Question about using Biodiesel

contractor

Well I got to see the cloud point of biodiesel today. This morning it was 30F and I had 1 quart of pure biodiesel in my cargo area that I was to add to my next 1/2 tank of fuel. I took this quart out when moving my cargo and it looked like curdled milk. I took it out and set it in the sun (reading 45F) and it gradually turned back to a translucent color. I could see this really causing issues using a high % of bio on a cold day.

Do different formulas of biodiesel have different gelling temperatures? For example, would B2 have a different gelling temperature than, say, B5 or B20? I would assume that the higher the concentration of biodiesel, the higher the temperature will be for gelling to occur. Can one use fuel additives (like anti-gelling formula) with biodiesel?

-Michael

contractor

Do different formulas of biodiesel have different gelling temperatures? For example, would B2 have a different gelling temperature than, say, B5 or B20? I would assume that the higher the concentration of biodiesel, the higher the temperature will be for gelling to occur. Can one use fuel additives (like anti-gelling formula) with biodiesel?

-Michael
I would presume the cloud point temperature increases as the % of Bio increases. I'm running 2-4% and no issues with gelling.

contractor

I checked my mileage with the blend of 2-4% Bio and I was pleased with the numbers. This is the third winter I've driven in and I have never broken the 20MPG mark. Today was the first at 20.6 MPG. It may be premature to celebrate since this is only one data point, however, I check my mileage with each fill and this is a first:thumbup:

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I've been led to believe that all Diesel sold in Oregon is 5% bio by law. Something about lowering emissions.

The dealer assured me that 5% is approved by Daimler.

contractor

I checked my mileage with the blend of 2-4% Bio and I was pleased with the numbers. This is the third winter I've driven in and I have never broken the 20MPG mark. Today was the first at 20.6 MPG. It may be premature to celebrate since this is only one data point, however, I check my mileage with each fill and this is a first:thumbup:
Well I just filled up for the second time and the mileage is now 21.6MPG. That is incredible mileage for the Winter Fuel mix since I typically get 19 - 19 1/4 MPG. This is the second consecutive time I broke thru the 20 MPG barrier in the winter months in three years.
I am convinced the Biodiesel has increased my mileage ... but I'm not sure why. Either the additional lubrication has decreased the friction or maybe the cleaning properties have improved my injection pattern.
I haven't changed any other variables and it is still cold enough that the Winter blended fuels should still being produced so therefore I am seeing a a 9% improvement in mileage:cheers:
Has anyone else tried blending Biodiesel and if so, have you seen similar results?

scubanw3

I’ve been running B20 for four years (03 140” 2500SHC) and consistently get 20+mpg in the winter and 24+mpg in the spring, summer and fall. BTW, the mandatory B5 law is for the Portland area of Oregon. We hope the State adopts the same law a.s.a.p.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
sprinterstore.com
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile
I would presume the cloud point temperature increases as the % of Bio increases. I'm running 2-4% and no issues with gelling.
As presumed, percentage of bio in your fuel impacts clouding - however, more significant is source(feed stock) of bio: Cloud point for bio-diesel depends on the source of the bio-diesel. Bio made from beef clouds above 60 degrees F, depending on which fat it is made from. Not a problem in Hawaii, but likely a problem for anyone in Seattle. I've never had petro cloud, but have been told that if petro jells, it's not easy to cure; bio, however, just needs to warm up.

Tim

contractor

As presumed, percentage of bio in your fuel impacts clouding - however, more significant is source(feed stock) of bio: Cloud point for bio-diesel depends on the source of the bio-diesel. Bio made from beef clouds above 60 degrees F, depending on which fat it is made from. Not a problem in Hawaii, but likely a problem for anyone in Seattle. I've never had petro cloud, but have been told that if petro jells, it's not easy to cure; bio, however, just needs to warm up.

Tim
Beef? I wouldn't think of it ... I use the Vegan blend that is from soy:laughing:

Top Bottom