roof/ceiling fasteners.

Mrdi

Designing the roof/ceiling interior in my 2008 144 hi Cargo. Will fasten a cloth covered 1/8'? plywood liner into the cross members and was wondering if there

are plastic fasteners that fit into the existing holes in the cross roof members?

The existing holes in the ceiling cross members are 2 different metric sizes and I hate to drill more holes.
Existing hole sizes are: 8.5mm 12.5mm 16mm 16mm
A link would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
What is the liner? Hard or soft material?

I used sheet metal screws and fender washers to hold the 1/8" masonite to the roof of my 2005. The 2003 has a metal roof and has rivits.

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
Designing the roof/ceiling interior in my 2008 144 hi Cargo. Will fasten a cloth covered plywood liner into the cross members and was wondering if there

are plastic fasteners that fit into the existing holes in the cross roof members?

The existing holes in the ceiling cross members are 2 different metric sizes and I hate to drill more holes.
A link would be helpful.

Thanks
Hopefully the plywood used is 3/8" thick or thinner for an easy bend application. IMO, use self tapping metal screws (large head) to fasten the cloth covered ply to ceiling. Keep the spacing of screws in a uniform pattern, then after the ceiling panels are installed cover the screws with Fasnap Colored Snap Buttons...:thumbup:

http://www.perfectfit.com/15588/154456/Fasnap-Brand-Fasteners/Fasnap-Colored-Snap-Buttons.html

I am contemplating doing the ceiling and walls of my 07 long/high in panels that follow the major structural sections of the van, so that I can remove a panel if I need to get into the wall or ceiling for additional mods, wiring, etc. This would leave me with ~5' x ~3' panels. I would like to use the recessed, predrilled holes in the interior sheet metal. I have located some steel rivet nuts through Graingers that are .375 OD. They are for 1/4-20 thread screws. The predrilled, recessed holes in the walls and ceiling are .341, so would require opening with a 3/8" drill. I have yet to locate any rivet nuts with the right grip range that would work in the holes without opening them up a bit, or the rivet nuts being so undersize that they might pull out. The previous owner did a "redneck engineering" job by screwing concrete forming grade plywood to the walls with huge self tapping sheet metal screws. After removing the previous materials, I have swabbed these leftover holes with rustoleum paint to forestall the corrosion.

Anyone else done such a thing, or have any input into this method?

Attachments

I used rivet nuts, and I think they are the way forward. They fit *tightly* into the pre-drilled holes, and, once installed, you can reuse the holes again and again without stripping them. Saves on having to drill new holes. One nice feature of the existing holes is that they are slightly recessed, thereby hiding the flange of the rivet nut and allowing for a totally flush installation. Here's my ceiling installed with rivet nuts.

Mrdi

Jim did you find rivnuts to fit the existing holes w/o drilling?
Please post some more pics

Thanks

Last edited:

nebep

Mrdi,

Take a look at Napa for their thread setter kit. It's basically a
rivet gun that inserts threaded sleeves. Works wonders.

I'll see if I can get a part number for ya when I get back to the homestead...

NBB

I wouldn't want to go through trying to align everything - panels, cabinets, someone else's holes, etc. I used aveco trim panel fasteners. The heads are black with a built in recessed washer. They are made for the job and have been used in millions of stock vehicles. They look fine. They take a few seconds each to install. Hand tighten the last few turns and you won't strip anything.

Mrdi

I wouldn't want to go through trying to align everything - panels, cabinets, someone else's holes, etc. I used aveco trim panel fasteners. The heads are black with a built in recessed washer. They are made for the job and have been used in millions of stock vehicles. They look fine. They take a few seconds each to install. Hand tighten the last few turns and you won't strip anything.
Thank NBB
Do you have a link to what you used in your Sprinter roof?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Another threaded fastener is the "Plus-Nut"... similar to a Rivnut, but with a broader face and fluted slots which will expand as the bolt (or insertion tool) is tightened down. Much better for sheet-metal as the support material.

I used them for my own Sprinter mods, and the 1/4x20 did fit through many of the Sprinter's pre-drilled holes.
They'll easily fit into a 3/8ths hole, and can be convinced to go through a 11/32nds (0.343).

My mods: http://rseymour.home.wolfenet.com/sprinter

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom