Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   T1N Talk (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Traction/ABS engaging around slow (especially left) turns (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52277)

Pnwsquid 12-05-2016 02:06 AM

Traction/ABS engaging around slow (especially left) turns

This has been a minor issue I have been putting of for awhile on my 2004 T1N.

The issue:

Around slow turns, more frequently left turns, I have having what feels like the left front ABS kicking in. Most noticeable when lightly accelerating, it happens if I'm braking or coasting just the same. It seems to take at least a 90* turn, below 30mph or so to replicate the problem.

I do have an icarsoft and all of the speed sensors are all reading very similar speeds while moving, so I can confirm function. I also checked the steering angle calibration and it seems accurate to the position of the wheel.

Could this be an air gap issue on the tone ring?

Maybe unrelated, maybe related, I have had the ESP, ABS and rotation lights all come on twice in the last several months and did replace the brake switch. These lights came on once after the new switch was installed so it's possible it is actually related the actually thread topic, but I also had LED bulbs in the tail light and replaced them with the standard filament bulbs as I have heard they can cause similar gremlins - jury is out on that one.

Any input on this slow speed ABS/speed sensor issue?

lindenengineering 12-05-2016 06:43 AM

Re: Traction/ABS engaging around slow (especially left) turns

Check ABS sensor air gaps and/ or excessive wheel bearing slop.
Dennis

autostaretx 12-05-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

..having what feels like the left front ABS kicking in.
Does the dashboard yellow triangle light up?

(mine does this very very rarely (once per 3 years?)...
... and only on very slow right turns, usually with the front wheel dropping into a depressed sewer cover)
((yes, my dash triangle does light up, then goes out))
But my van does not automagically try to brake a wheel.

--dick

Midwestdrifter 12-07-2016 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindenengineering (Post 507959)
Check ABS sensor air gaps and/ or excessive wheel bearing slop.
Dennis

This. If your tone ring gap is marginal, and extra loading from the turn will make it large enough to trigger the ESP or ABS.

A bearing with lots of play will also cause this type of condition.

I had a similar issue on my Jetta with the ABS. It turned out to be a loose socket on the wheel speed sensor. It was flaky, but only enough to show up at low speeds. The Sprinter doesn't have a socket at the wheel like the Jetta does, but the effect is the same.