Sprinter-Forum

Sprinter-Forum (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php)
-   NCV3 4x4 Talk (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   heated windshield question (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72204)

IPT 12-30-2018 06:14 PM

heated windshield question

Seems to me that the wiring for the heated window is embedded in between the glass plys. So it should be OK to mount a state park sticker inside the windshield and safely scrape it off every year, yeah?

JFloFoto 12-30-2018 08:37 PM

Re: heated windshield question

Yep.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Onefin 12-31-2018 04:43 AM

Oh how I envy the heated windshield equipped people here!

Sticker removal should be no issue.

IPT 12-31-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onefin (Post 725969)
Oh how I envy the heated windshield equipped people here!

Sticker removal should be no issue.

Living in Alaska this was a no brainer for me. SO far it is well worth the extra wait time to get the van I wanted (not off the lot) outfitted the way I wanted. With the height of the these rides, and the 6+ months of snow, ice, and frost up here, I just new this had to be in my option list.

I haven't to pay for a replacement, though I'm sure the day will come. It's so worth it thus far. It is really quite effective!

Montucky 01-03-2019 02:21 PM

I waffled about whether I should get this option, and now I regret it every time I crawl up on to the hood to scrape ice! If I could go back in time, I'd pay twice the option price!

sprint2freedom 01-03-2019 05:02 PM

When it's icy I definitely appreciate having the heated windshield, although using it kind of means you're cold-idling your van as it'd be unsafe to drive anywhere with the windshield iced over. If you sleep in your van the inside of the windshield can ice up as well, and the heated glass does melt both sides.

One major downside is that the tiny wavy wires are visible and are kind of annoying to look through, especially in bright sunlight and at night when they cause a starburst type effect. If you wear glasses then you get visual effects from both the glasses and the windshield which can be distracting..

IPT 01-08-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprint2freedom (Post 727140)
When it's icy I definitely appreciate having the heated windshield, although using it kind of means you're cold-idling your van as it'd be unsafe to drive anywhere with the windshield iced over. If you sleep in your van the inside of the windshield can ice up as well, and the heated glass does melt both sides.

One major downside is that the tiny wavy wires are visible and are kind of annoying to look through, especially in bright sunlight and at night when they cause a starburst type effect. If you wear glasses then you get visual effects from both the glasses and the windshield which can be distracting..

I've found the de-icing via the windshield heater is pretty darn quick. So far, any cold idle has been quite short while it does it's thing.

I was worried about the visual aspect too, because I read from others they didn't like it (a photographer). Truth is, for me I couldn't even see it at first. It was only after having the van a few days and the sun hitting it just right, that I saw it. Since then I see it a little more often. It's never been enough to be annoying (for me at least), and I have not experienced the glare you mentioned. Though I am due for a new prescription on the specs so maybe after that I'll see it more! For now, I'm more than glad I have it :thumbup:.

aksotar 01-08-2019 03:29 PM

I idle maybe 5 mins and my windshield is defrosted and my heater booster has the inside warm...
“one major downside” visible/annoying wires ?? I haven’t noticed the wires at all, day or night....
for conditions here in Ak, it is a GREAT option to have, my rear door windows are also heated...

Farfrumwork 01-09-2019 10:55 PM

Love my heated windshield as well.

FYI on replacement cost... My van was caught in a nasty hail storm that broke my windshield in several places. Replacement cost was $1000 installed (insurance paid). The glass itself was ~$700.

sprint2freedom 01-11-2019 05:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aksotar (Post 728692)
“one major downside” visible/annoying wires ?? I haven’t noticed the wires at all, day or night....

Maybe it's too dark up there in Alaska for you guys to notice them? :idunno:

This is what I'm talking about:

Attachment 106185

100% crop:

Attachment 106186