T21 Emissions Recall Notice

kite

Thanks autostaretx. I called them and had them note the codes that came up immediately after the reprogramming, but they won't order the MAF until one of their techs looks at it. Seems like for these recall parts they have to order them tied to a VIN only once they determine it's actually needed. Annoying for sure since as vanski said, my 2004 was almost certainly going to need a cluster...which is backordered...but can't be ordered until they start this train wreck.

I just hope they don't push back on the recall causing the MAF issue when I bring it back in...

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
BS.. a MAF is a MAF for an ‘04-06’. I still don’t have this truck back...

Ask the folks down in SLO where they stock ICs and MAFs

Russell Westbrook looks like they're based in Van Nuys (Los Angeles).

https://www.russellwestbrookcdjrofvannuys.com/

Might try telling Russell Westbrook that Cole Chrysler Dodge in San Luis Obispo is doing this under the recall (sometimes, dealers do talk to each other to get stuff). Show them the T21 Recall covers the MAF and the EGR.

Worst case scenario, see if Cole Chrysler Dodge might takeover and reinspect your van. If Cole's diagnostic inspection shows the MAF and EGR are related.to the T21 Recall, might supersede Russell Westbrook's diagnosis.of unrelated.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I called Cole Chrysler Dodge told them about my situation and they agreed to replace my MAF. I had to drive 180 miles to get there, I did not want to deal with Russell Westbrook anymore.

19 miles from Cole Chrysler the van went into LHM, but I made it there. They called me to let me know that it was ready, but upon inspection I had another code that popped up for a cylinder 1 fuel injector, this code was not there when I set out that morning, and that it was still in LHM. So I called AAA to get a tow, my Plus membership would cover 100 miles only, cost of the tow would have been $790. I decided to drive 80 miles and then get it towed. Of course I didn't have my tools with me so I couldn't check anything out until I got home.

Once I got home I pulled the cover off to discover that the electrical connector on cylinder one fuel injector was not pushed in all the way, must of worked itself loose and cylinder connector was coming off too. Cleaned and seated all the connectors now all is good. Now I can get it smog and registered glad its all over with.

LAM-PARK

There is no exception for Californians. You must call a dealership (close to you) that can perform the T21. Notify them that you have a 2004. They must have a spare gauge cluster to complete the T21 on your 2004.

Again, no exceptions for Californians (unless you live somewhere that doesn't require the smog check). The T21 enforcement is finally here.
That is what I have been hoping for as my 2006 T1N has never been through a smog check. Went to register it last week and was told "Sorry, you need to have a T21 preformed prior to getting your new tags."

Called the dealer, was told the backlog is 5-6 weeks and it will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to complete.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
That is what I have been hoping for as my 2006 T1N has never been through a smog check. Went to register it last week and was told "Sorry, you need to have a T21 preformed prior to getting your new tags."

Called the dealer, was told the backlog is 5-6 weeks and it will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to complete.
Should NOT take 2 weeks. If they have the dash parts (mainly for 2004 models) and theres nothing else wrong with your van it should take them a few hours.

JoeHike

I am a lucky California owner of a 2004. I have the GDE tune and am loathe to do the t21 recall, and still have not done it. Last year, I was able to smog and register my van without any problems. Last month, I got my 2019 renewal notice, but there was no mention of the recall. So I went online and did the registration renewal. Just received my registration sticker last week.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

My recent Instrument cluster replacement on my 2004 to remedy the Post T21 recall symptoms of constant on IC back light and constant running EGR took all in about 3 hours,....when they replaced the dash, the symptoms went away,....but my ABS light came on and would not go out. The dealer (Freightliner Houston) had to call their "Sprinter Guru" to sort it out,....and once they contacted him,....they followed some manual reset tips he suggested and all the lights turned off. 200 mile drive home,.....no issues.

ions82

According to the VIN # recall check on the Mopar site, my van (2004) had the T21 recall completed. However, there is no date recorded of when it was done. The battery in my van will die if it sits for a few days. The ODO stays illuminated for a while after it's been shut off. The other day, it was still on after 15 minutes but was off after driving it and then being turned off for 30-45 minutes. It seems like I remember seeing it stay on overnight once. Do the problematic consoles have random power-down times like that? Is there a sure way to determine if it's a replacement? The CEL light was on when I bought it, and it was saying it needed a new MAF sensor. Replaced it (was awfully dirty) along with the dustiest air filter I've ever seen. Codes cleared, CEL still on. I bought an Autel scanner (MD805), but I can't use it because the plug won't go into the van's OBD2 port. I ordered an extension to see if that will go in. This van is fightin' me! I don't mind it being a little feisty as it runs GREAT. Once we get these kinks worked out, it'll be an awesome road warrior.

HelloPitty

According to the VIN # recall check on the Mopar site, my van (2004) had the T21 recall completed. However, there is no date recorded of when it was done. The battery in my van will die if it sits for a few days.
The battery dying sure sounds like the instrument cluster wasn't replaced.
Are you in Calif.? I ask because Cole Dodge in San Luis Obispo has (from what I've read here), fixed a recall done by another dealership.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Another thing that can cause display-doesn't-turn-off is a failure of the "key in ignition" switch.

That issue would cause the warning chimes when you opened your door.
(when mine doesn't notice i've pulled the key, a simple re-insert/remove usually clears it)

--dick

Preston

04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo
I had the recall update done by a local Dodge dealer. Yes, the instrument cluster light stays on and hopefully they will be replacing that today. There doesn't seem to be any other changes to the van except for the turn signals started working intermittently since then. Has there been a connection (no pun intended) between the two before?

Thanks!

99sport

According to the VIN # recall check on the Mopar site, my van (2004) had the T21 recall completed. However, there is no date recorded of when it was done. The battery in my van will die if it sits for a few days. The ODO stays illuminated for a while after it's been shut off. The other day, it was still on after 15 minutes but was off after driving it and then being turned off for 30-45 minutes. It seems like I remember seeing it stay on overnight once. Do the problematic consoles have random power-down times like that? Is there a sure way to determine if it's a replacement? The CEL light was on when I bought it, and it was saying it needed a new MAF sensor. Replaced it (was awfully dirty) along with the dustiest air filter I've ever seen. Codes cleared, CEL still on. I bought an Autel scanner (MD805), but I can't use it because the plug won't go into the van's OBD2 port. I ordered an extension to see if that will go in. This van is fightin' me! I don't mind it being a little feisty as it runs GREAT. Once we get these kinks worked out, it'll be an awesome road warrior.
Without knowing your codes, its hard to say what is causing your MIL, but your situation sounds like mine. I recently bought a former FedEx van that had had the T21 recall done. New MAF would not clear MAF codes or MIL. MIL was light all the time - code was reset as soon as the engine started. As detailed in the thread link below, I had several problems, but after calling Doktor A, determined that MAF initialization was needed after all repairs were made to clear the MIL - this was difficult to diagnose since MAF initialization is not listed in any Dodge documentation (not a thing on T1Ns, only in NCV3 service manual) as it was only added to T1Ns with the T21 recall. Pull your codes with a good code reader and consult the following thread if you have any of the codes mentioned there.

As I do not have a 2004, I did not have any instrument cluster issues from the T21 recall (I had IC and traction control parameter mismatch issues, but that was a whole other problem).

If you are in the LA area, I have a Xentry and may be able to help you, depending on what your codes reveal.

Good luck!

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75797

neelymoto

2014 LTV Unity MB
California owner of 2006 Leisure Travel 210B on a 2005 Dodge TIN chassis with GDE tune here, checking in to see if anybody has found a competent dealer to do the recall in the Sacramento area? My every-other-year smog cert is due with the next renewal in October and there doesn't seem to be any way around getting the recall done.

Also, GDE advised that I should uninstall their ECU tune and reinstall the original. Is that really necessary?
I am uneasy about somehow getting stuck with an erased ECU!

Thanks for any advice.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
California owner of 2006 Leisure Travel 210B on a 2005 Dodge TIN chassis with GDE tune here, checking in to see if anybody has found a competent dealer to do the recall in the Sacramento area? My every-other-year smog cert is due with the next renewal in October and there doesn't seem to be any way around getting the recall done.

Also, GDE advised that I should uninstall their ECU tune and reinstall the original. Is that really necessary?

Thanks for any advice.
Folsom Lake Dodge did the recall on my 06 chassis motorhome. All went well. I can’t comment on the GDE tune.

Gary

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Thanks for any advice.
First, i'd recommend submitting your Sprinter's VIN to https://www.datamb.com/
That will yield your MB "datacard", listing everything MB built into your van... and its build date.
"Early" 2005s have the same instrument cluster issues that 2004s have.
I'd worry a bit if yours was built before (let's say) Jan 1, 2005.

MB will be wiping out your ECU's contents as part of the recall, so you'll lose the GDE tune.
(you could put it back in afterwards, i don't know if the old software will work with the new instrument cluster. I'd tend to think it might.) If you DO want to restore your GDE tune "after the recall", try to capture the recall firmware as a backup copy first.

Here's the "recommended dealerships" thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70872

--dick

jsrmonster

I recommend you get your ecu firmware (entire memory not just tune) backed up before you return ecu to stock. Then get your factory emissions firmware update and state certification/registration satisfied. Than have your old firmware (old sw ver and tune) restored to your ecu. This process must be done on the bench by a competent tuner, not a reseller. Very few of us tuners, thousands of resellers that are clueless to this procedure. ;-))

Thanks for any advice.

D

Deleted member 50714

In the event subsequent ECU firmware revisions prove worst for performance and economy, I want a copy of my current ECU file with suspected emission defeat algorithms. Who and how much does this service cost?

neelymoto

2014 LTV Unity MB
Folsom Lake Dodge did the recall on my 06 chassis motorhome. All went well. I can’t comment on the GDE tune.

Gary
Thanks Gary I'll check with Folsom Lake Dodge.

And thanks to the other members for replies on the GDE tune issue. I had the GDE tune installed a few years back, but am advised by GDE that the new recall software to be installed will prevent the GDE tune from being reinstalled or patched in for California vehicles. So, I see no reason to save the existing ECU tune data. Seems to be unique to California. Am I missing something here?

I am concerned about the early 05 manufacture date issue for the instrument cluster and will look into that. Update: got the recommended Vin decoder search and good news - mine is 8/05 manufacture date.

Last edited:

Top Bottom