Custom Windows

TimJuhl

I test drove a 170" WB sprinter cargo van (2500) yesterday and see what you all are talking about. What I'd like to know is whether anyone has had custom windows installed and if so, where you got them. I'd like to find some that have a section that can be opened with screens to keep the bugs out. I'd like to do much of the work of converting the van myself but don't see the kind of resources that were available the last time I did one in 1978 :) Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
After market Side windows that open awning style are available, but only fixed rear 'replacement' windows are.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I researched that type of window for our conversion and found 2 companies providing them;

http://www.parkin-acc.com/page44.html This link is for 'Creation' brand windows, and

http://crlaurence.com/ProductPages/showLine.asp?GroupID=16124&Path=::2085::16124 this link for CR Laurence windows like kmessinger has.

I could not find any photos of either window actually installed in a van, only photoshopped installs. My first concern was how they looked, did they look like factory windows. From what i found, the CRL windows don't fill the space like the factory ones, leaving a gap around the edges. I'm not sure about the Creation windows, no real photos available, but the company photos promise a better look.

We opted instead to add a second, rear mounted sunroof for ventilation, and will be getting the front door window, side, and rear door screen kits when they become available for the NCV3 models. The air movement is quite good with both the factory sunroof and the new additional roof open. It provides a lot more air movement than the small openings available with the retrofit windows. Insulating the headliner and sides also made a huge difference for heat gain, doesn't get nearly as hot now sitting in the full sun.

Jef

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I've spoken with the above mentioned suppliers and a few more. They are reluctant to build any 'screen' or 'opening' windows for the rear doors. The problem lies with the fact that the window is curved along 3 planes and not consistant. I'm not talking about the profile, but how the window would lay. It curves left to right, top to bottom and diagonally and not in harmony. At best, a window with short height awnings on the bottoms may show up, some time...

I'm personally not having side windows for security reasons, plus I'm EXTended, so any rear side don't fit over the bed correctly (centered). I do have 3 factory windows on the roof which as pleasantly VERY bright! I will have the rears that open at some time so on cold or rainy days I can look out whilst I meditate or get a breeze happening...

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Just a mention about rear windows on vans; I've talked with several dealers, and read in a few places that besides the fit in the Sprinters, the biggest reason not to put openings in the rear is they suck exhaust fumes in when your traveling (remember station wagons with rear windows open). Even if you promise to never leave them open when moving, it happens, and it becomes a liability issue for manufacturers.
:2cents:
Jef

boardster

I had two Atwood awning windows with screens installed last week in my '08 170" cargo 2500.
Two Fantastic roof fans as well.
The fans are a perfected product.
The Atwoods are the only game in town as far as factory look screened windows go, but are not really ready for prime time.
I'm still playing around with quieting them down.
Better then sheet metal or fixed glass, but not perfect.
You fly that taildragger in the Thumb?
Surprised I've never seen you at Sandusky, Sebewaing, or BAX.

alexhornbake

I just installed two CR Laurence windows in my van. Doing a DIY custom conversion on a 2004 3500 158"WB.

I've never installed automotive glass, and it really wasn't that hard, and looks fairly pro. It's rained, and I've sprayed it down with a hose and it doesn't leak.

http://www.hornbake.com for pictures, and notes on the install.

alex

oscarvan

I just installed two CR Laurence windows in my van. Doing a DIY custom conversion on a 2004 3500 158"WB.

I've never installed automotive glass, and it really wasn't that hard, and looks fairly pro. It's rained, and I've sprayed it down with a hose and it doesn't leak.

http://www.hornbake.com for pictures, and notes on the install.

alex
I know, old thread....but happy to find it. Contemplating conversion myself. Lots of good reading here, left a comment on your blog.....

dodger413

WOW...................

that vintage van site is OUTSTANDING!! sure brings back the memories of vanning in the 60's, 70's !!

the site is a goldmine of ideas. those were the golden days of vans !! i've never owned a car since 1970. VW vans, step vans, regular full size vans and now a sprinter.

a walk down memory lane, but also a stimulant of van modifications.

you can visit without enrolling.

Top Bottom