ECU Light on, need help

Adam1100

Hi,

The ECU engine light stays on on my Dodge Sprinter 3500. It seems to run OK, but I don't hear the turbo spin anymore and is down on power. The owners manual says that it either ran out of gas (it didn't) or needs to be looked at by a dealer.

Any ideas on how to reset or fix?

Thanks,

Adam

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Hello Adam, same problem with my 2006 2500 this weekend!

Ran low on fuel with the low fuel indicator lamp on for 20 miles, refueled and while driving for 10 miles I experienced this power loss. My Engine Control Unit Malfunction Indicator Lamp remains on despite repeated attempts to rectify the problem following my owners manual instructions. I will now remove the small positive battery cable for 1/2 an hour then replace, hoping to reset the computer error code.

Good luck...Jack...:bow:

Adam1100

Yea, it is a weird problem. I disconnected the battery cable overnight and the light went out and the truck ran great on our trip to the mountains. Once we were there the light came back on the next morning and the truck ran like crap. again. I disconnected the battery cable again overnight and that did not solve the problem this time.

I limped to our next camp site, went MC riding all day, spent the night and then left for home yesterday AM. This time the light was on but the rig ran OK, not as good as it usually does but good enough to climb hills.

The weird part was that when I stopped for gas (diesel) the light went out and the truck ran perfectly the rest of the way home.

I should mention that this is a new unit with less than 4K miles.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Hi,

The ECU engine light stays on on my Dodge Sprinter 3500.....

Any ideas on how to reset or fix?
>I should mention that this is a new unit with less than 4K miles.
I'm not trying to be a wise guy but is this really a question? How to fix it? You just bought the thing, bring it back! It's their problem not yours! Be sure to keep documentation as well incase this becomes a serious issue. The scanner for checking resetting codes is I believe a dealer only peice of equipment. I have a picture of one I took the last time I was in. It's really your only means of checking/resetting a code.

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
I'm not trying to be a wise guy but is this really a question? How to fix it? You just bought the thing, bring it back! It's their problem not yours! Be sure to keep documentation as well incase this becomes a serious issue. The scanner for checking resetting codes is I believe a dealer only peice of equipment. I have a picture of one I took the last time I was in. It's really your only means of checking/resetting a code.
Hello Scott,

As per owners manual...:thumbdown:

'Engine Control Unit Indicator Lamp'
"If the engine control unit indicator lamp remains on or lights up again while the vehicle is moving, the fuel tank was run empty or a fault has developed in the engine control unit. The engine's power output may be reduced."

"Refuel and bleed the fuel system or have the cause traced and rectified by an authorized Sprinter Dealer."

'Bleeding The Diesel Fuel System'

"The diesel fuel system must be bled before starting the engine.

. Turn the key in the ignition lock position 2 for at least 30 seconds.

. Return the key to position 0.

. Start the engine three to four times. The engine control unit indicator lamp must go out."

I repeated this procedure multiple times......
Zero...Zip...Nada...:bash:
I contacted my local Dodge Dealership and was told the Sprinter MUST be brought in for the correction...:yell:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Jack,
Does that mean that you brought it to the dealer? And what about Adam 1100? Fixed yet?

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Jack,
Does that mean that you brought it to the dealer? And what about Adam 1100? Fixed yet?
Scott, I reported to our local Dodge Dealership for 'the fix'.

Low and behold......the problem was coincidently the Turbo Resonator.

The Sprinter Tech Girl told me sorry but they had a Bad Batch Run of Turbo Resonators?...:yell:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
Jack, I'm right up the road from you, in Port St. Lucie. What dealer do you use for your service?

I've had my Leisure Travel Van back to the RV dealer for service, and they ran it down to their local Dodge dealer for warranty work -- this is in Sarasota, RV World, the only LTV dealer in the state. However, I'd rather not drive all the way across the state for oil changes and such.

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Jack, I'm right up the road from you, in Port St. Lucie. What dealer do you use for your service?

I've had my Leisure Travel Van back to the RV dealer for service, and they ran it down to their local Dodge dealer for warranty work -- this is in Sarasota, RV World, the only LTV dealer in the state. However, I'd rather not drive all the way across the state for oil changes and such.
Hello neighbor Don...:bounce:

Arrigo Dodge...:thumbup:

Arrigo Dodge Chrysler Jeep
6500 Okeechobee Blvd
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
Sales : 1-866-897-4634
Preowned : 561-683-1511
Service : 1-866-897-4634
Parts : 561-683-1511

These guys are top notch and service many Sprinter Conversion Vans...:professor:

Help!

My ECU light also just came on for no apparent reason. The van was not low on fuel. I think that I hear a different noise from the engine compartment but an not sure. I have had this 2004 with 40K miles for only about a month so am not intune with all its sounds. It appears that the van has not lost any power but it is hard for me to tell what is "normal."

My questions:

1. What is a normal resonator sound like?
2. Should there be noticable loss of power if it is the resonator?
3. Is my 40K mile van covered under warranty?

Any other help would be appreciated.

Regards.

acvr4

I'm new to these but I did read in the owner manual that when the engine light comes on the power may be reduced.

Aubie

When my light came on I had it checked and my problem was the glow plugs and the glow plug module. Fuel mileage got better afterwards.

moto_955

Hey looks like this topic is pretty old but I'm experiencing the old "ECU" lamp issue now too with my 2006 3500 Sprinter. Mine came on after I ran it about 15 miles with the low fuel indicator lamp on and hasn't turned off since I refuelled it. Unfortunately I bought the vehicle used so there is no warranty claims for me. The van seems to be running good as usual and I haven't noticed any power loss. The one thing I did notice however when I popped the hood is the high bitched beeping noise coming from the engine...not sure if this is related to the ECU issue or not but I've never noticed it before.
Do you guys recommend I try bleeding the injectors or is that a waste of time? Should I take it to the dealer to have the cpu reset? How would I know if there is a problem with the turbo resonantor and if that is the case, what will it cost to have fixed by the dealer?
I really appreciate the help!

Dylan

Schooner

My ECU light came on - a 2005 with about 100,000 miles. I searched and found this. I ran it up to speed and no loss in power, so I turned the key to position 2 for 30 seconds, then off and started the Sprinter. No light - thanks.
:cheers:

lindenengineering

Some info about OBD2.
If you have a "soft code" or have fixed the issue which brought on the CEL you don't need to full clear the codes and then do a re-learn to achieve a new relearn to close the monitors.

A simple three cycle rotation of the ignition key will clear the codes if you have run through the cycles and closed the monitor of the fault(s) you orginally had!

A quick scan in mode 6 will double confirm it or go Global OBD2 and monitors closed screen.

This becomes useful when fixing E compliance failures.
I am talking more about gasoline engines here but OBD2 diesel does apply!
Say I get an E failure for O2 sensors.
The O2 sensor monitor won't close so CEL is on!

Having identified the problem, say new sensors! After install I simply run the vehicle to close the monitor going through the drive cycles. Once closed my CEL might still be on but doing the 3 cycles rotation gig will extinguish the light. Now the fault will be recorded in history but the vehicle will be in full compliance.

Doing a full clear will reset ALL the monitors which can be as much as nine! Meaning I will have to do a full re-learn drive cycle excercise on the customers dime to get full compliance.
Hope that make sense
Dennis

Top Bottom