OM642 fan clutch removal

kilowatt

2008 170" high roof
Anyone know from hands-on experience what tool is required to hold the fan pulley while breaking the fan clutch loose? I bought the KTC A-1022H, which looks exactly like the Miller 8930, but it won't fit down into the dish of the pulley to engage the bolts and I suspect the Miller tool won't either.

alldatadiy.com calls out the 8930 tool, but they don't even show the correct engine graphic for the NCV3, so I'm regretting that subscription already...

Thanks in advance!

lindenengineering

You need a 32 mm open end wrench to engage onto the fixing nut aft of the clutch.
Then whack it to the right as you are facing the engine with a BFH.
Dennis

Kilowatt

I beat mine like it stole something from me and it didn't budge. So I fabricated a spanner style wrench with buds on the tip to hold the part the fan mounts on, otherwise I would've fought that thing forever. After doing the job the van ran way better.

lindenengineering

Well there are always going to be incidences where the nut has been over tightened or heaven forbid glued on with loctite.

Of course in the trade there usually a tool for that!
But making up a nubbed bar holder works perfectly well as does a BIG pair of channel lock pliers--From Snap On!
Cheers Dennis

kilowatt

2008 170" high roof
BFH approach did not work for me either. Decided to modify the KTC tool I bought as shown:
DSCN1456.JPG

Sawed off the business end and welded it back onto the handle with an offset that allowed it to reach into the dish of the pulley to engage the bolt heads. Worked like a charm!

Thanks to all responders.

Cheers

kilowatt

2008 170" high roof
FYI - I replaced the fan bearing assembly as part of this serpentine belt job just because it has 125k on it. Turns out they have substantially modified this assembly with a bigger shaft, bearings, and beefed up housing. Here is a shot of new vs. old from the backside.

DSCN1457.JPG

The shaft and bearing difference is obvious.

Cheers

68protour

07 D 144 high rebadged MB
Well there are always going to be incidences where the nut has been over tightened or heaven forbid glued on with loctite.

But making up a nubbed bar holder works perfectly well as does a BIG pair of channel lock pliers--From Snap On!
Cheers Dennis
To get Fan Nut broke loose I see quote "whack wrench to the RIGHT went facing vehicle" dose this mean the nut is "Reverse" thread?

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
"Then whack it to the right as you are facing the engine with a BFH."

lol-- Dennis, I hadn't heard that in YEARS! Thanks for a laugh to start my day!

(BFH, also known as a PAT…)

68protour

07 D 144 high rebadged MB

Cheers Dennis
"Big Fat Hammer" wasn't working for me so used the old trick of pointed chisel on small air hammer. Carefully put tip on the outer most edge of nut. I gave it a little air twice and off it spun.

Top Bottom