Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Using a stupid amount of fuel (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73768)

kayakkingoz 02-21-2019 10:47 AM

Using a stupid amount of fuel

I just done a 1481 km trip & burnt 223 litres. WTF ?
Van seems to be running fine.
Can see a bit of smoke(in the mirror) in the headlights of vehicles behind at night but only when I accelerate on a hill. Cant see smoke in the daylight
Has 16" wheels
Van has a few parachutes hanging off it in the form of roof racks, twin fiamma awnings, & a sun visor which is a real wind catcher.
But really ? This much fuel?
I done a similar trip before xmas & thought I used a lot of fuel. I dont normally take much notice, Will be doing the same trip again next week.
Is there anything I should check before next weeks drive?
I have looked around the engine with a flashlight whilst running, trying to see fuel leaks but nothing obvious

Midwestdrifter 02-21-2019 03:25 PM

Re: Using a stupid amount of fuel

Any sign of leaks at the fuel tank or engine? The drain at the back of the injector valley is where fuel leaks would usually show. The sealing ring on the fuel tank sender unit can also leak a bit when full.

Go for a short drive, any of the brakes/hubs much hotter than the others?

Is it low on power?

What was your average speed? At 100kph my van usually averages around 12-13L/100km.

Any odd symptoms at idle? Surging, rough idle, pulsing exhaust?

Engine running hot at all?

If you have access to a scanner, verify that the MAP sensor reads correct with key-on engine off. Should be about 1Bar (100kpa) at see level. Verify the intake air temp sensor as well.

bobmac 02-21-2019 03:58 PM

I had injectors replaced in my 2002 last year and fuel consumption slowly rose to an astronomical figure. Sitting idling for a short time nothing was visible. Allowed to idle longer and fuel was visible dripping from the rear of the engine, but could not locate source. Turned out to be fittings from the common rail being 'tight, but not tight enough'. They were all leaking and flowing down the common rail and coming off the end. No visible fuel unless the vehicle sat running for several minutes.

Hope your problem is as simple.
Bob M, 2002 MWB 4x4 in Tasmania

kayakkingoz 02-21-2019 06:52 PM

Speed zone was mostly 110 kph. So I would have had cruise control set at 115 - 118. I drive by GPS speed as 16" wheels changed odometer reading , albeit to almost exact but slightly under reads above 100kph.
As stated in original post everything seems to be normal. Including temp.
I will drive it today & have a better look around the fuel system. Will check brake heat also . This van does not get that much use , Has only 55000 kms on the clock I have only put 15000 on it in a little over 3 years

Eric Experience 02-21-2019 10:34 PM

Kayak.
That consumption is about rite for the conditions. If you keep your speed down to less than 100 you should see an improvement. Eric.

Midwestdrifter 02-21-2019 11:02 PM

For reference, my mostly empty van, with solar on the roof, would get 10.9L/100km. This was pre conversion. It was repeatable over many tanks. The conditions were cruising on flat ground near sea level, and averaging 110kph per tank (95% highway driving). If I pushed up to 120kph it would drop to about 11.8l/100km

mcguyver 02-21-2019 11:49 PM

15l per 100klms does seem a bit excessive. No doubt that higher speed would contribute, but I wouldnt have thought it would be that high.

mcguyver 02-21-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter (Post 744427)
For reference, my mostly empty van, with solar on the roof, would get 10.9L/100km. This was pre conversion. It was repeatable over many tanks. The conditions were cruising on flat ground near sea level, and averaging 110kph per tank (95% highway driving). If I pushed up to 120kph it would drop to about 11.5l/100km

This is very similar to what I get

jaahn 02-22-2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakkingoz (Post 744304)
Speed zone was mostly 110 kph. So I would have had cruise control set at 115 - 118. I drive by GPS speed as 16" wheels changed odometer reading , albeit to almost exact but slightly under reads above 100kph.
As stated in original post everything seems to be normal. Including temp.
I will drive it today & have a better look around the fuel system. Will check brake heat also . This van does not get that much use , Has only 55000 kms on the clock I have only put 15000 on it in a little over 3 years

Hi :cry:
My suggestion would be to get out on the highway and go for it. Then when you stop park it somewhere on a flat hard surface and leave it idling and hot. Then walk around it and look underneath for evidence as well as the engine. I would also smell for fuel. I can smell diesel leaking at 20paces. If it is evaporating from the heat you will too. But probably there will be drips or worse on to the ground. It must be going somewhere if it is not burnt. If it is burning it, the black smoke will be obvious. But I have noticed that mine is much more obvious when following it in our car :thumbdown:
You can quickly check the brakes by coasting to a halt on a flat car park. Serious problems will be obvious.
Jaahn

owner 02-22-2019 01:20 AM

Are you saying you are doing 115-118kph on the GPS? If thats the case then I'd say theres your problem. Any speed above 100kph GPS will massively increase your fuel consumption. People quoting 100kph speedo on a standard van is really about 93 to 96kph GPS at best, so bare that in mind. Every kph above 100 will be costing you almost exponentially more fuel. So when you say you are doing 118kph GPS, people using the speedo and stock tyres would be seeing around 125kph.

I usually cruise at 105kph on the GPS, not because the van is struggling, but because my wallet struggles to keep up if I go any faster. So thats around 2400rpm with the automatic trans and 225/75/16 so its got plenty of headroom to cruise faster. I just need a fatter wallet. I usually get around 12l/100km at 105GPS. And when I first got my big fuel tank I did a high speed run and got 16l/100km at 116kph GPS.