Pet Peeves with your Sprinter

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I know the Sprinter is a great vehicle, but like anything it's not perfect. So what are you pet peeves?

I'll list the ones that I can think of now.

1. Side mirrors that vibrate.
2. Sun shade that doesn't swing out.
3. Can't restart the engine without going to the key ignition "0" position.
4. The passenger window switch "light" goes out when the window is rolled up using the driver's side switch.
5. The famous transmission RSN (Rumble Strip Noise). Mine happens consistently at 20mph.

:D Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I know the Sprinter is a great vehicle, but like anything it's not perfect. So what are you pet peeves?

I'll list the ones that I can think of now.

1. Side mirrors that vibrate.
Mine don't vibrate, plastic
2. Sun shade that doesn't swing out.
Side windows optioned for 95% UV block-out
Optioned full tint wind deflectors, cool unit
3. Can't restart the engine without going to the key ignition "0" position.
Agree it's a pain
4. The passenger window switch "light" goes out when the window is rolled up using the driver's side switch.
Gave the electric windows the flick for manual
5. The famous transmission RSN (Rumble Strip Noise). Mine happens consistently at 20mph.
Manual no issues:thumbup:
Instrument cluster (day time viewing) has the worst lighting arrangement I have ever seen, on any vehicle.
New one no problemo', even if your half blind.

:D Seek
But one thing that does bug me is how the dam thing jumps about like a Kangaroo when it's empty, need pump up shocks:thumbup:
In all honesty It has been the best of at least twenty new units I have owned since 1972, The Sprinter is not perfect! But the new one 2006-2007 is awesome. Your in heaven with a 2003 C Class Mercedes, Soooooooo quite, the engine sound from the V6 has the unique Mercedes rumble at 160 KLM the magic ton.
Trade them in for the experience of a lifetime, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt! when you blow away all opposition in a Mercedes-Benz:tongue:
Richard
sprinterlightsmx4.jpg

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Compilation of Pet Peeves from YahooSprinterVan

9.5 quarts
Now what are you going to do with that last pint of motor oil? Most dealers just dump it in!
15" wheels
Something so big equipped with tires that are so small? Fine in EU with lots of tire suppliers. But what was DC thinking for the US market?
ASSYST reset
Put your hands through the steering wheel while turning the key to exactly position 2 or 0 while counting to ten or it chimes. Oh, you screwed up? Too bad, back to default.
Anonymous
A Freightliner Sprinter that loses its "Freightliner" emblem. As the time for Freightliner dropping Sprinters approaches, it seems old Freightliners are, in turn, shedding their Freightliner branding, leaving 5 or 6 dots of construction adhesive visible. Probably related to "Orphan" Sprinter syndrome (see below)
Are you a Bosch, ATE or Teves Sprinter? Most automobile manufacturers purchase parts and assemblies from others. DC is no different. But the manufacturers usually require the supplied parts be interchangeable. Not so with Mercedes. Sprinter brakes as supplied by at least three different suppliers, each using a different brake pad design that are not interchangeable. Crawl under the van and look at the front and rear brakes for the stamp. Must take off the wheel for the front. Information is not in the VIN records.
Buzz-buzz
Must be the electric door locks on the fritz again because of a bump in the road, an oversensitive control card, or just for the heck of it.
Clock
Good German time chips are so much superior to those cheap Asian ones. Who cares about a little loss in time? Don't you have a Seiko to keep your appointments by?
Dodge
Management suffers from "not invented here" syndrome; they can't figure out why people flip out of the RAM 3500.
Driver's side bracket
Now what in the world is that thing for anyway? At least it has a part number in case you need to replace it!
Driver's side cup holders
Put your head below the level of the dashboard while reaching for the cup in the cupholder
Driving south in the morning; driving north in the evening Get an eyeful of sun as the visor doesn't rotate to the left
Dualee's 42" clearance
US standard is 48" minimum clearance between wheel wells. Was DC trying to maintain the Sprinter's lean and svelte profile?
External Air Filter Air Mass Sensor Maybe it works when the van is running at 2300 rpm and 70mph. Just open the hood and see!
Find the switch Must be hiding behind the shifter or the stearing wheel
Freightliner
Pity the Sprinter Freightliner dealer - promised the Sprinter to make up for massive losses when DC's big-rig marketing strategy back-fired, at the cost of million or so per dealer and two computer system changes [first to Mercedes, then to Dodge], only to have all the 2001 and most of the 2002 inventory sold out from under them by DC to FedEx and UPS, then 2003 Dodge takes more inventory away, and now Freightliner is to lose the whole Sprinter franchise to Dodge in 2006. No wonder car dealers have such a bad reputation!
Fresh air
Only filtered air is permitted to circulate inside a Sprinter. That is why no windows in the back open unless you order us to do it.
Fuel filter
Hard to tell that Mercedes has been doing this probably longer than any other manufacturer. An easy task as performed by most others; for the Sprinter unreasonably difficult. But, never fear, they came up with a partial solution - at 4 times the cost of the first try!
Ideographs
Forget Guttenburg and movable type - it is back to picture drawings to communicate. Now how would a German picture a driver's side lock?
Insulation
You mean insulation is intended to reduce heat transmission? And it can be used to deaden sound also? DC thinks it is just intended as filler to back up the liners! And you don't need much to do that job.
Key jamming
The sport of finding the location for the ignition in the dark, and jamming the key into the gap between the ignition switch and steering wheel cowling instead
Lazy fuel gauge
You only really need to know when the tank is nearing empty, and the gauge does a good job at that.
Mercedes - USA We have no association with something as low class as a van - or their customers.
Moveable seats
Certainly the seats are moveable - in and out. Why would anyone possibly want to move the seats to a different location within the van? Unimagineable.
Note clip
Great for the driver to practice multi-tasking, as the note clip is too far away to read any attached notes, too far away to reach, and needs two hands to operate.
One eyed Sprinter
Get that dashing pirate look when one or both headlights die. Headlights seem to have a short lifespan with Sprinters.
Orphan Sprinters
2001 through late 2003 Freightliner Sprinters, whose ECMs were not readable by Dodge dealers certified to service Sprinters. West Coast owners of these Orphan Sprinters didn't even have orphanages to go to, as there were no certified Freightliner or Dodge Sprinter dealers in California or Nevada for these years' Sprinters. [Note: Dodge now claims to have the equipment to read 2001-2003 Sprinters' ECUs.]
Now Freightliner is abandoning Sprinters end of 2021.

Ouch
The sound of someone getting a hernia moving the passenger seats in or out of the van!
Paper disposal Sprinter comes with its own waste paper disposer - just put any flat sheets of paper/maps in the lower door storage areas, and the paper will magically slip out of the slot coveniently provided at the bottom. [Fix with duct tape.]
Passenger's side cupholders Spread your legs to use these cupholders
Ping-ping
The sound of another chip on the hood for those without clear coat paint jobs or paint protection film
Rear passenger seat cup holders Who draws the unlucky straw and has to sit between a cup holder and its user?
Rumble Strip
No need to drive over a rumble strip to have that rumble strip feeling! Sprinters of all years have this feature built in as the electronic transmission in low load situations hunts for the optimal gear. DC denies the vibration exists or that there is a problem. No known cure. See YahooSprinterVan Post 23857 and thread.
Sergeant Shultz "I know nothing!!!" The response from DC at all levels with regard to long-term issues like tire valves, EGRs, and rumble strip vibration.
Shearing pulleys If in a 2005 at highway speeds, don't get clipped by shearing crankcase pulleys! (and hope it flies off in a downward direction!!!!)
Speedometer
We know that Big Brother is watching. So we programed the computer to make you think that you are going 3 mph faster than you really are so you won't get a ticket. Isn't that thoughtful of us?
Sprinter Watershed
That massive windshield and hi-top collects large quantities of rain and debris (especially in fall), all washing downhill into the hidden valley behind the hood. The valley floods, as there are only two small subterranean exits for the water, and they often clog, creating ponds for algea, protozoa, tadpoles and other swamp life to grow. See YahooSprinterVan Post 30196 for more.
Sprinter's Trailer lighting harness
A brillant electrical engineering feat that provides a complicated and costly solution to a simple problem
The Hump
The mole of a growth located on the back roof of a Sprinter that replaced the ineffective interior mount Bump AC in early models.
Transponder key range
The Sprinter is so big it blocks reception of its own transponder key when approached from the rear; from the front or side 20 feet on a good day
Vibrating driver's floor board Foot massage provided by 2004's vibrating fuel lines!
Washing
Invest in ladders and scaffolding to reach the top and roof. Or take the philosophy that what you can't see won't matter.
What is a lumbar support? It is the hand-squeezing balloon thing DC provides to give drivers and passengers tension relief. Certainly never works anything else in the seats.
Where is your transit?
NO, not the Ford Transit If you are low on fuel, better be traveling, parking on level ground, or near a diesel pump, or face the DREADED REPRIME.

Last edited:

chaozz

Key jamming
The sport of finding the location for the ignition in the dark, and jamming the key into the gap between the ignition switch and steering wheel cowling instead
Is this why my 06 comes with 2 spare key and tumblers
for the ignition.I asked the sales man he had no idea
and has always wondered why they where included.

those seats even with the so called luxury upgraded
seats my butt goes numb after 100 miles of driving.

soflo316

funny, my 06 came with 2 spare keys (4 electronic keys total) plus the 2 tumblers I found in the ashtray. I just assumed that they needed to fix a lock or something and left the old ones in there!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Sprinter's US Style!

Az DR Z
would say.

Gooday' Gueten Tag" depending on the time zone of day and the never never Guten Morgen or Gute Naught.
Or even as the French may say which is appropriate for the Sprinter "Good Moaning"
U'mmm. very interesting as SGT Schultz would remark But Dumb' from the sitcom Laugh in ,,, sock it to me here come D'e Judge.

You know i do feel for you guys and all the issues that The U.S.A Sprinter's have had.
Especially when the Aussie Sprinter's are almost 100% defect and trouble free since their introduction in 1998.
So I would say "ASK" the Famous DR Z! Why is it so:lol:
Questions and answers to popular topics for Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge including employee pricing plus incentive programs: AskDrZ.com
Richard
PS" Sock it to him, sock it to him, sock it to him.:yell:

chaozz

sent in a question about the key and tumblers
and the 3 mph error on all sprinters
which my 2006 has.
but i dont have those odd noises..
"well yet"

chaozz

sent in a question about the key and tumblers
and the 3 mph error on all sprinters
which my 2006 has.
but i dont have those odd noises..
"well yet"
oh this is good haha they replied already
Thanks for contacting Dr.Z. regarding your 2006 Dodge Sprinter. Your message has been forwarded to us for response.

The information you are seeking is unavailable from DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation. You may wish to consult with the service department of your local dealership.
ok you put the key and tumblers in my car and dont know why.
and for years the speedo is off by 3mph and that is to tough to
answer.

rvdriverca

The one's I love are, heater 3 knobs 4 switches and not one that will shut the dash air vents, I have since learned that you can set the cruise control tie of steering wheel and get up so you can close or open the far right one. the one speed intermittent wiper with the switch on the wrong side of the steering wheel. And taking about the steering wheel, I was wondering if more spokes can be added to the top part as that is the only place I can hold the wheel comfortably, and that is just plain wrong since they have screwed up the bottom so well. And finaly the head light switch that by magic changes to high beam when you make left turn and use the signal, I have trim my finger nails all the time for that one.

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Rumble Strip No need to drive over a rumble strip to have that rumble strip feeling! Sprinters of all years have this feature built in as the electronic transmission in low load situations hunts for the optimal gear. DC denies the vibration exists or that there is a problem. No known cure. See YahooSprinterVan Post 23857 and thread.
A possible fix...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626

...at least for me. :D

Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I have to admit My sprinter has never had any mechanically issues! Hum' touch the faux wood dash
Electric sensors No problem as Mine are in neutral:bounce:
Did push the interior light button one late night, and it went ping and dam it hit me square in the head, what a shock, Fix was simple,after I fumbled for the parts behind the roof lining, One bit was in the far back of the van, man when the light escapes from it's holding pattern,that light goes ballistic,"Fair Dinkum. I would not lie" But took a little bit to work out why the cig lighter and radio went out? reset the code replaced the fuse.
Book said the fuse was under the steering column! Which it was, but the sticker under the drivers side seat's main fuse panel said it was there too? which it wasn't.
seamless windows on the cargo van! good one , Ok it's an extra to install windows if required, so you get the seamless rubber seals, what annoys me is the Ford transit is a better design and the option for them is seamless seams no rubber! Well if the Ford can work that one out! OK it's only a cosmetic thing, then Why can't Mercedes! Do the same? as they cost ten grand more per unit.
Apart from that, I have no problems , to write about:thumbup:
Richard

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom

Speedometer
We know that Big Brother is watching. So we programed the computer to make you think that you are going 3 mph faster than you really are so you won't get a ticket. Isn't that thoughtful of us?

You know, after many hours of meditation and strenuous thought, I finally figured out why the speedometer registers the wrong speed: the darned stencil that paints the numbers on the dash is made wrong. All they have to do is to move the numbers just a little bit and the problem goes away.

chaozz

Speedometer

You know, after many hours of meditation and strenuous thought, I finally figured out why the speedometer registers the wrong speed: the darned stencil that paints the numbers on the dash is made wrong. All they have to do is to move the numbers just a little bit and the problem goes away.
that would cost millions to redo and would also cause someone
to think..
wont happen:tongue:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
that would cost millions to redo and would also cause someone
to think..
wont happen:tongue:
Quite true. I was thinking about future production. Sililarly, it would not be a simple task for an individual owner to dissamble the dash panel in order to repaint the numbers.

But, like the poster who suggested the speedo error was a scheme to help us keep to the limit, I offered the idea as a bit of humor.

mtnmasher

Worst remote key fob I've ever seen. Mercedes should be ashamed.

You can press the unlock button numerous times, and nothing happens. Then you press the lock button, and the doors UNLOCK!

In order to get the remote to behave properly, you've got to time your button presses exactly right, while ignoring the light on the remote.

The only thing the light on the remote means is that the battery in the remote isn't dead. It doesn't mean you've held the button down long enough. It doesn't mean the receiver has received the signal. It doesn't mean you've waited long enough between button presses.

This POS was designed by a complete idiot.

Top Bottom