears out or is it reusable? Why the extra $100 for just a clip? :thinking:

Wileycoyote

the clip is built onto the pad right onto the back and goes inside the piston I guess it eliminates any movement of the pad. Now Sprinter vans brakepads are even easier to change than Ford E/F-series brakes. Only hard part is taking off the clip that attaches to the caliper and the housing but you only need a screwdriver to pry it off and to get it back on. Now that weird pricing was only at the Dodge dealer. I bought them from a local parts store just last week and no difference in price between the ones without the clip and the one with the clip. Its even a better deal with the Raebestos ones as they came with replacement sensors which cost an additional 12.00 each through Dodge.

Top Bottom