Roaring Turbo-Resonator

What Next

Bulbasor sounds like mine , Something I didn't know I had and didn't miss now I want it to work but van is out of warranty. I wonder how you remove it to have a closer look at it? Oh the little pump is working.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Easiest thing to do is the hook it up to a DRBIII. The service manuals recommends doing this (I would say it's no help for a person who wants to find out for him/her-self).

Your coolant pump might be out. Try shutting off the truck and hitting the rest button. Then pop the hood and check the little pump. It's on the firewall to the left of the brake master cylinder. It should vibrate if it's working.
Other things to check...

- Make sure you have at least a 1/4 tank of diesel. The service manual recommends 1/8.
- There's also the (diesel) dosing pump to check. If it has been sitting for a long time, you may have to reprime it.

I'll read more about it to see if I missed anything.

BULBASOR

Hey Sikwan, I think your on the right track? The REST heater works fine and I have used that gadget many times in the past. (It keeps us warm when we are parked) But the heater boost I have never really used.

I think I have been in some really freezing temps where it could have helped my mileage by getting the temp up to a more efficiant level.

How do I get the pump primed? I guess I could go back to the dealer. Bulbasor is a 2004 T1N with 7year 70,000 mile warranty, (he only has 26K on the meter). So I suppose there is nothing to lose by having the dealer check it out.

Has anyone ever had trouble getting this gadjet to work? Any easy fix?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
How do I get the pump primed? I guess I could go back to the dealer. Bulbasor is a 2004 T1N with 7year 70,000 mile warranty, (he only has 26K on the meter). So I suppose there is nothing to lose by having the dealer check it out.

Has anyone ever had trouble getting this gadjet to work? Any easy fix?
In this thread, there's some more information about the pump.

As for priming it, the manual says to use the DRBIII to prime it. Without the DRBIII, I believe you have to introduce 12V to the pump to prime it. It also states that activating the heater without the pump being primed will generate a code. If you're not generating a code, I believe your pump is primed.

When the heater is activated, the pump should click when pumping diesel to the heater.

What Next

The heat booster is under Basic Warranty 3 years 36,000 service writer would not cover it under engine. I have a late 04 which warranty went into effect March 05 I was over on miles 41,000. I can see damage to 2 wires just after plug ??? if I could get booster out and look at wires close maybe I could fix them. Does headlight come out then I could get at booster.

BULBASOR

SIKWAN!

The thread you cited says to turn the heater knob to HOT.

I have never tried that.

I suppose I will try starting the engine,
Hit the little bar button
Turn Heater to HOT
Turn on REST button, (to give recirc pump a kick).
Tune for smoke

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I suppose I will try starting the engine,
Hit the little bar button
Turn Heater to HOT
Turn on REST button, (to give recirc pump a kick).
Tune for smoke
Just a note for mine to work, I just started the engine and hit the little bar button.

None of the other ones matter.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Unless I missed something in this hijacked thread, there is no discussion with regard to the Auxiliary heater's switch. There are two versions, and I don't know which one Bulbasor has: (1) the older version of a standard Mercedes toggle with 4 or so vertical heat lines; and (2) the rectangle timer unit located next to the power plug. The Auxilary Heater (at least with the 2002's) requires the key in the #2 position, before toggling on the Auxilary Heater, turn the fan on, and the thermostat to something other than cool. The key can then be removed and the Auxilary heater will continue operations of 2 hours. The models with timers don't need this keyed action to get them started. I occassionally hear the heater turn on by itself if the heater switch is also on (middle bar) and the van is cold but running.

At least with the older models, REST has nothing to do with the Auxilary Heater. It is only a heat scavenger on a warm but shut-down engine.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I occassionally hear the heater turn on by itself if the heater switch is also on (middle bar) and the van is cold but running.
This is the third which the owner's manual calls a "heater booster." It uses the same unit that's underneath the driver's side headlight, it heats the engine faster, uses the center bar button just above the REST button, but it only operates with the engine running (or maybe with the key in ON position, haven't tried this one).

I ordered the Aux Heater and it comes with the rectangular timer unit. I just press the red squiggly marked button and it turns on. No engine running or key needed in the ignition.

I do not have the standard toggle switch that you listed as (1).

At least with the older models, REST has nothing to do with the Auxilary Heater. It is only a heat scavenger on a warm but shut-down engine.
Same with my 2006.

Top Bottom