2016 Crew Camper for Family of 4

hammerhome

How much movement(flex) do you see/feel in the swing out arm? I have he same bike rack and I'm wondering how tough the rakattach is. Thanks.

sprinterPaul

How much movement(flex) do you see/feel in the swing out arm? I have he same bike rack and I'm wondering how tough the rakattach is. Thanks.

It's pretty heavy duty. It ships with a roadmaster quiet hitch that you tighten up to take out any play. I've had to tighten it up a couple of time while breaking it in.

I watch my bikes on there while on the highway using the backup camera and there really isn't much movement at all. No more than what the Kuat had on its own.

It has a large pin as a safety device but the main locking lever keeps the assembly rock solid.

The Rakattach site shows installation on a Sprinter w/out the step bumper. I'm concerned about how far out the rack is going to stick the bikes on a Sprinter with a step bumper. I'm also a little concerned that the pivot point is actually going to hit the step.

Do you have the step bumper?

Would it be too much to ask for you to take a couple of pics of the system that show the clearance between the rear of the van and the swing hitch assy?

Paul,

Thanks again for your patience with me getting hung up on that hitch mount and for taking the time to inform me about the Rakattach. I ordered mine and it's due to arrive by Wednesday.

I've spent years looking for the right solution and your post was a cut-to-the-chase. The only other option was MWE, but they seem to have either gone "belly up" or completely lost interest in building swinging hitches specifically for tray-style bike racks.

I'm not sure how you came across Rakattach. Their presence is pretty low key, as far as I can tell. I suggested to Walter that he get on this forum, as well as Expedition-portal, and shout out.

Thanks again!

sprinterPaul

I was in the same boat as you. MWE seemed to be the only game but was MIA. I eventually googled "MWE alternative" and hit on a forum post somewhere (maybe here) that referenced it. I definitely like mine. Being able to swing all the bikes out of the way is huge for me. I was always tripping on the rack. And I always have bikes when I camp.

Glad it worked out for you!

sprinterPaul

Got all the parts to put on a Yakima roof rack so I could mount my roof box.

Yakima control towers and landing pad #1 fit the MB factory rails. I used 58 inch load bars that I had from my old rack setup.

Unfortunately I have an older rocket box that only opens from one side (the wrong side for an Aluminess ladder). So I flipped the box mounts around to they would be in the right direction for a backwards box.

I may sell the box and get a newer one that opens on both sides eventually but I don't know if a backwards box makes any diff for fuel use.

I had lots of other things I should have been doing (sprinter or house projects) but taking off to the mountains for a quick one night getaway with my boys seemed like a way better idea!

sailquik

Holy smokes.......how much does your swing away bike rack weigh?
Is that mounted to an OEM factory cross member/receiver?
Hope all your bikes are carbon frame because that sure looks like a lot of weight.
Be nice to see a photo of your rack in the stowed/traveling position with the bikes
mounted.
Roger

sprinterPaul

It angles down more when swung open. Lots of leverage there.

Also my Curtis hitch seems to angle down in the first place which seems a bit silly but adds to it looking like it's angled more than it really is.

I think the entire setup is still lighter than motorcycle carriers with motos.

Last edited:

Top Bottom