07 squeaky noise when idling after cold start

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Gotta love clean video!!!

I have heard the noise too but only on really cold mornings (-20 C) which you see what, every day shane?

I figured it was one of the belt tensioners or idler pulleys squealing a wee bit. Maybe the grease they get packed with at the (bearing) factory is not quite thin enough to handle the cold and high belt loads at start up? I did the water on the belt trick to make sure it wasn't either of the belts. It seems to come from the one on the drivers side.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I don't have a video/recording device but mine mostly sounds the same. Yours has a higher-pitched "chink" that mine doesn't generate.

-Jon

shanemac

Thanks for feed back guys....and yes -20c days and colder is when i hear it the most warmer days i don't. It sure sounds like its from drivers front area the idler theory makes sense, in the mean time i won't be to concerned. Gotta love the sound of a sprinter diesel though:rad:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Bruce,

In your estimatation, is that something that should be lubed lest it prematurely score and fail?

-Jon

shanemac

Funny thing no noise this morning from van it was -25c with wind, next time it makes noise i will look close at idler pulley area to take a closer listen.:idunno:

Top Bottom