Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   NCV3 Talk (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Noblemercedes warning: Change Turbo Inlet Seal every time disturbed (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48673)

CJPJ 10-04-2017 09:05 PM

Re: Noblemercedes warning: Change Turbo Inlet Seal every time disturbed

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeme (Post 592768)

I gave it a look in between, and did not see anything obvious.

remember the other end of the turbo inlet tube is clamped to the air filter housing.

Simple to test: thump the inlet tube. A proper installed / true to form inlet tube will thump like a ripe melon. Just putting your hands on the tube can indicate if both its ends are firmly attached or not.

Motoheadz 10-04-2017 09:16 PM

I had a fuel leak within 5K Kim's of purchase, had it fixed under warranty. A few days later I heard "air blow-off" sound, drove it a few Kms home. At low speed. Towed to dealer again. Said they left a clamp loose. Fixed it. I never questioned it. Now I inspect at 90k and see the turbos shot. So I guess I've driven possibly slightly under power for 90k kms, faced with the same turbo problem as you. Can't help but to think they didn't clamp it right back in 2011 And never owned up to it. Likely would have been on the dealers dime as MB wouldn't reimburse them if they determined it was an improperly installed seal.

mikeme 10-06-2017 12:22 PM

one other item which may impact the seal failure. I had finished a DPF regen a bit before the failure. I monitor an exhaust temp with a scangauge (EGT2). normal temp around 300f, 400 under heavy load. 600f plus during DPF regen. (I see these every 500miles or so) noted one on the drive, completed and temp back to normal, stopped for ten minutes or so, and the failure happened a mile or so into the following drive. (i noticed the noise coming to a traffic light. thought it was another vehicle at first.)

my thought is that the turbo (and seal) could have been a little hotter than normal during the stop. not a primary cause, but straw that....

TooMuchHair 10-06-2017 02:54 PM

Hi, Mike, Are you sure that the temps you're watching aren't Centigrade?
I totally think that heat is possibly the big problem with this seal. With a couple of variables to consider, when the engine is running, the intake (cold) side of the turbo where the seal is located is kept well below block temp by the flow of cool/clean intake air, all is good. However, when you shut the engine off some of the heat stored in the hot (exhaust) side of the turbo inherently passes to the cold side. (Thermal equilibrium) This is where the variables get interesting.

Long trips with engine shut off @ turbo temps under 400F that seal will likely be fine until you change it again the next time you change your fuel filter. Lets go straight to worst case for making the point.

Short, frequent trips with no concern of turbo temp at shut down, easily could unknowingly be @700F maybe more. Add to that unawareness of most drivers the good chance of shutting down during a re-gen with turbo temp of possibly over 1300F, in either of these scenarios we can see temps increasing on the cold (seal) side climbing way beyond the limits of this seal and happening many more times due to the use of the vehicle. Of course adding a little engine oil from the crankcase vent in to the area only makes it tougher on the seal.

Off topic of the seal, but also important is the damage being done to the small amount of stagnate oil residing in the turbo during hot shutdown seeing temps beyond design limits. (fried!) And again it stands to reason the impact is increased by the frequency.

Further justification to the wisdom of monitoring our exhaust temps and especially taking note of the re-gen cycles.

mikeme 10-06-2017 07:48 PM

Right you are. degrees C. (just took a look and parked the temp is 30, and there is no danger of frost today)

I corrected two posts back.

Neil2 11-19-2017 04:26 PM

True that. A firm that actually had good owner service (www) would get my loyalty. Was just trying to view/price a MOPAR EGR tube and it was exasperating on their site.

Pneumo 05-01-2018 03:18 PM

I found a 1 inch tear around my seal and have had no luck finding a mopar part number. I'm on the road and not so near any mercedes dealerships and the dodge shop hasn't been able to find the part either. Is this a mercedes only part, or am I just failing to find it? I don't have an address I can ship to here aside from general delivery, and I've already been in this area with car trouble for over a week. Is it safe to drive with this seal, given that I replace it asap?

Cheyenne 05-01-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pneumo (Post 649276)
I

Is it safe to drive with this seal, given that I replace it asap?

From what I've read on here, NO!

Reason: In case it gets sucked into the turbo and results in further, costly, damage.

Keith.

bcislander 05-01-2018 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pneumo (Post 649276)
I found a 1 inch tear around my seal and have had no luck finding a mopar part number. I'm on the road and not so near any mercedes dealerships and the dodge shop hasn't been able to find the part either. Is this a mercedes only part, or am I just failing to find it? I don't have an address I can ship to here aside from general delivery, and I've already been in this area with car trouble for over a week. Is it safe to drive with this seal, given that I replace it asap?

The Mercedes part # for the seal for my 2007 is A 017 997 04 45. IIRC, the same seals were used in both 2007 & 2008.

Pneumo 05-01-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcislander (Post 649327)
The Mercedes part # for the seal for my 2007 is A 017 997 04 45. IIRC, the same seals were used in both 2007 & 2008.

You are corret, both utilize the same seal. I was just hoping that Mopar had a part # for this part which would enable me to purchase it locally instead of having to overnight to this small town. All my research points to that not beinf the case however, unfortunately. Idparts overnight air is $38, not including the seal price which is a hard pill to swallow. Ah well, better to replace it than nuke my turbo I suppose.

Thanks all.