Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Winnebago / Itasca (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Practical Use of a Battery Monitor (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29316)

rollerbearing 10-16-2018 03:02 PM

Re: Practical Use of a Battery Monitor

From my recall (which may be imperfect) the NAPA 8240 is made bby DEKA/East Penn.

It is actually a dual purpose deep cycle / starting battery. Not the best option for long cycle life or capacity. Per the spec sheet it has a capacity 65AH at the 20 hour rate.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...10-17_FULL.pdf

SAMs carries this same battery as a Duracell brand. SAMs also offers the Duracell deep cycle version (not the dual purpose) for a little more money and it has 75 AH capacity. It too can be seen in the Deka pdf above.

TJLee089 10-16-2018 03:18 PM

As I recall, when this fuse blew, I lost all DC power and had to abort my trip. You are correct that if the inverter is on and the main DC switch is off, the inverter will remain on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerbearing (Post 699910)
If you look, that fused cable only goes to the inverter.

http://m.littelfuse.com/products/fus...nn/cnn150.aspx

The house cable is a separate cable from the inverter cable.

And an important point to know is that the house isolation relay does NOT disable this inverter cable.

rollerbearing 10-16-2018 03:34 PM

Not sure about what scenario occurred that you lost all 12vdc - house included. Must have been something big.

However, that fuse is only for the inverter cable. If you remove that fuse (or the cable for that matter) you will still have house DC.

This is important to know when tracking down unexpected battery discharge. It is also important to know that turning off the house relay will not de-energize the inverter cables if someone is working on or around the inverter. And for best winter storage (assuming no tender) one should consider disconnecting ground versus relying completely on the house disconnect (I am speaking solely for recent Winbago units).

rollerbearing 10-16-2018 03:46 PM

At some point Winbago re-did the wiring from above posted PDF - the house positive and inverter positive are connected to the same battery lug. The gound is connected to the negative lug of the OTHER battery. Achieving better balancing as mentioned.

So yes this appears to be their standard now.

Post Script - I went to check this and that is NOT how it is indicated in their diagrams (still). It is however, how I received mine from the factory. So - who knows - maybe they are doing it and haven't updated their drawings yet - I seem to remember photos of other recent Winbagos with this balanced wiring here on the forum.

Post Post Script - Well.... they have update SOME drawings. Went looking at the other models and found this:

https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_180920.pdf

It is showing how my unit arrived from the factory.

If anyone has the old wiring and they are 100% comfortable changing their battery cables around they should think about doing this.

Post Post Post Script - diagram still not right (upon closer inspection). Winbago all over the map on this. Will keep looking for their correct diagram or will post photo.

TJLee089 10-16-2018 03:55 PM

Perhaps the fact that I replaced the OEM inverter with an inverter/charger had something to do with it, but I definitely know what happened - the fuse blew and I lost all DC power. I replaced the fuse and all went back to normal. It never happened again.

I also know that disconnecting the main DC switch turns off all loads (assuming the inverter is already off) and works just fine for storing my rig all Winter. No need to disconnect the ground. I've done this for 5 years, never an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerbearing (Post 699933)
Not sure about what scenario occurred that you lost all 12vdc - house included. Must have been something big.

However, that fuse is only for the inverter cable. If you remove that fuse (or the cable for that matter) you will still have house DC.

This is important to know when tracking down unexpected battery discharge. It is also important to know that turning off the house relay will not de-energize the inverter cables if someone is working on or around the inverter. And for best winter storage (assuming no tender) one should consider disconnecting ground versus relying completely on the house disconnect (I am speaking solely for recent Winbago units).

rollerbearing 10-16-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLee089 (Post 699944)
Perhaps the fact that I replaced the OEM inverter with an inverter/charger had something to do with it, but I definitely know what happened - the fuse blew and I lost all DC power. I replaced the fuse and all went back to normal. It never happened again.

I also know that disconnecting the main DC switch turns off all loads (assuming the inverter is already off) and works just fine for storing my rig all Winter. No need to disconnect the ground. I've done this for 5 years, never an issue.

Ah yes - that could very well explain it - changing the OEM inverter - to an inverter/charger.

As far as winter storage - yes generally that does work (to turn off the house switch). However, if you have electrical defects in the inverter - you very well can run down the battery even with the inverter "off". My OEM inverter developed an issue where the fan ran constantly regardless of the inverter being powered (enabled is a better description because it is always at some level powered). Had I left it like this during the winter the battery probably would have frozen. An unlikely event for most people to be sure but a possibility nonetheless.

rollerbearing 10-16-2018 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Balanced cabling. This is how it came from Winbago although not reflected in any of their wiring diagrams. Maybe it's "official" maybe it isn't.

Corrosion was cleaned up - but reappeared under holddown's vinyl coating. They will soon be stripped and appropriately recoated.