Diesel fuel leak

Dennis Park

2006 Sprinter, on a cold start a get a leak towards the front of the engine. It is a pretty constant drip, quicts after I start driving and does not seem to happen again until another cold start.

Any ideas, have had to the dealer twice.

marsian

2006 Sprinter, on a cold start a get a leak towards the front of the engine. It is a pretty constant drip, quicts after I start driving and does not seem to happen again until another cold start.

Hi,

I have the OM647 derivative in my 2004 WG Jeep Grand Cherokee (South Africa). The common rail engines seems to use a similar high pressure fuel pump.

The most likely cause is the high pressure fuel pump. The unit has three pistons at 120 degrees and the o-rings inside the pump tend to perish from the high pressure. When the engine is cold the diesel will seep past the o-ring and when the engine temperature increases and expansion takes place the leak will reduce. Over time this leak will be continuous. The dealer Will probably want to replace the fuel pump (very expensive), but a good Bosch diesel mechanic can replace the o-rings as a kit is available. A pressure test should then also be performed on the pump on a test bench. This was the symptoms and solution on my vehicle.

The o-rings on the low pressure supply and return lines can also be a problem. Another possibility is that the low pressure lines underneath the fuel pump has a leak.

mcgintyrch

Dennis,

What was the outcome? I just had a similar problem and it was the fuel pump...after a mere 14.5K miles.....

Susanne

Top Bottom