Block heater

Phil2007

Hi guys,

Rather than insert this in any existing thread, figured I would start a new one. I am still trying to research the options to install some form of pre-heat for my diesel engine. I see the option for the installation of the in-line coolant heater and oil pan heaters, but want to become convinced that a block heater is out of the question before I make a decision.

When I was at my local Chyrsler dealer a few days ago checking about having the H44 recall taken care of, I asked about the block heater option. The parts guy looked into it and said there was at one point a Mopar Accessory block heater part made for the 2007 3.0L diesel but looks like it was discontinued. He had no idea why it was discontinued but agreed that if the part was once available that the engine must/should have been able to have one installed....but that's all the info I could get from him.

I did ask if he knew of another after market product that took the place of the Mopar but no luck again. He did give me the part # of the Mopar and printed a picture of the product....

001A-Mopar Accessory Parts Groupings 710-Heaters
engine block heater part #82211744

Has anyone else had better success with this issue?

Thanks much,
Phil

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I think that part number was also for the Jeep Grande Cherokee, not the Sprinter.

The OM642 3.0L diesel Jeep had a block heater option that you could order. I never saw it, but I did read the service manual information, which mentioned there was a freeze plug was on the block, passenger side of the Jeep.

I couldn't find a similar freeze plug on my 2007 OM642 3.0L Sprinter to fit the Jeep part and, since I don't have a Jeep, I have never seen the place refererenced by the service manual.

Regardless, while the 3.0L OM642 in the Jeep is similar to the OM642 in the Sprinter, they are not identical.

In fact, there are something close to 2 dozen OM642 engine variants and only Daimler knows all the differences and they don't publish comprehensive lists for people like us, people that wish modify our Sprinters.

-Jon

Top Bottom