Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Winnebago / Itasca (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Practical Use of a Battery Monitor (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29316)

TJLee089 10-25-2013 01:54 AM

Practical Use of a Battery Monitor

1 Attachment(s)
I recently installed a Victron BMV 600S Battery Monitor and in the process learned a lot about shunt-based battery monitors. I hope the attached paper will be of some value. Any comments are welcome.

autostaretx 10-25-2013 03:00 AM

Re: Practical Use of a Battery Monitor

Wonderful... the empirical determination of battery capacity alone was worth the price of admission...

How quaint that NAPA doesn't provide the fundamental parameter of capacity (ampere hours).

thanks
--dick

daveflack 10-26-2013 01:02 PM

I have used the Victron in another RV for 4 years and couldn't live without it. Just bought a Navion 08J and will install. Where did you place the monitor and how did you route the wiring?

TJLee089 10-26-2013 02:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Routing the signal cable between the shunt and the monitor is the only difficult and challenging part of the installation. I mounted the monitor with my other gauges. I drilled a 2 inch hole and had to enlarge it slightly. I didn't use the included bezel. See attached photos.

To run the signal cable, I removed as many of the panels and drawers as possible along the cable path. I dropped a string with a weight from near the monitor location and used it as a cable puller. I drilled one hole through the floor of the van, which was concealed by a removable cabinet floor. I used flexible plastic conduit between this hole and the battery compartment and sealed the floor hole.

Spend the time to plan your route carefully. I spent the better part of a day on this and am pleased with the result.

I still think the Victron is the best choice because the signal cable is included and is modular. The only thing you will need to provide is the short battery cable between the battery and the shunt. Be sure to use a cable size that is no smaller than your existing negative battery cable. It is unlikely you will find what you need off-the-shelf at an auto store. Have a repair shop make it for you.

Thanks for your interest and GOOD LUCK!

NBB 10-26-2013 03:08 PM

The cable on the left of the shunt looks pretty small - inadequate - compared to the other cables being used around the battery. The current traveling through all of them is the same, they should all be the same gauge.

autostaretx 10-26-2013 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, i give up... What's that thing? (white arrow)
It looks like another shunt inserted in the positive cable run?
(i suppose it could be a fuse...)

Attachment 55259

--dick

icarus 10-26-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBB (Post 265093)
The cable on the left of the shunt looks pretty small - inadequate - compared to the other cables being used around the battery. The current traveling through all of them is the same, they should all be the same gauge.

Not quite.

The signal cable from the shunt will carry ~1/100 or less of the shunt current, hence the reason to use a shunt in the first place.

Dick,

I'm guessing it is a fuse.

Icarus

TJLee089 10-26-2013 08:13 PM

"The cable on the left of the shunt looks pretty small - inadequate - compared to the other cables being used around the battery. The current traveling through all of them is the same, they should all be the same gauge."

The cable you are referring to (left side of shunt) is the OEM 1 gauge cable, as are all other OEM cables. If it is too small, you know more than the motorhome design engineers. The cable I added (right side of shunt) is 2/0 gauge, two sizes larger. That's what my neighbor/mechanic had available.

Never judge a book by its cover.

TJLee089 10-26-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autostaretx (Post 265098)
OK, i give up... What's that thing? (white arrow)
It looks like another shunt inserted in the positive cable run?
(i suppose it could be a fuse...)

Attachment 55259

--dick

It's OEM. I'm not really sure what it is. A fuse to prevent the cable from overheating seems to be a good guess.

Oldfartt 10-27-2013 01:28 AM

To help equalize the current through the two batteries, the new negative cable should be connected to the left battery, not the right hand battery.
The device in question is undoubtedly a Fuse. It is there to protect the wiring and is in the right place, close to the battery terminals.
Cheers

Ross