PDA

View Full Version : Special tools for fan removal everybody should have some.

jackbombay
01-19-2010, 01:49 AM
A few weeks back I made a couple of special tools to make the high pressure pump R&R easier on my T1N, seeing as there are a few other people here that own T1Ns I figure there may be a few people interested in purchasing a set of these.

There are 2 tools, one that has an 8mm allen welded to the end of it and is bent to reach around the fan blade and another to hold the fan clutch while you loosen or tighten the 8mm that holds the fan onto the clutch.

Here is what Andy had to say about the tools in my "High pressure pump removal, How to" thread,

Nice job of documenting this procedure and clever tool making.

If I may add a few tips-

These homemade special tools are a useful addition to any '02-'06 Sprinter owners tool box. They will be invaluable when performing water pump replacement, belt tensioner replacement, idler pulley replacement, crankshaft harmonic balancer replacement, etc.

Here is a pic of the 2 tools,

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/schmeldenhoffer/IMG_1032.jpg

With the bend in the 8mm allen tool there is plenty of room for both your hands to work each of the tools, I can post a youtube video if anyone is interested ;-)

How much interest is there in sets of these tools if I were to make some for sale?

ZED
01-19-2010, 02:55 AM
The large bottom drawer in one of my roll aways is full of just such home made tools to make the job manageable when you just don't happen to have genuine MB/VW tool #204958098234988567928348290850387089475982

Living up here I wouldn't likely pay the shipping this far, but they would certainly be useful for someone closer. If I could drive down the street and pick up a set of those rather than making them myself, I would.

Good to see though. I'll have to put the construction of said tools on my todo list.

jackbombay
01-19-2010, 03:00 AM
I ship other products I make to Canada pretty often and the cost is typically quite close to shipping in the states, but it does take a little longer to get there because of customs.

At any rate, I typically sell my products with shipping included in the price so I don't have to deal with shipping cost calculations and the back and forth e-mailing associated with that. I'm thinking $40 with the cost of shipping included for these.

jackbombay
01-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Good to see though. I'll have to put the construction of said tools on my todo list.

For anyone that has the tools to make their own, it is a 1/2" hole that I drilled in the end of the clutch holder bar (the hook grabs one of the screws), I then cut the missing piece out with a grinder. Both of the bars are 15" long, 1/8"X1" steel.

Close up of the hook,

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/schmeldenhoffer/IMG_1034.jpg

You can't leave it a full circle or it won't fit between the fan blade and the head of the screw.

Dougflas
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
can you post a drawing of the other tool also? Lengths and angles?

blacksmoke
01-25-2010, 01:30 AM
if __ is the price including shipping i'll paypal you any time. let me know. going to do a fan clutch change out next week. jan 22. 10 i live in cali.

jackbombay
01-25-2010, 04:31 AM
if __ is the price including shipping i'll paypal you any time. let me know. going to do a fan clutch change out next week. jan 22. 10 i live in cali.

I have a few sets of these ready to ship, I PM'd you paypal info :thumbup: EDIT: it looks like you have e-mail and PM blocked? Send me a PM?

I'll post up dimensions for the allen wrench tool tomorrow. Price is $40.

marquimarl
01-25-2010, 05:31 AM
I was looking at my fan and noticed that one of the blades had a huge chunk of it missing.
I was on a 1,000 mile road trip and was worried that the imbalance would shake something loose sooner or later.
There was no way I could figure out how to get that fan off.
The front side of the radiator has an electric fan. Is that standard or is it an add on?
I was thinking with an electric fan I would not need to replace the broken fan.
How much would you charge for a set of those tools shipped to Las Vegas?

jackbombay
01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I was looking at my fan and noticed that one of the blades had a huge chunk of it missing.
I was on a 1,000 mile road trip and was worried that the imbalance would shake something loose sooner or later.
There was no way I could figure out how to get that fan off.
The front side of the radiator has an electric fan. Is that standard or is it an add on?
I was thinking with an electric fan I would not need to replace the broken fan.
How much would you charge for a set of those tools shipped to Las Vegas?

What year is your van? There is no room for an electric fan on my T1N, sounds like you have an NCV3? I'm not sure if they have an 8mm allen to hold the fan blade on, can anyone confirm this?

The cost is $40 with the shipping included to anywhere in the US/Canada.

photoadjuster
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
My 2003 also has an electric fan in front of the radiator in addition to the engine drive fan and fan clutch. The engine is labeled as a 612, but how do I know if it is a T1N or NCV3

Mike Stephenson

jackbombay
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
D'oh! I need to read more carefully, marquimarl also mentioned that his electric fan is in front of the radiator, I mistakenly though he meant the electric fan was on the back side of the radiator.

Here in north america the T1N's are 2002-2006 model year sprinters and the NCV3's are 2077 and newer.

marquimarl
01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
2004 2.7 Tall and long Ten passenger.
I will take a set. Please email me with a pay pal request.
[email]

Anybody know why we have two fans?
We do hit over 110f 4 months or more during the year here.
(45c)

jackbombay
01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
2004 2.7 Tall and long Ten passenger.
I will take a set. Please email me with a pay pal request.
[email]

Thanks, request sent :thumbup:

Anybody know why we have two fans?
We do hit over 110f 4 months or more during the year here.
(45c)

When towing up hill with AC on in hot temps for example I bet the belt driven fan can't keep things as cool as they should be so they threw on the additional elec fan.

photoadjuster
01-26-2010, 04:09 AM
The electric fan is mostly for the air conditioner condenser coil. I left mine idling for two days once and the dash air worked perfectly. The electric fan would cycle on and off as needed.

I will take a set of tools. Please send paypal instructions.
Mike Stephenson

jackbombay
01-26-2010, 05:54 AM
I will take a set of tools. Please send paypal instructions.
Mike Stephenson

Your profile is set up so that I can't send you an e-mail or a PM, you can change those setting in your profile, or post up your e-mail address here, although when posting e-mail addresses in "public" you can end up with a lot of spam in your inbox.

photoadjuster
01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
I have edit my profile to allow emails

jackbombay
01-27-2010, 03:00 AM
E-mail sent :-)

CdnVWJunkie
02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I'd like to bump this older post to say Thank You to Jack Bombay for these tools. They've been at the bottom of my tool box awaiting usage. Today I swapped the viscous portion of my fan. 20-25 min. job all said.

EZoilburner
02-10-2013, 01:48 AM
Are they still available?

jackbombay
02-10-2013, 02:04 AM
I will be making more soon.

glasseye
02-10-2013, 04:29 AM
I will be making more soon.

Goodie! I was just thinking of those very tools on my Saturday afternoon walk, kicking myself for not ordering them when first they were offered.

Count me in.

GaryJ
02-11-2013, 04:35 AM
And I would also like to know when they're available again. I have a fan clutch that runs far more than is necessary, and needs replacement.

Gary

toy81
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
I am interested as well. Thanks!

CdnVWJunkie
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
And I would also like to know when they're available again. I have a fan clutch that runs far more than is necessary, and needs replacement.

Gary

Mine ran continuously. Once I had got it off, I realized why. The bearing was missing several ball bearings!

jackbombay
02-12-2013, 01:51 AM
I'll be working on a batch of these after work through this week and will have them ready to ship by the end of the week or first thing next week.

schwarzwaldsprinter
02-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I'll be working on a batch of these after work through this week and will have them ready to ship by the end of the week or first thing next week.

Please, make a set for me as well.

Thanks a lot ! :cheers:

Sven

Charliektm400exc
02-13-2013, 10:05 PM

I'll take a set, but what is the freight to Australia going to add to the price?

Charlie

jackbombay
02-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Shipping to Australia shouldn't add too much to the cost, $10 or so, total price of $50 usd to your door.

Charliektm400exc
02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Shipping to Australia shouldn't add too much to the cost, $10 or so, total price of $50 usd to your door.

OK I'm in.

Charlie

Turbo John
02-14-2013, 08:37 PM

send me some.....Pm the adress etc?

jackbombay
02-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Ok, I have a bunch of these tools finished and ready to ship and started a blog page with a paypal link to make it easy for everyone, here is the link;

http://sprinterfantools.blogspot.com/

I have prices for tools shipped to North America, $40 to your door, or $50 to your door for those that live in Europe, the UK, or Australia, the paypal drop down menu has both options.

Let me know if you have any questions :-)

With a payment tonight I can have your tools on their way to you tomorrow morning, payments made after tonight will be shipped Monday morning. I do typically ship on Saturday, but I am working this weekend...

schwarzwaldsprinter
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Ok, I have a bunch of these tools finished and ready to ship and started a blog page with a paypal link to make it easy for everyone, here is the link;

http://sprinterfantools.blogspot.com/

I have prices for tools shipped to North America, $40 to your door, or $50 to your door for those that live in Europe, the UK, or Australia, the paypal drop down menu has both options.

Let me know if you have any questions :-)

With a payment tonight I can have your tools on their way to you tomorrow morning, payments made after tonight will be shipped Monday morning. I do typically ship on Saturday, but I am working this weekend...

Just sent you an order.

Thanks for making it so easy!!

Sven

jackbombay
02-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Just sent you an order.

Thanks for making it so easy!!

Sven

You're welcome!

All orders received before 8:00 AM MST were shipped this mornign, orders placed after 8:00 AM will ship monday morning.

I do plan on keeping these tools in stock and ready to ship for the foreseeable future, fwiw.

robbin
02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
When you make the hooked tool do you harden it? I had a problem this last week losing both idler pulleys and had to make my own set. But the hook wasn't strong enough to hold and it straightened. Instead of trying to strengthen it, I just designed my own tool to hold the screws. I am curious if I did something wrong in copying your design or if my bolt was just really tight.

jackbombay
02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
The dimensions of the hook are pretty specific, here is a picture, the dimension "b" can actually be fairly large, but as long as its 3/8" or more the hook won't bend as the tip of the hook just doesn't have enough leverage over rest of the hook to be able to bend. My hunch is that your dimension "b" is notably smaller that it should have been, is that where your hook bent?

I have never had a problem with my hooks bending.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/schmeldenhoffer/9BAACCC0-221A-4778-BF90-5A5F61AE0A8E-5863-000007B65E07EA3A_zpsefb5ab7f.jpg

robbin
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
It's more like the tip of the hook that wasn't strong enough. I have an iPad and pinched to zoom so that your pic was full size. When I laid my tool on the pic, the dimensions were very close to identical. I'll post a pic in a day or so when I get back to the shop. That's much easier than trying describe how it failed.

jackbombay
02-19-2013, 12:33 AM
I've sold about 50 sets of these and nobody had had a problem, let's take this to PMs...

Aqua Puttana
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I've sold about 50 sets of these and nobody had had a problem, let's take this to PMs...

Not all steel quality is created equal. Stock thickness could be critical also.

So nobody gets the wrong idea, my interpretation of the failure under discussion is that it is related to a tool patterned after Jackbombay's information, it is not a failure of one that he manufactured or supplied. FWIW. vic

FOB
08-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Another take on the special tools for the job.

I was happy to sacrifice a not-so-old screwdriver for the sake of convenience. Worked a treat.

The 3/8" ratchet was a push fit into the metal conduit (from a burr), so it would work on an incline without needing duct tape / other to hold in place.

Mine was a 315 Sprinter (906) and I still haven't been able to locate the water drain in the block. Purchasing the OEM CD from Ebay.

Thanks to all for the tips & tricks from this forum.

FOB
Fool-Ona-Buell

mad max
09-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Are you still selling these tools?

jcolvin
09-27-2016, 04:14 AM
The special tools will make it easier, less fiddley, and less likely to skin your knuckles or break something, but it is possible without them. You can unclip the shroud and pull it up and forward enough to be able to get a regular allen key on the bolt. Then wedge a screwdriver between the screws on the hub to stop it rotating, use a piece of pipe or similar for leverage on the allan key and it loosens without too much force. at least mine did.