Steering Wheel Emblem

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Before we got our Sprinter, I already decided that I was going to do the conversion from the Dodge to Mercedes grille. The only problem was what to do with the emblem on the steering wheel.

Some have mentioned that they took the blue emblem that resides on the hood/bonnet, trimmed it down to 2 inches diameter, and mounted it on the steering wheel.

For me, I wanted the oem look so I started to brainstorm where I would get the emblem. The body emblems were too big and aftermarket emblems leave little to be desired. The emblems off of airbags were the perfect size, but who was going to pay $300 for an airbag just for the emblem?

Then one day on Ebay, I found someone selling just airbag covers. I got mine for less than $12. I could have gotten it for less except I forgot to put in my bid in. :bash: The only bad thing was that it was brown, but that was easily fixed with a rattle can of gray paint for vinyl from a local Kragen store.

I cut out the center emblem out, separated the chrome 3 star from the vinyl, painted the vinyl gray, rejoined the halves, and epoxied the emblem to the center cutout of the Sprinter cover.

steeringwheel.jpg

In certain angles the shades of gray do not match. The entire steering wheel does not have a uniform gray color/shade so it hides it well.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hello,

How did you remove the dodge logo in the airbag cover? Do you have any idea where else one could find an airbag cover with a MB to retrofit like you did?

Thanks for any help

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hello,

How did you remove the dodge logo in the airbag cover? Do you have any idea where else one could find an airbag cover with a MB to retrofit like you did?

Thanks for any help
The emblem is aluminum with 6 tabs that go through the vinyl cover and bent towards the center. You could either pry it from the outside, which I don't recommend, or you can remove the 2 torx bolts from behind the steering wheel and remove the airbag/cover.

DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS. The airbag capacitors need to discharge for at least a couple minutes for servicing as recommended in the service manual.

With that said, there's some phillips screws inside that you can remove so that the airbag module itself can be separated from the cover. Once you get into the backside, you'll find that the tabs are covered by melted vinyl. I shaved off the melted vinyl, bent the tabs back, and popped the emblem off.

I should've taken pictures but this was prior to the start of this forum.

Keep looking on Ebay (search for mercedes airbag) or visit your local MB junkyard. I was very lucky to run across someone just selling the cover. The cover with the airbag module goes close to $300. :eek:

Is the horn the same as in germany found on US dodges?
From what I have read, it's the same whimpy one. A lot of people change it to something more pronounced.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Seek

mgameros

SprinterFest 2007
Also, don't the german model already have the star? Can't we just buy the cover from someone over there?

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
There was a guy in Germany in December selling the star for the steering wheel on ebaY. It can be purchased in Germany as a part only, no need for entire air bag cover. he explained that you have to remove the old, and solder the new one on for proper installation. This way it will not seperate from the cover if airbag deploys and give one a permenant 3 star forehead tattoo.

He sold them for 24.95 plus about 15.00 shipping. I am waiting for him to post more myself.

Last edited:

mgameros

SprinterFest 2007
Yeah I saw that auction. I have emailed him several times and he hasn't answered. Does anybody know someone in Germany?

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Go figure, me too! German guy is on a permanent siesta!

I emailed him more than once too.

I have European family, and may try to source it. If I learn anything, I will let you know.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
There was a guy in Germany in December selling the star for the steering wheel on ebaY. It can be purchased in Germany as a part only, no need for entire air bag cover. he explained that you have to remove the old, and solder the new one on for proper installation. This way it will not seperate from the cover if airbag deploys and give one a permenant 3 star forehead tattoo.

He sold them for 24.95 plus about 15.00 shipping. I am waiting for him to post more myself.
Yeah I saw that auction. I have emailed him several times and he hasn't answered. Does anybody know someone in Germany?
Just a friendly warning Guys! be very careful with eBay in Germany as to the too good a price to refuse, as they rip you off with freighting charges
15 dollars for freight! Which of the five category's for freight Charges? Global airmail the top rate is Five dollars max it fits in an envelope.

My advise is to go to a local MB dealer and order it as they are a standard fit on all Mercedes with the exception of the top end makes such as the SLR.
Richard

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Originally Posted by kkanuck1
There was a guy in Germany in December selling the star for the steering wheel on ebaY. It can be purchased in Germany as a part only, no need for entire air bag cover. he explained that you have to remove the old, and solder the new one on for proper installation.
The star won't work...

go ahead, remove your Dodge logo
(read the first post in this thread Seek's advice...)

Once you do this you'll see where the Mercedes star goes.

The star is still in there. But they added a few circular ridges on top of it to support the Dodge decal. The ridges are as high as the Dodge logo portrudes above the cover surface.

I recommend following Seek's advice.

Grind out those ridges.
Get a used airbag cover, cut out the star with background.
Paint it and glue it on.

I I had the part number I'd give it to you for my rubber decal, but I don't

The silver star as seen on Seeks steering wheel is what the CDI Sprinters steering wheel cover looks like. Non CDI sprinters in Germany have the rubber logo...

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
Obviously enough of us do care or this thread would not exist, but we don't comment on the fact that others don't care. What is your point?

chaozz

thats my next project to locate the air bag cover.
also want to get my front seat redone with some better
padding.seat is killing my boney Butt:cry:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
chaozz,

Any luck with the steering wheel emblem locating here stateside? I have made an inquiry into the local MB parts dept asking about an E class emblem, will tell you what they come back with.

I received the scan tool, many thanks again :rad:.

Tibor

Last edited:

chaozz

chaozz,

Any luck with the steering wheel emblem locating here stateside? I have made an inquiry into the local MB parts dept asking about an E class emblem, will tell you what they come back with.

I received the scan tool, many thanks again :rad:.

Tibor
your welcome

no luck i need to goto the MB wrecking yard see what i can dig up there.

Top Bottom