VW Multivan

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I just saw a VW Multivan leaving IKEA (Palo Alto) tonight with dealer plates. How did I know it was a Multivan? Well, I don't. :smirk: The last Eurovan that VW sold in the USA didn't have a driver's side sliding door. This one did.

I wonder if they're going to start importing them. :thinking:

Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I just saw a VW Multivan leaving IKEA (Palo Alto) tonight with dealer plates. How did I know it was a Multivan? Well, I don't. :smirk: The last Eurovan that VW sold in the USA didn't have a driver's side sliding door. This one did.

I wonder if they're going to start importing them. :thinking:

Seek
Seek are you talking about this one? the one with the same trans thats in the Sprinter of old?
If so never, never when you can have a Vito with a V6 240 hp 120 mile p/h rocket ship, six speed triponic trans with adaptive ESP, ABS.ASR BAS,EDB.LAC,RMI ROM,and EUC same as the new Sprinter and a leather gear knob thrown in to boot with optional 17'aloy spoke rims 225/55/17 and colored matching bumpers totally climatically controlled and seats seven in comfort.
Just curious
Richard
5fw.jpg

multivan3_gr.jpg

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
the T5 was never imported by VW.

For a while VW was planning on building the Microbus, but shelved that idea.
Instead the new T6 will be slightly modified and offered as the micobus stateside...

I for one think the multivan has some unique qualities due to the tracks...
Richards second picture shows my new Sprinter interior...

VW has had a fair share of poor quality, but the vehicle we know and love is hardly exemplary whn it comes to quality in fact in Germany owners are already finding rust on the new "norust" NCV3 Sprinters...

If you are easily scared don't take off your B-pillar trim or look inside the body panels at ther rear...

Cheers
George

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hey George did you get your seats out that T6? these I can get down under from the wreckers I didn't think they were wide enough for the sprinter
PS Tracks do you mean the slide tracks for the seats
Richard

Zach Woods

Howdy Seek -

The Multivan name has been available as a model / option package since some time during the Vanagon period (1980-1991) but I am assuming you are talking about one of the newer (engine in front) body styles.

Zach

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Seek are you talking about this one?
That's the one I saw, Richard. I don't think I would get one though. There's too many aspects of the Sprinter that I like already. I was just surprised to see one on the streets.

Instead the new T6 will be slightly modified and offered as the micobus stateside...
Ahhh, so they are coming. Thanks George. :thumbup:

Hey George did you get your seats out that T6?
George's install

but I am assuming you are talking about one of the newer (engine in front) body styles.
Yes, except this one has a driver's side sliding door. One of which I've never seen stateside. The only unfortunate thing is that we'll probably get the V6 and not the TDi.

Seek

Zach Woods

Yes, except this one has a driver's side sliding door. One of which I've never seen stateside. The only unfortunate thing is that we'll probably get the V6 and not the TDi.

Seek
Just as the diesel Smart will not be coming to the US - only the gasoline version.

And why aren't hybrids all based on diesel engines? Especially galling given the long history of locomotive diesel design and the ways in which a small diesel engine would be perfect for the needs of hybrid power generation . . .

Zach

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Just as the diesel Smart will not be coming to the US - only the gasoline version.

And why aren't hybrids all based on diesel engines? Especially galling given the long history of locomotive diesel design and the ways in which a small diesel engine would be perfect for the needs of hybrid power generation . . .

Zach
The answer lies with the Bush administration on that one , sort of makes a mockery of his latest speech, re alternative fuel supplies,
Just for fun check out in which countries the new Sprinters' run on Gasoline?
Diesel is the steeping stone to future fuel hybrid technology, such as synthetic Diesel many types already available, hydrogen , HP Diesel and hybrid cell electric switch over! The technology is here now today.

Cleaner fuels such as 10/p/pm for Diesel engines are already available, America imports Diesel, Australia imports Diesel in a H/D format prior to refining at the refineries for Marine grade and Automotive use.
LP H/D Gas and Diesel conversions are already in use with dead clean carbon emissions Canada has a huge supply of this natural product but uses it to convert the Shale sands into dirty oil for petroleum's use that uses five times more energy to produce than alternative or natural fuel not to mention the carbon pollution produced that adds to the carbon count in the atmosphere, with every barrel of oil, 5 barrels of water are used under pressure to produce, the oil waste water is highly acidic in content. when evaporation takes place you have acid rain and climatic changes as a result.

When was the last refinery built in the U.S.A ? 'Honest check it out' If law was passed today! for every new vehicle to run on diesel , the fuel bill alone would reduce by thirty percent within a ten year period, as the older gas fleet is removed from the roads , you would reduce emissions from vehicles by up to 50% the pressure for supply and demand for oil products would reduce,within two years. Thus a discount structure of competitive pricing would be evident at the point of sales, at the pumps.
The United states would not be reliant on imported oils, as an immediate fact in life , wars would not be a necessity in the Middle East as a consequence of threat to US economics with energy supplies.
PS the Smart is an old engine in design it would make 2007 and mid 2008 emission standard compliant.
again blutec resolves the exhaust emission standards, however there is political interference from Commercial manufactures influencing politicians with the 2008 elections, as to this alternative emission control.
Nothing is simple in life especially when Industry is the biggest corrupted corporation in the world today "Money:censored: Speaks"
Just my thoughts, Richard.

Zach Woods

Hi Richard -

Just to clarify, I am all for the efficient and ecologically sound diesel technologies. And I am "all against" the politics that have slowed their introduction if not in fact kept them out of the US market!

My friends and acquaintences would be surprised to hear me giving Bush any sort of a break but here goes:

- Bush is only the most recent US President to preside over policies that negatively impact diesel vehicles in the US (and his political party is not unique in instituting or not improving these policies . . .)

- It seems clear from the evidence that there would be an instant reduction in raw crude oil usage if we simply swapped every gasoline vehicle for a modern dino-diesel burning vehicle

- The technologies are available today to make dino-diesel burning vehicles ecologically better than gas burning vehicles

- US Oil and Automotive producers are lobbying hard to keep most or all of the above info from becoming clear to US voters

- US voters (no matter what person or political party are in office) need to communicate all of the above to their government by vote and by letter writing campaigns to thier local representatives

- US citizens that are aware of all of the above need to communicate it to their friends and others that are not aware of all of the above as this is the only way that we are aparently going to make any progress on any of this!

OK, I'm getting off of my high horse now . . .

Zach

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I tell you Richard, it seems like Australia gets all the good vehicles or at least the ones that I want. Diesel Land Cruiser pickup with the solid front axle and a bed that folds down from the sides.

I just recently received a front headlight from a Yamaha dealership in New Zealand. That part exists everywhere else except in the USA. :thumbdown: No European dealership would ship to the USA and luckily the part number is the same for Europe and New Zealand meaning it doesn't dip to one or the other side of the road.

I'm sure you Australians wished you had one of these bad boys. :smirk:

Seek

rogerbeeghly

I love my sprinter!!! But, I like the looks of the VW Crafter better. Now if DCX would allow all Dodge dealers to do warranty work I would buy anouther sprinter because it would be easier to get service done. But if VW brought over the Crafter now, I would love to get one if they have the super long extra tall.

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The inconvenient truth of the matter is Mercedes have restricted the number of VW Crafters' VW can purchase. So you could bet your bottom dollar Damlier Chrysler won't have a bar of it, that is allowing the crafter in to the USA.
Crafters in Australia are just being released at the end of this month. Benz restricted sales of the crafter in Australia! Under the license agreement to allow, just under two thousand units for sale, so the camper will be the way VW Goes along with the passenger concept, Maybe!
Tell me the markets not rigged.
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I tell you Richard, it seems like Australia gets all the good vehicles or at least the ones that I want. Diesel Land Cruiser pickup with the solid front axle and a bed that folds down from the sides.

I just recently received a front headlight from a Yamaha dealership in New Zealand. That part exists everywhere else except in the USA. :thumbdown: No European dealership would ship to the USA and luckily the part number is the same for Europe and New Zealand meaning it doesn't dip to one or the other side of the road.
Toyota Oh! "What a Felling"
Land Rovers are all over the island name the year and the part it can be foundPicture 043 (Large).jpg

Picture 045 (Large).jpg

Just a few of the lads in local 4x4 units playing in the sand\

Hey we have them big bad utes up north , if you can afford them

Seek
Richard

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I agree with Roger. The Crafter looks much better than the new Sprinter.

The inconvenient truth of the matter is Mercedes have restricted the number of VW Crafters' VW can purchase.
Makes sense that they want to monopolize the market.

Richard...I'm sure you Australians have those humongous utes (what we call pickups here?), but at least you have access to smaller utes with diesels. All we have are the big honking pickups and they keep getting bigger. Even the smaller pickups of before are now midsize (except the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series). :idunno:

Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Seek
I agree with Roger. The Crafter looks much better than the new Sprinter.

Makes sense that they want to monopolize the market.

Richard...I'm sure you Australians have those humongous utes (what we call pickups here?), but at least you have access to smaller utes with diesels. All we have are the big honking pickups and they keep getting bigger. Even the smaller pickups of before are now midsize (except the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series). :idunno:

Seek
Seek that dam intruder ! The Toyota keeps following each attachment , must be found of Australia:lol:
Now this reminds me of the Cunnamulla Fella! a "Beaut Ute" Two Sheila's.
a Party and a ute muster out back of Denliquin.
Gives me something to put in the Chit chat part talk about nothin' section of useless information, but then again you Guys are reading it cause it seems to attract US Folk like the great Australian Fly

Better Bugger off oh! Yeah we love Utes , then again we invented them

Richard
Aussie ute trade.jpg

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Seek that dam intruder ! The Toyota keeps following each attachment , must be found of Australia:lol:
:tongue:

I've been reading a lot lately about the diesels and it looks like, I hope, 2008 will be the year that the US will get more choices on diesels or at least the smaller ones. :clapping:

Seek

ps. Is that true about Australia being the first for the ute?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Seek Theres always been an argument as if we did invent the Ute However we were the first to mass produce them , the style is different to the U.S Pick up where you have a narrow pick up bed with running boards and flared out wheels built on the principle of the old dray when Horses were abound, the difference with Australian utes, is the bed extends to the outside frame work of the vehicle with wheel arch enclosed, thus giving you more loading space.
Australia built them for Chevrolet during world war 11 then transfered the design to the GM Canadian division.
Now GM in the states are thinking of importing the holden ute under the El Camino banner again they are a one tonne ute in both single and dual cab variations sorry no stake side utes down under the termites would eat em' alive.
I have been watching the policies of the U.S senate in reference to climate and pollution controls, not an easy one as the industry is so far behind in it's infrastructures , but people will vote with their feet I think you will have your dream come true, but maybe a decade late as to other countries.
Don't underestimate Australia we are very advanced in technology and always have been , but we don't have the monies to finance what we develop or invent, so it's goes to auction for a few cents so some one else makes the big bucks." You could equally compare Australia to Canada resource rich, small populations , therefore disadvantaged to growing our own wealth" We invented the rotary Sarich engine very few working parts capable of doing eighty miles to the Gallon at high performance speed ran out of money Ford USA bought it with big promises and buried it in the chamber of archives, Technology is already here in fuel efficient non polluting vehicles ,but there are companies with a mandate to prevent this advancement form occurring due to the fact , that while one single barrel of oil lies in the ground they'll milk it for all it's worth.

Richard
The Chev is an Australian design 1947-48 from Memory that one came in from Canada.in CDK format
bright_steve_1948b.jpg

baysideresize.jpg

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Don't underestimate Australia we are very advanced in technology and always have been
Me? Never. I might question it just to feed my brain, but I never underestimate someone, someplace, or something. Where else would we get ARB lockers, the Orbital 2-stroke, Koala bears, and Kangaroos :)smilewink:).

I looked at the patent and the construction of ARB locker around the same time I was installing them in my Jeep and I was truly impressed. :thumbup: Living and working in Silicon Valley, I would think that the top computer pc board designers are right here. They're not. They're in Taiwan.

That El Camino is nice, but it will probably arrive here as an expensive nostalgic sports-mobile/truck. I really need something that's cheap to buy/maintain, 4 doors, small, fuel efficient, and most importantly something that I'm not afraid of dumping a bag of cement mix into the bed. :smirk: Oh well, I guess I'll continue dreamin' :snore:and keep my trusty little Chevy S10 extended cab with a 5-speed and 2.2l 4 cyl petrol. I'm satisfied with the 22city/28hwy that it gets, but I'm sure an equivalent sized turbo diesel would be better.

Seek

Top Bottom