Here's what NOT to do when doing an oil change.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
It's 9:00am today and @20k miles, I decided to do an oil change and a fuel filter change before a party at 12:00pm. The oil was warm after coming back from the hardware store.

I decided to drain the oil while I run into the house to finish up something, afterall I'm only human.

When I went outside, I found this underneath the van...
IMGP0006.JPG
:cry:

Apparently, the plug that is at the 6'oclock position of the catch pan decided to do its job. I unplugged it before setting it underneath the van, but the oil vortex cause it to go back to the center.

Ironically, I was worried about seeing a big puddle when I got outside. Sure enough, my thoughts came true. :bash:

I did finish the entire job at 11:30am though. :smirk:

Aircraft Wrench

And we were rough on Capt Joe!!!! look at the size of that contaminated oil spill!

Sorry Sik, You have joined the "I'm glad that it happens to more guys than just me club"!

I hope your wife didn't laugh...

Best,

Jim

sikwan

06 Tin Can
And we were rough on Capt Joe!!!! look at the size of that contaminated oil spill!
:laughing:

She just asked what that powdery mess in the driveway was. :bounce:

I used that sponge in the picture (junked WR250F air filter) to lap up as much oil as I could to squeeze it into the container. I don't know how these guys do it for the full day and many months cleaning up those tanker spills. :bow:

The only powder substance I had around was oxi-clean. I sprinkled that over the spill. It soaked up most and turned purple. Forecasts say it's going to rain tomorrow morning. I hope they're wrong because I'd like to sweep it up before it becomes a gooey mess.

kendall69

It's days like that, that make me feel much better about sitting in the customer lounge drinking bad coffee, and watching soap operas.

My wife refuses to let me do any more oil changes, confirmed by all the black splotches in our drive.

The dealer price sucks, but when things go wrong, your glad to pay it.

05highroof

Sikwan,I keep a giant piece of cardboard tucked away in my garage for doing driveway oil changes. I slip it under the truck before I drain the oil. It wouldn't soak up an Exxon Valdeez spill such as yours but it catches those small drips and splashes that I find nearly impossible to avoid PLUS it's nice to lie down on.
ps Good use of an old air filter!

KenB

Seek,
I don't put that plug on the edge anymore... luckily had that happen on a lesser emptying experience. Also bad to not open the little yellow VENT.:hmmm:

Also, I won't remove the oil filter prior to the beginning of the oil change as it allows unrestricted in-flow of makeup air into the top of the engine allowing maximum jet-like thrust of oil out and over the rim of the oil catch pan... I de-center my pan to catch the surge, but still (barely) catch the drips later and the rapid flow over-shot even that extreme offset!:bash:

Let me tell you about the time I was changing oil in our high-mileage Mercury (302 V8) and I left the drain plug out and added the STP Motor Oil Treatment (that thick sryupy stuff... and the convenient and ever-present Oklahoma wind blew it away from making a puddle under the car by stringing it like silly-string all over the underside of the front of the car... truly special, as I had to get under there and put the plug in and fill-er-up and drive to town for anuther can o' STP.

KenB:idunno:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I didn't have the presence of mind to take a picture when I was enthusiastically cursing :yell::censored: myself for a similar performance.

More power to you. :cheers:

stp57

Another oil change mistake not to make is to think that you can apply the 18lbs pressure needed, by hand, to sufficiently tighten the oil filter cap. I lost only a quart, but what a mess! I have a cap wrench but I didn't want to look for it at the time.
Steve

contractor

9 1/2 quarts of mess:yell:. I want to make a recommendation to you to get rid of that oil pan ... I use to have the same one and oil splattered like a cow pissing on a flat rock. I went to Advance Auto or the other store and they now sell a yellow tub that has the whole top open which eliminates the mess ... of course it still does have to be under the drain plug:smirk:

Top Bottom