power window fuse problem

mmikesmith

I have just purchased a 2003 high roof lwb sprinter with 6000 miles. I am having problems with the power windows blowing fuses and cannot determine why. Has anybody else experienced this problem.
thanks
Mike

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome Mike:

Which window is it? Does the fuse blow when you press the switch or does it blow when you insert a replacement fuse? If it blows when you hit the switch, which switch is it; driver's down/up or passenger down/up?

Seek

mmikesmith

Both sides are blowing--The new fuse lasts a little while--I'm not sure whenit is blowing--but I think that it might be when I activate it-sometimes the fuse will last a few days
thanks
mike

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Welcome Mike:

Which window is it? Does the fuse blow when you press the switch or does it blow when you insert a replacement fuse? If it blows when you hit the switch, which switch is it; driver's down/up or passenger down/up?

Seek
Hi Seek...:thinking:

Is there a separate fuse for each power window function?...Our passenger-side is on the fritz...:idunno:

Lost my owners manual a while back and don't have the fuse identification map...:bow:

mendonsy

According to the '05 manual posted in the T1N database there is only one 25 amp fuse. The wiring is in section 8W-60.
There is nothing all that unusual about the wiring. My guess would be a wire that has a bad spot in the insulation, probably the cable where it enters the door.:2cents:

Last edited:

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
According to the '05 manual posted in the T1N database there is only one 25 amp fuse. The wiring is in section 8W-60.
There is nothing all that unusual about the wiring. My guess would be a wire that has a bad spot in the insulation, probably the cable where it enters the door.:2cents:
Thanks for the speedy reply mendonsy...:thumbup:

I was hoping for individual power window fuses to be the issue, I too suspected the door wiring harness, due to faulty fabrication...:hmmm:

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Driver's side: Fuse 7, 25A
Passenger side: Fuse 15, 25A

Both fuses supply (wired straight to) the driver's side master switch. The power for the passenger side switch is routed through the passenger master switch (on driver's side) first. Did you get that? :smirk: This is why when you go UP (or maybe down, I forget) on the passenger master switch, the lights (LED's) go out on the passenger side switch.

Both sides are blowing--The new fuse lasts a little while--I'm not sure whenit is blowing--but I think that it might be when I activate it-sometimes the fuse will last a few days
thanks
mike
If both sides are blowing, I'm guessing the two power wires passing through the door is chaffing on something.

Is there a separate fuse for each power window function?...Our passenger-side is on the fritz...:idunno:
When you say fritz, which one causes the fritz; passenger master switch (driver's side) or passenger side switch?

Either way you need to determine which switch is causing the problem by removing one of them from the circuit.

I would remove the passenger side switch, jumper the wires, and then play with the passenger master switch; up and down. Jumper pins 1-to-3 and 2-to-5 and test the passenger master switch.
pass_sw.JPG

To check the passenger master switch, unplug the socket, and plug it into the driver side master switch and test. All the switches are the same.

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Thanks Seek...:thumbup:

You were right about the separate fuses for each power window...:professor:
On our 2006 the fuse identification is:

#2 fuse...power window, driver's door...25A
#4 fuse...power window, front pass. door...25A

The #4 fuse...power window, front pass. door...25A was blown, a simple replacement. Contemplating the cause of fuse failure to be wiring harness related (last two photo's), I gently pulled on the wiring harness of the driver's door to release the strain, then wrapped the harness with an old sock to prevent further damage, I'll do the same for the front passenger's harness if unable to re-insert the wiring harness boot. We'll see what happens with this fuse in the near future.

FTR, the fuse identification map is on the reverse side of the drivers side seat fuse cover

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thanks for the clarification on the fuse locations. I have found many discrepancies in the service manual, but it's still good to have.

Top Bottom