10,000 mile checkup light

Jrmorgan

At 10,000 miles my 06 maintenance warning light didn't come on. I have had the battery disconnected a few times. Other than that nothing else that I have done to prematurely re-set the light warning. Any ideas?

John

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I didn't think there was a warning light, but maybe a couple of wrenches in the LCD display.

If you press the "mi" button you can scroll through to see how many miles you have left on the ASSYST. I do it every 10k +/- and I still have a few hundred miles left on the ASSYST. I reset it anyways after the oil change.

nebep

I've let my light "ride" - I think it says "-72000" now....

(Don't worry - I've changed the oil and fuel filters appropriately over that duration of mileage...ASSYST really does me know good - I idle a bit more than the average joe because of my work, so, I keep my oil changes a little tighter...as close to 7500 as possible...every once in a while if I'm real busy I'll brush 82-8300..)

Mine is supposed to be equipped with ASSYST, and I personally think it's an overrated mileage counter and that's about it...I've heard folks say it "keeps check" on the quality of the oil and stuff, I just don't see it, if it really were doing all that, why wouldn't it just reset itself? If it knows it's bad, wouldn't it know it's good?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Mine is supposed to be equipped with ASSYST, and I personally think it's an overrated mileage counter and that's about it...I've heard folks say it "keeps check" on the quality of the oil and stuff, I just don't see it, if it really were doing all that, why wouldn't it just reset itself? If it knows it's bad, wouldn't it know it's good?
If ASSYST lets you stretch your every-10000 miles oil changes out to every-15000, then you'd save the cost of one oil change out of three.

ASSYST cannot measure the -other- maintenance items: fuel filter, air filters, etc.
That's why it remains as a "nag" until consciously reset.

--dick

nebep

But, I'd contend, unless there are two different versions of ASSYST that it just counts down 10000 miles from when you set it, that's all it does.

When I did my first oil change, at 7500, I reset ASSYST. Then, at 15,000, I didn't. At 17,500 ASSYST came up that it had been 10,000 miles and it was time...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
But, I'd contend, unless there are two different versions of ASSYST that it just counts down 10000 miles from when you set it, that's all it does.
..mine went 12,500 ... other folks have posted 13,000 and 15,000 before the wretched wrenches appeared.
Your mileage may vary (and choice of oil)

Another person recently posted due to wondering why the "miles to go" wasn't dropping to match the odometer's increase.

--dick

david_42

There are, one type monitors the oil. I typically see 13-14,000 miles for a 10,000 mile countdown. 55K and I'm 3900 miles from my fourth oil change.

As long as we're beating up on poor Nebep, my ASSYST typically gets me to just shy of 15,000 miles on an oil change. It stays with the odometer for a while and then starts to adjust. I thought I'd reset my 2004 ASSYST with my new DAD, but it didn't take. (That's another story. It's been too cold and lately I've been under the weather a bit so...) Anyway. The mileage had counted to -1200 after the new oil. I just noticed yesterday that it corrected to -700 by itself. I figure it finally decided my oil was really newer. Just an observation.

I think I've said this before. Using comments by other people who have ASSYST and others who have had regular laboratory oil testing, I think ASSYST is worthwhile. That said, it is not based upon any scientific study. AP/vic

Last edited:

nebep

what kind of oil are you guys using?

Heck, I've got two of 'em, and they've both acted identically from day one. I don't take it bein' beat up on at all - it is what it is...

what kind of oil are you guys using?

For my first two oil changes I used Mobile 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT). I was mistaken that it had a MB approval for my OM647 engine. It turns out it doesn't, but as a complete layman looking at the Mobile spec sheets it seemed close to the approved formulas? I'm certain it's good oil, just not on the approved list.:idunno: The TDT Mobile 1 seems harder to find around here now anyway.

I just changed to Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic (blue bottle) MB228.31 and that is the new oil that just caused the ASSYST to apparently correct the negative countdown +500 miles. I do quite a bit of daily driving except for a trip to Florida around February and quite a few longer miles trailer towing trips from May to maybe October. If you do mostly city stop/go miles perhaps you're not going to see the longer oil change from the ASSYST? AP/vic

P.S. - I was just kidding about beating you up. Max has tried to get me to use more smileys! My sarcasm translates poorly in print.:bash::smirk::cheers::cheers:

nebep

'tis no problem aqua....

Interesting...

I've run 15W-40 rotella since day one - (ducking!!!) - I can only imagine the posts that are getting ready to fly from saying I use something higher than 5W!!!

185K(truck1 - 02, non-50 state motor) in one, 110K(truck2 - 04, 50 state motor) in the other....both running like they got picked up yesterday brand new....

I'd say 90% of the mileage on truck 1 is city, stop and go, but, I'm not a "hurry for that red light up there" kinda driver....I'd consider my city driving style to be a lot more like SLOW interstate...

Probably 40-50% of truck 2 would be considered city....had another fella drivin' that, and when I rode with him, or, when we were riding in "tandem", his city habits were similar to mine.

Top Bottom