Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventure (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo? (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15804)

OrioN 05-02-2011 09:19 PM

Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Resently (2+ years) Building the Dream replaced the Dream...

I need a break...



Buster & I climbed some rocks this weekend...


Anybody know this place?


:popcorn:


.

calbiker 05-02-2011 11:35 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Could be Moab. The Slickrock trail is right above, and Porcupine Rim Trail around the corner. Both are world famous. Done lots of mountainbiking there.

Waldo Lake isn't a bad bike ride either.

Cal

Krenovian 05-03-2011 06:41 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Colorado River below Moab on the Potash Rd. gets my vote. Great road for early season road rides. Minimal car traffic and flat for the most part without much climbing to stress my legs. Looks similar to the stretch of road along the Colorado above Moab that calbiker is referencing, but if I'm seeing things correctly the railroad bed above the road gives it away for me. Slickrock and Porcupine Rim are two of my favorite rides. Heading there on the 12th and 13th of May.

Curt

OrioN 05-03-2011 09:55 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krenovian (Post 134766)
Colorado River below Moab on the Potash Rd. gets my vote. Great road for early season road rides. Minimal car traffic and flat for the most part without much climbing to stress my legs. Looks similar to the stretch of road along the Colorado above Moab that calbiker is referencing, but if I'm seeing things correctly the railroad bed above the road gives it away for me. Slickrock and Porcupine Rim are two of my favorite rides. Heading there on the 12th and 13th of May.

Curt

:thumbup:

Bootlegger Canyon & Corona Arch trailhead.

The track (& larger lots) are the giveaway to which side of 191 the big bends are on.

I'm here through then... let's meet!!

PM me!


.

calbiker 05-03-2011 11:06 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Yeah, I didn't think my location was quite right.

Have fun in Moab. I'm envious.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/P1060466.jpg

OrioN 05-04-2011 02:50 AM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calbiker (Post 134787)
Yeah, I didn't think my location was quite right.

Have fun in Moab. I'm envious.

Now post a picture of what you and the bike looked like 10 miles later... :smilewink:

And... how many times did you walk the bike the last 0.5 miles? :D:

One time... I hooked up with shuttle partner for the run... he was so not in the zone/head space for the day... I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when he stalled and fell off the ledge and dropped down about 8 - 10ft, on the lower section around the 'walk the bike around the boulders or trash your frame' section. Fortunately he only bruised his ego, mind, spirit... yeah it was a good laugh and I think he lightened up a bit afterwards.

calbiker 05-04-2011 06:59 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Not quite 10 miles later but...

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/P1060463.jpg

I'm a pretty good climber. Didn't have to walk any (up hill). My technical skills aren't as good going down hill. Cracked a rib there 10 years ago. It was a very painful ride. I wasn't going to walk 15 miles back.

Cal

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrioN (Post 134812)
Now post a picture of what you and the bike looked like 10 miles later... :smilewink:


Krenovian 05-05-2011 05:08 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrioN (Post 134812)
And... how many times did you walk the bike the last 0.5 miles? :D:

I walk a lot in that last section. Don't want to be falling off into the canyon! Near the end where you drop down a steep section and cross the creek bed and then have to go back up a rock face which is about 4 feet high to get back on the single track I watched two guys make all the moves. My buddy and I were impressed by their skill and asked them if they could ride everything on the trail. They said yes, including the move up out of the creek bed. They were on bikes that looked like they had 8 inches of travel. Young dudes in there mid to late 20's.

Weird thing is they were impressed with us because we had done the trail on our XC bikes. They thought it was cool that we were riding PR "old school style" as they put it. They may also have been referencing our ages which are somewhere north of geezerdom. Moab is the only place I ride where I wish I had an AM or Freeride bike with lots of travel. I never really appreaciated that a big travel bike was good at climbing up over obstacles until I watched guys navigate some of the stuff on Porcupine Rim.

Curt

icarus 05-05-2011 05:21 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
To answer the original question,

Waldo is a town in north central Ohio!

Icarus

OrioN 05-05-2011 05:30 PM

Re: Where's Waldo? And... where IS Waldo?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by icarus (Post 135088)
To answer the original question,

Waldo is a town in north central Ohio!

Icarus

I'd be using the Roll-Eyes emoticon about this time... but sadly, he's too doped up.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.