Front headliner etc

Front headliner & alt aux battery

I am insulating my just purchased 2500 cargo and want to remove the foam corner blocks just aft of the headliner. I cannot feel any fasteners under the blocks. Are they fastened from under the headliner ( don't really want to remove the headliner ) ?

Tnx, Bob

P.S. another and easier way to add an isolated aux battery where you want is to use a battery combiner ( marine ) which has only three connections ( 2 battery cables and ground ). They sense increased charging voltage and then connect aux battery with a high current relay. Don't forget to fuse new cable at existing battery terminal block and use a heavy enough cable to handle large charging current. One source is defender.com .

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Re: Front headliner & alt aux battery

I am insulating my just purchased 2500 cargo and want to remove the foam corner blocks just aft of the headliner. I cannot feel any fasteners under the blocks. Are they fastened from under the headliner ( don't really want to remove the headliner ) ?
Hi Bob:

There were no fasteners, but if I remember correctly the foam had molded pegs that snapped into the body. There's so little room between the foam and the headliner that you'll have to do some damage to the foam in order to remove it. Good luck.

P.S. another and easier way to add an isolated aux battery where you want is to use a battery combiner ( marine ) which has only three connections ( 2 battery cables and ground ). They sense increased charging voltage and then connect aux battery with a high current relay. Don't forget to fuse new cable at existing battery terminal block and use a heavy enough cable to handle large charging current. One source is defender.com .
You should post this in the Aftermarket Accessories section under Interior.

Seek

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Re: Front headliner & alt aux battery

seek is correct

pull towards the middle of the van there are 2 (maybe 3) molded "mushroom" plugs about 1" in diameter that hold the foam up...

Cheers
George

sikwan

06 Tin Can
whats the foam for ..
cushin incase you hit your head on it:thinking:
Probably. Can't think of anything else. There's more of them around the sliding door. I don't remember seeing them rear of the driver's side, except for the one near the driver's head.

Seek

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I think tat's what they are for: rollover protection from head injuries.

There's something strange on US sprinters also: the A pillar covers are much thicker urethane covers than the originals. If you pry them off (pull very hard towards the center of the van) you can see where the originals are much smaller.

Cheers
George

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I think tat's what they are for: rollover protection from head injuries.

There's something strange on US sprinters also: the A pillar covers are much thicker urethane covers than the originals. If you pry them off (pull very hard towards the center of the van) you can see where the originals are much smaller.

Cheers
George
George is right on this it's a US thing! Not on any of the Aussie sprinters or the Euro models, don't quote me on this but I thought I'd seen it somewhere?
where they were to have been removed as to the issue with the back blocks resulted in an unforeseen problem in the event of an accident,, just can't remember if it was from a directive from DCX or via some other safety organization in the U.S??
Richard

Top Bottom