Anyone familiar with the A-Pillar in a T1N?

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I want to install a different radio antenna beside the front window.
Is the A-Pillar hollow, or filled with brackets and bracing supports that won't allow a retractable antenna in it? It would be great to know before I drill in it from the outside.

I want to install a different radio antenna beside the front window.
Is the A-Pillar hollow,
First let's make certain I'm remembering correctly. The A pillar is the one up front by the windshield correct? The one on my 2004 is hollow, but there is a dense foam removable filler inside. I believe it is there for impact safety protection in the event of a crash. That can be hollowed out I suppose.

Before you drill anything you should pop the inner gray plastic cover off. There are descriptions of how to do that on other threads for radio speaker installation. As I recall it just basically pops loose. Be careful of that inner foam though, I broke my foam when removing my first cover to install additional speaker wires. A bit of duct tape held the pieces in place for re-assembly so it wasn't really that big of a deal. Have fun. vic

Colorado_Al

Easy to remove. Just pull it from the side near the windshield, near the middle. If you can get 2 hands on it, one high and one low, you'll have a better chance of not breaking the foam inside.

lzcamper

Here's a couple of photos. The left side pillar photo shows a view of it at at the start of a work session. The right side pillar photo shows what it looks like at the end of the day, after a couple of 6 packs.

As Colorado Al mentioned, it's easy to remove.

Rick

Attachments

... after a couple of 6 packs.

Rick
Rick,
My kinda work day. :thumbup: That photo can't be right for the end of the day though, it isn't fuzzy at all... oops, the second one is. :tongue:

So did you install a pillar antenna? Any pics or comments about installing that? vic

Last edited:

lzcamper

Vic,

I removed the "A pillar" covers to install wires for overhead speakers, not to install an antenna. It would be interesting to see if NelsonSprinter managed to install his retractable antenna in that location.

Rick

I had a clearance problem with my garage door, so I installed a surface mount antenna. I don't believe there is room for the motor, etc., necessary for a retractable.

Got it at Crutchfield for less than $10.00 and it improved reception significantly. Unfortunately, the antenna caused significant wind noise on the freeway. I was able to eliminate the noise by wrapping a piece of tin around the antenna to create a wind foil.

Good luck!

Bob

The Fish Keeper

Attachments

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it will be placed in above the windshield line near the edge where the front and side meet , and the wire will come down with the others there, It's not a motorized retractable, but a manual one that slides inside the A pillar.

Last edited:

Top Bottom