Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Interstate (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Hello - Currently Looking for Twin Bed Model (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47898)

nvestysly 06-04-2016 02:12 AM

Hello - Currently Looking for Twin Bed Model

Hello Everyone,

I looked for a member introduction sub-forum or thread but didn't see one. If the moderator(s) want to move this thread that's okay with me.

My wife and I currently own an Airstream travel trailer and we recently sold a Class B Airstream 190 (a.k.a. B-190). We really enjoyed our B-190 but it was not the Class B for us. We realize we want a Class B Airstream that is (or can be) configured for twin beds.

We have quite a bit to learn about Airstream B vans. We understand the B-190 models but joined this forum to understand the Westfalia, Parkway and Interstate models. The little we know at this point leads us to late model Interstates based on the 3500 chassis but I have to admit I don't fully understand all the floor plans, etc. available throughout the years.

In addition to this introduction let me go ahead and throw out a topic...

We want a van with only a driver and passenger seat. We have no need to carry other people with us. We think if we only look at 2-seat vans rather than 3-seat or 4-seat vans that will lead us to floor plans that have more counter space, more drawers and cabinets, etc. We want rear twin beds - not fold out sofas or other "convertible" beds - actual twin beds albeit they are smaller than actual twin beds. It seems not many twin bed models have been produced even though the option is shown in brochures.

So that leads me to a second point...

Which Airstream Interstate models could be converted to a twin bed arrangement. I guess I can remove the rear lounge (?) seats and install twin beds. Am I on the right track?

Lots to learn. I realize I'm rambling a bit just don't understand which models are suitable for our wish list.

Thanks.

Boxster1971 06-05-2016 04:49 PM

Re: Hello - Currently Looking for Twin Bed Model

Head over to Airfourms - you might get more answers there.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

I converted my lounge to a U-shaped twin with little effort.

nvestysly 06-05-2016 07:19 PM

I appreciate the suggestion regarding Air Forums. I frequent that site for many Airstream issues and I certainly see some questions and answers related to Interstates. However, Interstates are such a small part of Air Forums that I hoped this site (sprinter-source) would be the "silver bullet" I was hoping to find regarding Sprinter related issues.

Each site has its advantages and disadvantages. I guess sprinter-source deals with so many other issues (and brands) it will not be the definitive place to address all matters related to Interstates.

Oh well, I'll keep poking around at this site, Air Forums and others to locate an Interstate for us and to solve problems and help other people solve their issues.

loren 06-11-2016 05:51 PM

Have a 2006 Airstream Interstate 22' high roof, rear twin bed driver & passenger seats only. Excellent condition, 40,000 miles.

nvestysly 06-13-2016 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loren (Post 464844)
Have a 2006 Airstream Interstate 22' high roof, rear twin bed driver & passenger seats only. Excellent condition, 40,000 miles.

I sent a private message asking for more details. Thanks.

nvestysly 07-07-2016 12:54 AM

My wife and I spoke to a gentleman at the 2016 WBCCI International Rally in Lewisburg, WV regarding his 2016 twin bed model.

Like us, he was frustrated that he wasn't able to find many twin bed units on the market. He decided to order his. It was a good choice for him but too pricey for us at this point in our lives.

I'll keep looking for a good used unit with twin beds.

Boxster1971 07-07-2016 04:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After we used our Lounge model for a few years we realized that a twin bed layout would work much better for getting out of bed in the middle of the night. So I modified the rear seats a bit to make a U-shaped twin bed layout like found in the bow of a sail boat. I just removed the side seat jack-knife frames and replaced just the side seat bottoms on a simple aluminum frame hinged on the back. Its not optimal but works well for us and retains the ability to seat three more in seat belts on the rear lounge seat - something we use a lot. Here are some photos to explain what I did.

If you don't mind having your feet cramped into a small space you could just leave the side seats as is and do the same thing. Just need to remove the end cover on the side seats, a simple two bolt task.

nvestysly 07-13-2016 02:30 AM

Thank you for the pictures.

We are maintaining an open mind... Hoping to find a twin bed model but realizing we're more likely to find a lounge model. With a bit of creative woodworking I think we can remove the existing lounge seats and replace them with suitable twin beds.

nvestysly 07-30-2016 07:55 PM

I contacted a dealer that has a 2016 Gran Tour w/twin beds in stock. The unit is new but is last years model as the 2017's are beginning to be delivered at this point.

The MSRP is $158k and the dealer is willing to accept $128k. That's a 19% discount and doesn't seem like a sufficient price reduction considering it's a model year old already.

Any thoughts?

Boxster1971 07-30-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvestysly (Post 475552)
I contacted a dealer that has a 2016 Gran Tour w/twin beds in stock. The unit is new but is last years model as the 2017's are beginning to be delivered at this point.

The MSRP is $158k and the dealer is willing to accept $128k. That's a 19% discount and doesn't seem like a sufficient price reduction considering it's a model year old already.

Any thoughts?

I would consider 19% off MSRP to be a fair deal. But the choice is yours.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long