Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Solar panel choice, considering these (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76244)

Napabavarian 05-21-2019 10:10 PM

Solar panel choice, considering these
 
I haven't contacted the seller, but these could be interesting, they have others I may consider, and I may be able to pick up in person to avoid shipping

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382631332179

I wan considering 2 kept inside, I could set them out when I stay in the same place for a few days, for the most part I don't have a huge solar need, but it would allow me to stay put for a while and 600w is far more than I need, thus they wouldn't need to be out all the time

bobmac 05-21-2019 10:17 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
They look good Napa but you may find putting them out and back is a nuisance. I was going to do that with my Troopie so I could park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. Did that one day and then mounted it permanently above the windscreen. And that gave me good sun shading on the dash.

I would suggest roof mounting. Just my $0.02 worth.
Bob M 2002 MWB 4x4 and 2003 long and talls

Napabavarian 05-21-2019 10:32 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
I may go that way, and a single panel.

I was looking at this charge controller

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...02194930&psc=1

marklg 05-21-2019 10:54 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmac (Post 770041)
They look good Napa but you may find putting them out and back is a nuisance. I was going to do that with my Troopie so I could park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. Did that one day and then mounted it permanently above the windscreen. And that gave me good sun shading on the dash.

I would suggest roof mounting. Just my $0.02 worth.
Bob M 2002 MWB 4x4 and 2003 long and talls

I'm doing both, some on the roof and I have the flexible ones in the back that I can set out. They are way lighter and easier to move.

Regards,

Mark

Graphite Dave 05-21-2019 11:04 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napabavarian (Post 770050)
I may go that way, and a single panel.

I was looking at this charge controller

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...02194930&psc=1

10 amp controller is not enough for 300 watt panel if 10 amps is the output from the MPPT. You need minimum of 15 amps.
9.0 amps x 32.9 volts = 21 amps x 14 volts (approx. charging voltage). The MPPT takes low amperage/high voltage panel output and converts it to high amperage/low voltage. Actual panel max. output probably about 75% of panel rating due to heat and flat install.

Napabavarian 05-21-2019 11:28 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphite Dave (Post 770064)
10 amp controller is not enough for 300 watt panel if 10 amps is the output from the MPPT. You need minimum of 15 amps.
9.0 amps x 32.9 volts = 21 amps x 14 volts (approx. charging voltage). The MPPT takes low amperage/high voltage panel output and converts it to high amperage/low voltage. Actual panel max. output probably about 75% of panel rating due to heat and flat install.

Thanks, sounds like I may need a bit more to be safe


What is the difference between the blue solar charger and the smart solar charger?

Napabavarian 05-22-2019 02:59 AM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
I plan to stop in there to pick one or two up Thursday or Friday, probably Friday, then I'll head down through Nevada and probably across 50 back to Napa, just incase someone needs some solar

hein 05-23-2019 04:19 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napabavarian (Post 770132)
I plan to stop in there to pick one or two up Thursday or Friday, probably Friday, then I'll head down through Nevada and probably across 50 back to Napa, just incase someone needs some solar

If you have time you could swing through Hood River, OR and we can set you up with a mounting system for your panel. 1512 Osprey Drive, Hood River, OR, 97031. No sales tax here.

Here is the layout we would suggest:
https://www.impact3d.com/144_front_v...ars_2lbars.pdf

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

143paul 05-23-2019 04:54 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hein (Post 770510)
If you have time you could swing through Hood River, OR and we can set you up with a mounting system for your panel. 1512 Osprey Drive, Hood River, OR, 97031. No sales tax here.

Here is the layout we would suggest:
https://www.impact3d.com/144_front_v...ars_2lbars.pdf

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan


This is the exact set-up I used on my system (also with one 300W pannel) - it has worked perfectly.

I run my Dometic fridge, the fan, and electronics and I have never had a problem - it has been about 6 months and 6,000 mi of use.

bcman 05-23-2019 05:08 PM

Re: Solar panel choice, considering these
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napabavarian (Post 770073)
What is the difference between the blue solar charger and the smart solar charger?

The SmartSolar series is the same as the BlueSolar, with the addition of a bluetooth connection. You can reprogram your charge points and monitor your charge status from a smartphone.

I got the BlueSolar 100/30 for my single 320W panel, and a separate bluetooth dongle (they didn't make the SmartSolar yet). I've been very happy with it. The Android app is very easy to navigate.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.