Gearbox Ratios and models

stig

Hi everyone, I'm new here and trying to find some info on sprinter gearboxes to retrofit into a G.
Can someone tell me when the first 6 speed models were introduced? Also does someone have a list of the model numbers (5 and 6 speed) together with their respective ratios? I would like a 6 speed (or 5) with a very low 1st and reverse and a good over drive. I know the new ECO Gear boxes have low 1st gears but 6th is a little high. Thanks in advance. Cheers Scott

Hubert

Hi, I'm afraid that the gearboxes are the same, rear axels ratio are different, for example I've got the fastest 3,692:1, there are also 3,923:1, 4,182:1, 4,363:1, 4,727:1, and 5,1:1

Last edited:

comet429

I new here and everybody I've talk to,say that they are getting better fuel mpg then I am.I'm use it for expedited freight.

I've run a full tank fuel............with no freight at all in the rear and never got over 65mph and still only got 17mpg,(their saying that they are getting 23 to 26mpg).

Where can you find which rear-end ratio it has in it.

If you you have to look at the serial# ......which digit or digit's?

If on rear-end tag......how would you translate?

comet429

Well,I found the sticker and this what it has on it:
i=51:13 l=3,923
Typ A9063501900
Var 004070280
FZ 741412-B459429
Werk Kassel

Hubert

comet429 said:
Well,I found the sticker and this what it has on it:
i=51:13 l=3,923
Typ A9063501900
Var 004070280
FZ 741412-B459429
Werk Kassel

So you have your answer 51:13=3,923

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
I new here and everybody I've talk to,say that they are getting better fuel mpg then I am.I'm use it for expedited freight.

I've run a full tank fuel............with no freight at all in the rear and never got over 65mph and still only got 17mpg,(their saying that they are getting 23 to 26mpg).

Where can you find which rear-end ratio it has in it.

If you you have to look at the serial# ......which digit or digit's?

If on rear-end tag......how would you translate?
Are you in the pre 10k mile break-in period? I've got about 7500 on mine and the mileage is slowly but surely improving.

sailquik

Hi Comet 429:
If you are expediting freight, might want to invest in a ScanGauge II. With lots of miles,
it will pay for itself in a few months in fuel savings.
It's quite possibly the way you are driving the van, and the "quirks" of having an electronic
pedal positioner vs something connected to actual linkage.
It's very easy to use way too much throttle (and alot more fuel) when there is very little
"feedback" about what the load on the engine is.
The SGII has a "LOD" reading, and if you try to keep the "LOD" below around 75% as much of
the time as possible (this means downshifting when you are pulling hard, and maybe upshifting
manually when you are loaded with weight).
It's real easy to push the pedal down, have the load (LOD on the SGII) go to 99% and stay there
for quite a while.
As soon as you see the LOD going past about 80-85%, you can downshift and get much better
fuel mileage with the LOD back down in the 65-75% range because the engine is now turning the
correct RPMs to make both horsepower and torque.
I do not understand your van only making 65 mph. Something may be wrong that's killing your
mileage.
I picked up my 2006 T1N (OM 647) with 200 miles on it.
By about 1000 miles on the ODO i was cruising down I-75 at 75-80 mph.
Until you get the SGII, try backing off the throttle until the RPMs/MPH just start to drop,
then add just a touch of throttle to maintian the speed you want.
Also, get the van to a shop with good diagnostics and find out why it will only go 65 MPH.
Roger

comet429

I bought it with about 400 miles on it and it just turned over 50,000.

Sailquik, I was just saying that I wasn't going over 65mph,guess I should of said I had the cruise control set for 65mph and no weight onboard and still 17mpg.Also if I put 1,500lbs of freight on and drive it a little harder and it still gets 17mpg.

I'll look into the ScanGauge II

stig

OK thanks, but do you know what the gear ratios are in all the gearboxes? Especially 1st, 5th (or 6th) and reverse? Thanks

Top Bottom