Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Competition (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)? (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77229)

Jazzbones 06-28-2019 02:09 AM

Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)?

My mechanic did some research and suggested that I'd be better off getting a Nissan, given lower repair/parts costs over time. (I did the math re cost v mileage, and concluded that the sprinter's lower fuel costs quickly offset the difference in cost, but that didn't factor in differences in repair costs.)

I like driving the sprinter better, and it seems to have a bit more room?
But have heard that the Nissan is easier to convert to a camper because of the vertical side walls...

Any thoughts of observations (re costs or other factors to consider) from those who are familiar with both would be greatly appreciated- thanks :-)

Onefin 06-28-2019 02:15 AM

Re: Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)?

I’d get a transit over a Nissan

Jazzbones 06-28-2019 02:24 AM

You know, I drove a transit a couple of years ago, and the seat just didn't work for me :-(

Onefin 06-28-2019 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzbones (Post 781634)
You know, I drove a transit a couple of years ago, and the seat just didn't work for me :-(

I donít like the transit cockpit and ergonomics much in my limited experience driving them. Thatís just IMHO and all that.....people that like them like them.

Maybe look into a promaster?

Not that many people convert Nissan in comparison to transit, PM and sprinter...unsubstantiated guess: itís really ugly and Nissans in general arenít that popular like Toyotas.

Jazzbones 06-28-2019 08:06 PM

Thanks Onefin (does that make you a shark?)

I did consider the promaster, but it has a pretty dismal reputation as far as needing a lot of repair and not holding up well over time. That new vw that was introduced in europe recently looks pretty sweet- but I don;t think I want to wait for them to maybe bring it over here.

I agree- the nissan is kinda an ugly duckling

danski0224 06-28-2019 10:03 PM

I like the looks of the low roof version Nissan.

I have heard that the gas mileage is spectacularly bad.

asimba2 06-29-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzbones (Post 781908)
Thanks Onefin (does that make you a shark?)

I did consider the promaster, but it has a pretty dismal reputation as far as needing a lot of repair and not holding up well over time.

I agree- the nissan is kinda an ugly duckling

Yeah, skip the Promaster. Too many problems.

I think the NV is worth considering. It's ugly, but so is the Promaster; Transit too in some configurations. Given the problems I've seen on the Transit forums, it seems like the NV's might be a little better sorted. I'm sure the Transits will get there with time, like the NV.

Bobnoxious 06-29-2019 06:00 AM

My brother-in-law rented a Transit and I gave it a cursory inspection, and found a leak in the anti-freeze reservoir, areas not painted common to rear door hinges and cockpit was way more confining.

I would never buy a post 1969 American automobile, and totally agree with your mechanic. Buy the Nissan.

The Grand Tour 06-29-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

I did the math re cost v mileage, and concluded that the sprinter's lower fuel costs quickly offset the difference in cost...
If you attended public schools, I'd like to file felony theft charges for my tax dollars.

You will NEVER make back the additional expense of purchasing a Mercedes with a diesel.

The Grand Tour 06-29-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danski0224 (Post 781931)
...Nissan.

I have heard that the gas mileage is spectacularly bad.

So what? Who cares?