View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #28
4wheeldog

Default Re: Oil. Is this the real deal or ?? Major bullet points and concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgladden2 View Post
Supplement to the above post regarding Tom Stephens: the 2019 Sprinter Owner's Manual page 330. Note that Mobil 1 isn't even mentioned, and that they provide guidelines only for the types of oil, and the temperature ranges you want to operate under when using different viscosity oils:

It's page 330 in the manual, which can be found here: https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owne.../owner-manuals

Text:

The containers of the various engine oils are marked with the ACEA (Association of European Automotive Manufacturers) and/or API (America Petroleum Institute) classifications. Only use approved engine oils that correspond to the MB Specifications for operating fluids and the prescribed ACEA and/or API classifications named below. Engine oils of other grades are not permissible and can result in the loss of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The use of other engine oils not approved for diesel engines can damage the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Diesel engines MB-Freigabe orMBApproval
OM642/OM651 228.51, 229.31,
229.51, 229.52

If the engine oils listed in the table are not available, you may add a maximum 1.1 US qt (1.0 liter) of the following engine oils once only: R Vehicles with a diesel engine: MB-Freigabe or MB-Approval 228.5, 229.3 or 229.5

Multigrade engine oils of the prescribed SAE classification (viscosity) may be used all year round, taking the outside temperature into account.

Viscosity of the engine oil

* NOTE Engine damage due to incorrect SAE classification (viscosity) of the engine oil
If the SAE classification (viscosity) of the engine oil added is not suitable for prolonged low outside temperatures, it may cause engine damage. The temperature readings of the SAE classification are always based on fresh oil. Engine oil ages when driving as a result of soot and fuel residue. The characteristics of engine oil deteriorate significantly at low outside temperatures.

# Use an engine oil of the appropriate SAE classification at low outside temperatures.
# Use oil for all-year-round operation.

The temperature readings of the SAE classification are always based on fresh oil. The temperature characteristics of the engine oil, especially at low outside temperatures, can deteriorate significantly due to aging when driving.

Therefore, Mercedes-Benz recommends that you change the engine oil before the start of the cold season. Only use an approved engine oil in the prescribed SAE classification for this purpose. The viscosity indicates the flow characteristics of a fluid. With regard to engine oil, a high viscosity is synonymous with thick liquid and a low viscosity with thin liquid. Depending on the outside temperatures, select the engine oil according to the SAE classification (viscosity). The table shows the SAE classifications to be used. The low temperature characteristics of engine oils can deteriorate significantly during operation due to aging and soot and fuel accretion, for example. A regular oil change with an approved engine oil in the appropriate SAE classification is therefore strongly recommended.
Just as a data point, I had an analysis done on the original
oil in my Sprinter at about 8k miles. There was barely a trace of fuel present.
I am careful to avoid high levels of biofuel, which is the more likely issue with contamination.
Thicker oil does not seal rings better than the appropriate oil. And the issue with fuel contamination of lubricating oil is not just loss of viscosity. It is chemistry, which happens regardless of how thick the oil is.
Though I will continue to change oil at about half of MBís recommendations, I will continue to use only the recommended lubricant.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote