Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   NCV3 Talk (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Noblemercedes warning: Change Turbo Inlet Seal every time disturbed (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48673)

HappyFamilyVan 06-14-2017 12:07 AM

Re: Noblemercedes warning: Change Turbo Inlet Seal every time disturbed

Thanks for the replies.

mikeme 06-15-2017 06:53 PM

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/pi...pictureid=3791

apologies for further moving away from the main topic, but I am trying to see if I can replace the fuel filter without disturbing the turbo inlet seal.

the input turbo hose is at the top of this photo, and the mounting screw is just visible between the hose and fuel filter.

Got this far into it, and think I need to buy more tools. a flex drive and or ball end 5mm hex bit might let me loosen up the radial mounting without taking the hose off.

any suggestions?

jfreeth 06-18-2017 06:51 PM

I just experienced a loose 'orange' seal on my 2008, NCV3. It makes a distinctive low frequency (WOOO) sound, like a small exhaust leak, mainly when accelerating. There is a subtle loss of turbo boost and acceleration but does not go into LHM. Then ECL P0101 pops up, one of the Mass Air Flow faults. Open hood and wiggle the inlet tube... problem diagnosed.
Reading up on all the dire reports of turbo's ingesting the seal and self destructing I feel lucky, but sceptical that you need to replace the gasket unless it is damaged, degraded or the wrong type. I have simply reconnected the inlet tube dozens of times when doing standard maintenance, fuel filter replacement, glow-plug replacement, etc. over the last 8 years with no problems.

Amusingly I was dropping the vehicle off for air bag replacement under warranty at my local Dodge dealer, and they missed it, although they did recommend flushing the power steering and brakes for a princely sum, but that's another story.

mikeme 07-08-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeme (Post 563878)
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/pi...pictureid=3791

apologies for further moving away from the main topic, but I am trying to see if I can replace the fuel filter without disturbing the turbo inlet seal.

the input turbo hose is at the top of this photo, and the mounting screw is just visible between the hose and fuel filter.

Got this far into it, and think I need to buy more tools. a flex drive and or ball end 5mm hex bit might let me loosen up the radial mounting without taking the hose off.

any suggestions?

on my 2015, I ended up pulling the hose between the turbo and air filter. no realistic way to get this fuel filter out without doing so.

I ordered a replacement seal, but decided, after close inspection, that the seal looked to be in good shape. I gave the outside of the seal a wipe with a towel wetted with some of the dieselfuel from the old filter, and put it all together. (with 3NM torque on the screws that snug the clamps on that hose.)

Aqua Puttana 07-08-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfreeth (Post 564637)
Reading up on all the dire reports of turbo's ingesting the seal and self destructing I feel lucky, but skeptical that you need to replace the gasket unless it is damaged, degraded or the wrong type. I have simply reconnected the inlet tube dozens of times when doing standard maintenance, fuel filter replacement, glow-plug replacement, etc. over the last 8 years with no problems.

I understand inspection and re-use DIY. It would seem that improper re-assembly is the biggest factor. Part replacement each time is the conservative approach.

I would suggest that having a new seal on hand would be worth the investment. Without a new seal on hand the temptation to re-use a questionable seal would be great. Given 8 years service perhaps install the new seal and keep the still good one as a spare.

:2cents: vic

Ldfeat 09-02-2017 07:16 PM

"3Nm" Wow! That's only 26.5 inch pounds! Not very much...

smiller 09-02-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana (Post 569744)
I understand inspection and re-use DIY. It would seem that improper re-assembly is the biggest factor. Part replacement each time is the conservative approach.

I would suggest that having a new seal on hand would be worth the investment. Without a new seal on hand the temptation to re-use a questionable seal would be great. Given 8 years service perhaps install the new seal and keep the still good one as a spare.

This is the procedure I use. Replacement every time the seal is disturbed seems more designed to protect against damage from commercial service work where the mechanic may not be very careful about inspecting the seal, so it's easier to just replace it every time even if not necessary (on your nickel of course.) Otherwise it's not necessary to replace a seal in perfect condition, but I would have an extra on hand so (as Vic pointed out) you're not temped to put a questionable one back in service.

And I would not take the 3 nm torque spec too literately, that is essentially code to an experienced mechanic saying 'not too tight dumbass!' The proper procedure is to tighten so that there is a positive seal but not so much that the gasket is damaged. This does require some experience/feel but that's just part of the skill set anyone should have before attempting mechanical work.

mikeme 09-27-2017 06:15 PM

seems the seal I left in place did not stay there.

the estimate is $6300 for new turbo, intercooler and oil change.

I probably made it worse by applying engine oil to the seal. (even though there is some oil inside the air pipe)

probably should have used the new seal, and made sure all mating surfaces were clean and dry, then torque to spec.

Aqua Puttana 09-27-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeme (Post 590956)
seems the seal I left in place did not stay there.

Bummer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeme (Post 569723)

I ordered a replacement seal, but decided, after close inspection, that the seal looked to be in good shape. I gave the outside of the seal a wipe with a towel wetted with some of the dieselfuel from the old filter, and put it all together. (with 3NM torque on the screws that snug the clamps on that hose.)

Maybe diesel fuel wasn't a good choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeme (Post 590956)
... probably should have used the new seal, and made sure all mating surfaces were clean and dry, then torque to spec.

I think you may be on to something with "clean and dry". Even if there is oil within the hoses/system, when the seal remains tight the oil never makes it to the seal faces.

Sorry. I'm not trying to pile on. My intention is discussion for others who might be in the same situation as you were.

It sure seems like a poor design as compared to what was used on the T1N.

Any chance the turbo can be rebuilt by Garrett?

vic

Redpillar 09-27-2017 09:04 PM

Wow that is a drag, sorry to hear it.