Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pictures & Videos (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   3D Printed - Rear door badge - emblem (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70761)

turkeypie 11-06-2018 12:37 AM

3D Printed - Rear door badge - emblem

1 Attachment(s)
Made this up today with my 3D printer

lockrob 11-07-2018 10:57 AM

Re: 3D Printed - Rear door badge - emblem

I want one ! Pm

turkeypie 05-03-2019 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hing glider badge by request.

turkeypie 05-03-2019 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Safe & Lock Badge

OrioN 05-03-2019 06:42 PM

What is the basis or type of plastic being used?

Can the plastic be 'coated' or finished, and with what?

:popcorn:

turkeypie 05-04-2019 02:54 PM

3D printer filaments can vary in type and characteristics. Currently using PETG.

Leonid 05-04-2019 10:41 PM

Those 3D printings for the rear door badge look great!

Garandman 05-05-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrioN (Post 765466)
What is the basis or type of plastic being used?

Can the plastic be 'coated' or finished, and with what?

:popcorn:

Most hobby printers use PLA, which doesn’t hold up very well in an automotive environment.

Some better hobby printers can process PETG, which has substantially better physical properties, particularly UV resistance, although it doesn’t paint or solvent bond well. Temperature resistance is much better than PLA: 70-80° C which is sufficient for many aftermarket automotive applications.

ABS can be painted or even plated, one of the reasons it is widely used for automotive parts and office equipment. Typically the part is post-processed first for a smoother finish by solvent honing, sanding or both. You can also solvent bond it, ultrasonically weld it, machine, drill, or insert metal inserts. Most hobby printers do not have the process control to run it, and it is considered finicky and exotic, while it is actually one of the lowest performance thermoplastics in the commercial 3D printing world. Temperature resistance is around 100° C so it can stand up in a hot wet environment.

We have a Stratasys printer that uses ABS. If you want something printed I’d need an STL file, the neutral file format widely used in 3D printing.

Bobnoxious 05-05-2019 01:19 PM

I want on that says TOYOTA.

turkeypie 05-05-2019 03:33 PM

My designs are not open source, you can always make you own .stl files but you don't have my consent to reproduce mine. Notice that mine are PETG and printed on a TAZ 6, they paint up just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garandman (Post 765751)
Most hobby printers use PLA, which doesn’t hold up very well in an automotive environment.

Some better hobby printers can process PETG, which has substantially better physical properties, particularly UV resistance, although it doesn’t paint or solvent bond well. Temperature resistance is much better than PLA: 70-80° C which is sufficient for many aftermarket automotive applications.

ABS can be painted or even plated, one of the reasons it is widely used for automotive parts and office equipment. Typically the part is post-processed first for a smoother finish by solvent honing, sanding or both. You can also solvent bond it, ultrasonically weld it, machine, drill, or insert metal inserts. Most hobby printers do not have the process control to run it, and it is considered finicky and exotic, while it is actually one of the lowest performance thermoplastics in the commercial 3D printing world. Temperature resistance is around 100° C so it can stand up in a hot wet environment.

We have a Stratasys printer that uses ABS. If you want something printed I’d need an STL file, the neutral file format widely used in 3D printing.