Transmission ATF change interval

DieselBob

I’m new to this forum and just learning about the maintenance and up keep for my new Roadtrek SS-Agile. The discussions on Rumble Strip Noise and ATF level got my attention so I started a web search on the matter. Another forum post mentioned Sliver Star Transmissions Oklahoma,(mentioned in another post here by hkpierce) where a rebuilt unit was obtained, with a dip stick! I thought this might be an aftermarket add on so I called Silver Star. It turns out the dip stick provided Was the MB tool W 140 589 15 21 00 for checking ATF level. Of more interest was what he told me about ATF fluid and filter change intervals for MB transmissions. He stated his warranty is based on a 30K mile drain period, although their web site doesn't mention it. I was told that MB transmission filters are actually filters as apposed fine screens used on other makes and if run the full OEM 60K mile change could be severely blocked damaging parts, especially on vehicles used in start and stop delivery service. Since they are in the repair business for MB transmissions they see what happens and have nothing to gain but their own warranty for the reduced intervals. Unless there’s information to the contrary, I think I’ll take his advise.

Top Bottom