Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   NCV3 Talk (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Heated Seat Wiring (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74837)

smurph 03-31-2019 12:12 AM

Heated Seat Wiring

3 Attachment(s)
So I swapped out my 2013 non-heated seats for a pair of 2015 heated seats.

There is a blue wire and brown wire for both seat and back rest.

The person I got the seats from gave me a wiring harness from a pair of Scheel-Mann seats and the harness and switch/relay looks great and should do the trick.

I connected the seats as per my diagram and I had power on low and the light on the switch turned on. When I switched to high, I heard the click and blew both the 15 amp fuse from the harness as well as the 10 amp fuse from the ‘ignition on’ post under the seat. I replaced both and went to try the passenger side harness as I haven’t connected it to a seat yet and nothing lights up or turns on. I’ll assume I fried both relays in the switch harness.

I know there are two wires entering from the harness to seat and from harness to backrest. Perhaps i'm using the ground/brown wire incorrectly. Perhaps the brown is part of the circuit and not to be grounded? Maybe I should just take the black from the switch and ground to chassis again. Then connect the 4 wires from the seat to the remaining 4 wires from the switch and relay.

Any suggestions from wiring gurus out there? I spoke to two red seal electricians here and neither had any clue. Mind you they deal with more commercial endeavours.

Cheers!

autostaretx 03-31-2019 12:51 AM

Re: Heated Seat Wiring

The way the high/low heat system usually works is to hook up the seats in parallel for "high", and series for "low".

I'll have to dig up which relay terminal does what, but the way you have your "as i wired it" drawn, you can't get there from here.
(that sideways black U-shaped wire between the two red wire prevents it)

Gimme a bit...

--dick

smurph 03-31-2019 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autostaretx (Post 755692)
The way the high/low heat system usually works is to hook up the seats in parallel for "high", and series for "low".

I'll have to dig up which relay terminal does what, but the way you have your "as i wired it" drawn, you can't get there from here.
(that sideways black U-shaped wire between the two red wire prevents it)

Gimme a bit...

--dick

Thank you Dick! I am in your debt. That loop wire is one of the reasons i've held off so long doing this install. It was there from Scheel-Mann but it seems like a reason for it to trip - hot/hot.

Next time i'm in Seattle - we're going for dinner!

autostaretx 03-31-2019 01:10 AM

The REAL problem appears to be that you have the relay short-circuiting + to - .
When 86/85 is powered up, 30 connects to 87 ... Zap!

Gimme a bit longer (since i haven't followed the rest of the "logic"...)
(added a few seconds later ... no, that ain't it... )((maybe))

--dick

smurph 03-31-2019 01:12 AM

Sounds good. I have no idea why they wired it that way. Thatís how they were in the package.

Thanks again.

autostaretx 03-31-2019 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As far as i can tell (since i have no solid idea what the switch contacts are), this appears to be what you have:

Attachment 110232

What you want will take longer to draw, and may not be achievable with what you've got
(maybe).

--dick

autostaretx 03-31-2019 02:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's how MB does it ... they use a double pole, double throw (center off) switch:

Attachment 110233

No relay is involved (there's one supplying the power feed, but it's independent of seat switching)

--dick

smurph 03-31-2019 02:40 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write that out. Much appreciated.

I removed the seat. I cut that loop wire. The switch works - supplying power when on low and on high to the two different wires. I'll play with the seat wiring tomorrow and see what happens (without the loop). I have lots of spare fuses :).

autostaretx 03-31-2019 02:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's how it should be built:

Attachment 110235

--dick

smurph 03-31-2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autostaretx (Post 755723)
Here's how it should be built:

Attachment 110235

--dick

Excellent! Thank you! I'll give it a whirl. I love these forums.

If you ever need an answer regarding anything house or motorcycle related, don't hesitate to call!