Maaco re-spray

Paul_E_D

Negative. 2k for the van is in line with what I paid at Maaco. They were the only shop in my area that would do the project for reasonable money.

Paul_E_D

In my case, that did not include door jambs or under hood. You guys are dreaming if you think someone will do that for 2k.

If you actually have a quote for that, let me know. I'll use them next time!

surlyoldbill

It looks great, I was just wondering on the cost. A van is obviously going to cost more than a car, but when I was looking at a quick scuff'n'spay for my Corvair it was only $500 for their "premium" package.

Paul, there's a guy who cleans and paints heavy equipment at my brother's shop, and he's done a few pickups for $500. If you want a cheaper paintjob, you might ask around about where the heavy equipment gets dolled up before going to an auction house.

tinman

It looks great, I was just wondering on the cost. A van is obviously going to cost more than a car, but when I was looking at a quick scuff'n'spay for my Corvair it was only $500 for their "premium" package.

Paul, there's a guy who cleans and paints heavy equipment at my brother's shop, and he's done a few pickups for $500. If you want a cheaper paintjob, you might ask around about where the heavy equipment gets dolled up before going to an auction house.
...and they look great in Cat yellow.:bounce:

surlyoldbill

...and they look great in Cat yellow.:bounce:
Actually he uses polyurethanes (still legal in Oregon) mixed to spec, but yes, a lot of the standard Cat Yellow, Fire Engine Red, Terex and John Deere green, Ford Blue, etc. I talked to him about painting my car years back. He gets 5 gal cans, and usually has paint leftover.

wrpeterson

2003 GS Vista Cruiser
$2k seems like a lot for Maaco, they must have done some bodywork too?
They offer 3 levels of paint quality - I went with the mid-level with "integrated clear coat". No body work, no jambs, no under-hood. Price seemed reasonable, still sorting out a few issues (cracked windshield which they're replacing, wiper arms swapped which windshield guy will fix, misc paint on all of the utility fittings on the driver's side, reinstall Fiamma awning, reinstall non-skid on running board & steps).

Bill

pfflyer

Looks good. I think it is worth it. When they replace the windshield have them check for rust and repair/paint any issues there.

wrpeterson

2003 GS Vista Cruiser
"They" is going to be Safelite (they replaced the last one a year ago - caught a chunk of ice off the top of a tractor trailer) - Maaco already credited my credit card for the cost of the replacement.

Bill

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
Then take it out yourself, have any repairs done, if needed, before safelite comes out for the install.

flman

I paid Maaco $2500 for a long and tall 158, included stripping the hood, and getting the doors in working order. Of course in NY everything costs more thanks the the Cuomo dynasty.

wrpeterson

2003 GS Vista Cruiser
My 158 long and tall was actually in great shape (knock wood) - a former Virgina van before coming up to the NE in 2014. No rust topside or below and only 50k on the clock when I got him last year.

Bill

flman

My 158 long and tall was actually in great shape (knock wood) - a former Virgina van before coming up to the NE in 2014. No rust topside or below and only 50k on the clock when I got him last year.

Bill
Same here, 2006 Florida van, paint was dull and one year of NY salt would have turned it into a rust bucket.

lindenengineering

Same here, 2006 Florida van, paint was dull and one year of NY salt would have turned it into a rust bucket.
That why Uncle Dennis specifies Dupont Imron and a Waxoil injection.
But a darn sight more expensive than a Maaco blow job!
Nevertheless doesn't look bad for a cheapy!

http://www2.dupont.com/Coating_Solutions/en_US/assets/downloads/E-R4614_Imron_Elite_Brochure_E.pdf

http://www.waxoyl-usa.com/Products.aspx?code=WAX-001&key=cat
and Rovers North will sell it to DIY'rs.

Dennis

Top Bottom