Where is the EGR value on a UK 2002 311CDi 2.2 OM611 Sprinter

darrenlambert

Hi

I have a UK (right hand drive) 2002 311CDi 2.2 OM611 Sprinter.
I can't find the EGR value. I'm getting the classic limp home mode, which clears on a restart of the engine.
All of the videos and photos I can find reference the revised 2004 model, with a different EGR value, or are US models with a seemingly different manifold.

I've included pics of my engine.
Going to check and replace all hoses, and give it a good clean.

Thanks

Darren

Attachments

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
You do not have EGR on a 2002 UK Spec T1N!

We're lucky to be not encumbered with EGR, DPF, DEF, etc., etc...

Have you scanned for codes? You may have a failing boost solenoid or slight boost air leak.

Keith.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
My money is on a bad turbo control solenoid. Thankfully these engines are easy to diagnose with a decent scanner and multimeter.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Darren, question off topic,
What is the ball valve for with yellow handle, against the firewall, below the cabin air filter ?

darrenlambert

Darren, question off topic,
What is the ball valve for with yellow handle, against the firewall, below the cabin air filter ?
This is a campervan with a hot water calorifier. I’ve tapped into the coolant system to power it, so there is a feed and return pipe to the calorifier tank inside the vehicle. The ball valves are there to isolate in case of a problem.

darrenlambert

Have you scanned for codes? You may have a failing boost solenoid or slight boost air leak.

Keith.
Thanks Keith. Can you recommend a good code scanner?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi Darren,

I use an Autel MD802 which I have had for a few years now but there is a newer model, the MD808. In either case make sure to get the 'All Systems' version an there is a cheaper basic four system model available.

Alternatively there is the brand new Autel AP200 BlueTooth dongle to use with a SmartPhone App which is getting good reviews and is considerable cheaper.

And now the big BUT... You will have a round 14 pin Diagnostic Connector (lower LH side of dash by bonnet pull) and will need an adaptor to connect ANY scanner to your Sprinter.
I have a cheap eBay lead but this only has one pair of K-Lines connected (plus power) so can only access limited ECU's. It cannot access the likes of ABS or Security modules.

I have just purchased an adaptor lead from a link on another post from Ali_express for the grand price of £2.77 (with introductory offer). It arrived in the last few minutes so haven't had a chance to check it yet. I'll post the link later. PS It took one week to arrive from Middlesex.

Keith.

PS I also run a ScanGauge II during driving to monitor engine parameters. Search the forum for SGII.

Last edited:

Duocovery

Keith.
Do you know if the euro model 311cdi 2005 have an egr ? I have been looking everywhere and can't find any so im thinking it is probably the same as 2002 but maybe im wrong?

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
All ROW sprinters are the same 2001-2006 they all use the om611/om612. There was no engine change in 2004 like there was on NAFTA sprinters.

Jcav

Here is the 14 pin to 16 pin cable on Ali-Express...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=785304&postcount=10

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32949962988.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.56484c4dVb1jqK

Mine cost the grand sum of £2.77 (GBP) and arrived in seven days.

Keith
Hi, sorry to jump in. I know this is a couple of years late. But anyway.

Since reading your comment about the 14pin to Obd2, I realised I just bought a standard one from an online store..
Is there a possibility that this is not up to standard? As I cannot pull any codes other than (CR) common rail.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Since reading your comment about the 14pin to Obd2, I realised I just bought a standard one from an online store..
Is there a possibility that this is not up to standard? As I cannot pull any codes other than (CR) common rail.
Quite likely it is only 4 core cable! Do a continuity test and I bet you find only 4 pins are connected!

Have a read of this thread for all the details... https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/77817/

Keith.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)

The T1N diagnostics do not use CAN bus and the modules are spread over seven different diagnostic pins, with only the CDI module on the mandatory “engine” pin. So your scan tool needs to know which pins to probe in order to find the other modules. Most generic scanners don’t have the correct programming, hence the repeated advise to use a “sprinter aware tool”… and, as Cheyenne commented, your adapter cable may only be wired for a subset of the 14-pin to 16-pin pairings, leaving out the majority of the T1N’s module diagnostic lines. So start by checking you’re connecting to the full set of pin pairings.

-dave

Top Bottom